Something I wish I knew when I started

Carol6408
Level 2
Ammon, ID

Something I wish I knew when I started

I had a guest here recently that was REALLY Quiet.

SOOO Quiet that my other guest and I thought he was DEAD.  IMLO, even young people can die in their sleep.

From now on, when they FIRST get to my home, I'm going to ask for an emergency contact.

When someone lives 'far away' and is in my home/my property, I don't want to pay for their funeral and not have any way to contact their family and friends.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Carol6408 

In such unlikely event call the police, they will deal with the whole situation.

Carol6408
Level 2
Ammon, ID

Thank you, that's a good point.

As for me, I'd rather have the contact information and only call the police for Emergencies as I feel they are overworked to begin with.

Being dead isn't an emergency?! Was the guest actually dead or just quiet?

@Carol6408   In the very unlikely event that a guest dies in your house, nobody is going to make you pay for their funeral. Where ever did you get that idea?

In the more plausible event that someone has a health emergency and loses consciousness, don't lose valuable time trying to reach your guest's personal contacts - getting medical attention must take immediate priority over calling someone who can't actually help. You already have the emergency contact you need: it's called 911.

If you think you'd be somehow doing 911 a favor by not reporting an actual emergency, your good intentions are severely misplaced - the jobs of emergency workers become much harder if you wait too long to call them in. If you went unconscious in a stranger's house, who would you prefer them to call - an ambulance, or your mom?

Of course, it shouldn't reach that point if the guest is merely "quiet." There are ways of checking whether someone is alive or dead without calling a professional, but if they're just in their privately rented space with the door closed, they would really appreciate it if you just minded your own business.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The best type of guest to me is the one that behaves like they are half dead > talking about low maintenance.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Carol6408 

Welcome to ABB CC from across the miles of lands and oceans from New Zealand

Perhaps they are  struggling to try to cope with day to day living and have been overwhelmed with all the bombardment of what we are world-wide being subjected to.

Sometimes people either need a little Quiet space, or maybe they are not sure how to address things.

The reality is, none of us know what is going on an anyone else's lives at any given time.

Sometimes it's good to ask, 'Are you Ok?'

Or 'feel free to talk about something that may be on your mind'.

Did you open the doors to communication and offer a cup of something to drink?
Maybe they were shy or introverted, nervous or not sure what they were getting themselves into or have lost a loved one.

Maybe send the guest a message and offer to invite them around for a cuppa next time they are in the area so they know a door is open for them.

There's an enormous number of people suffering in silence with Mental well-being issues world-wide, sad to say.

It's great you have reached out here in CC as it shows you are a caring person to be concerned with another Human Beings well being.

All the best