Star rating

Fabiana310
Level 4
Uvita, Costa Rica

Star rating

I'm getting into my first full year of hosting with 48 reviews and a 5 star rating.  Now, I wasn't expecting to keep a 5 star rating forever but, what I don't understand is this....

Just today a guest left me a 4 overall rating, dropping my rating to 4.98.  The reason for the 4? Because she didn't like the colored pool light.  Really?

I probably know the answer to this, but are hosts at the mercy of guests that give RIDICULOUS reviews?  Could we dispute a review with airbnb? 

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Fabiana310 Nope you just have to be happy that this guest has stopped your 5 star run so that you are now more relaxed when guests award you 4 stars for stupid things!

Thanks Mike-And-Jane0, I guess so.  

Yes, this is so true. I had only 5 stars for a good while and lived with anxiety over every next rating ruining my 5 star streak. When I finally got my first 4 star, I rode the emotional roller coaster over it for a couple of days, but it eventually brought relief and helped me accept the subjectiveness of guests’ perceptions of the 5 star scale. We simply cannot control the weird reasons some people won’t give 5 stars. It’s all part of the growth experience as a host.

I have made peace with striving for 5 stars in every guest experience and being gracious in those rare times that a guest only gives 4. I think focusing on the positive of 4 instead of the negative of 4 makes me a happier host. 

Fortunately, I haven’t had an experience of replying to a guest with anger, or retribution (even though I wanted to a few times, like we all have). I wonder if it’s possible to contact AirBnB and explain that you reacted in a way you wish you hadn’t, and ask them to remove your reply and allow you to make a new reply? I don’t know, maybe it’s worth a try? 

You're right RoniSue0, first couple of days I was really bummed about my 4 star rating, now I've accepted it and don't hold my breath right before I read a review. 

I won't bother calling airbnb to see if they can delete my comment.  Soon it will drop to the bottom of the reviews, plus, I really don't think that one negative response from me will deter reservations.  

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Fabiana310 Any review can be disputed, but I doubt if you’ll win. There could be any one of a million reasons the guest didn’t like the colored lights and since it’s their perception, that’s what counts in the end. 

Also, on another note. I wish you had not of responded to guest in the manner you did. Again, guest’s perception. And guest gave your place a glowing compliment that you did not acknowledge. You zoomed right in on what bothered the guest even though guest said the rules were apparently necessary. 

You could have said something on a more positive note like this. “Thank you for the compliment on my rental. It’s my joy to create a wonderful  space that guest will enjoy. You’re right, the rules are necessary so all guests can have a relaxing and comfortable stay.” 

You didn’t even have to mention the lights. Always remember that your response to a review is what your next guest will see, and they want to know that a host can take a critique without taking it personally. 

Thanks Gwen386 for your response and input.  Yes I regret responding the way I did, i completely lost my cool, always best to let it sit for a day before responding which was always my rule. Again, much appreciated, and noted!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fabiana310 

Welcome to the world of Airbnb hosting Fabiana, as you have seen, no matter how hard you try you can't hang onto that perfect 5 forever.

To some guests there is no such thing as a 5.....perfection does not exist! Sooner or later something better will always come along.

If there is a positive about this one of yours, at least she gave you a reason.....dopey as it was, at least she volunteered it.

These are the ones that annoy me, and I have over 20 just like this one.....

T and G review.png

The guest loved it, not a thing to complain about except the temperature outside which, winter time in the hills is something a host has no control over. There is nothing whatsoever I can learn or improve on from that review! I can't change the colour of a light bulb and make that 4 disappear!!!

But despite that it didn't reach Airbnb's default review rating, and like you Fabiana, it and the 20 odd others I have like it have affected my overall rating and seen me penalised for something that only goes around in that guest's head.

You just accept it after a while Fabiana, it's just a part of Airbnb hosting.

Cheers.........Rob

Thanks Robin4 for sharing your experience, much appreciated...makes me feel better! Although this one review just irritated me, hard to swallow stupidity!  I would understand a 4 star rating because e.g. villa far from beach, or anything else, but a lightbulb?   Anyways, thanks again!!!