Setup for blocking potential guests with bad review.

Answered!
Kamila92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Setup for blocking potential guests with bad review.

Hi, is there any setup for blocking potential guests with bad reviews? I have one inquiry for booking, and the guy has only 1 review for damage and didn't want to pay. How to avoid this kind of guests?

Thank you

1 Best Answer
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

There are many ways to avoid bad guests from booking your Airbnb property:
Don't hesitate to decline requests that don't feel like a good fit.

Require a minimum stay of 2 nights.

Create a detailed and informative check-in procedure and house manual, clearly outlining your expectations for guests regarding noise levels, housekeeping, and property usage. Include consequences for violations.

Sometimes I ask questionable guests to confirm that they read and accept the check-out procedure and the house rules before I accept the reservation. The good guests confirm and the bad guests vanish at that point.

Do not allow instant booking.
keep all communication with guests within the Airbnb platform.

Engage thoughtfully with potential guests. Ask relevant questions during the booking process to gauge their suitability and expectations.

I hope this helps.
Guy

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

There are many ways to avoid bad guests from booking your Airbnb property:
Don't hesitate to decline requests that don't feel like a good fit.

Require a minimum stay of 2 nights.

Create a detailed and informative check-in procedure and house manual, clearly outlining your expectations for guests regarding noise levels, housekeeping, and property usage. Include consequences for violations.

Sometimes I ask questionable guests to confirm that they read and accept the check-out procedure and the house rules before I accept the reservation. The good guests confirm and the bad guests vanish at that point.

Do not allow instant booking.
keep all communication with guests within the Airbnb platform.

Engage thoughtfully with potential guests. Ask relevant questions during the booking process to gauge their suitability and expectations.

I hope this helps.
Guy

Kamila92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you.

Kamila92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you 

Agree with Kamila92

I've been a host for 13 years and have learned quite a lot.   I never do instant booking ( too dangerous). Engage the guest in a polite conversation. You would like to know who will be politely staying at your home. If they are good people, they will answer you. Keep all correspondence on the platform. If they are shady, they will not respond. Or if they do and are in any way vague. Do not accept. It's not worth the problems that may arise, and believe me, some people are pretty good at playing this elusive game. I've learned quite a few unfortunate lessons ..... Any decent, upfront person will undoubtedly respond and should do so in a friendly, polite manner. 

Sadly, we live in a world where we must always be sharp. It's so nice to know who is coming into your home. Ask!! Most people will be glad you did; it will all work out fine. I have met and made some lovely friends. You become repeat guests this way... Remember, hosting is quite different from being a Hotel clerk. Best of Luck, sally 

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Kamila92 

Excellent advice from @Guy991 👍 and I couldn't have written better myself😉

If you have an "inquiry" then all you have to do is answer asap, no need to pre-approve or even decline as it is only your response time that is taken into consideration.  Only your response time for replying to that first question matters.

You could ask this guest their side of the story if you wanted as there have been cases of hosts wrongly accusing guests of breakages...

All the best

Joêlle

Kamila92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks

Kamila92
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot for the answer.