Suggestion for Airbnb re: ranking in search results

Erica55
Level 2
Newfane, VT

Suggestion for Airbnb re: ranking in search results

The elements of the formula for search results is a mystery, but I'd like to suggest that Airbnb should rank listings that are only/exclusively on Airbnb (not cross-listed on VRBO or Hipcamp or what have you) come up higher in search results, to reward hosts for loyalty in only using the one platform.

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Erica55 A nice idea and one I would support. Sadly it would make financial sense for Airbnb to do the opposite so that they win the business over VRBO etc. I fear the financial reality may win out over rewarding loyalty.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

I don’t want AirBnB to do this. I like my rental competing with others—similar to the thousands of hotels out there. If I can’t find what I’m looking for, I’m okay with searching another hotel or platform. I want hosts rewarded for 5*, price, location, amenities, inclusiveness, etc., not just because they’re on AirBnB. 

On another note. I do a search on my rental and sometimes my listing is as far down as screen 9, but I don’t care. As someone looking for something specific, i.e, full kitchen, privacy, no stairs, they will keep scrolling until they find it. Then when they can’t find it, as with a hotel, they look elsewhere. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

after years of being on ABB only, I had to make a decision to add VRBO after one of the roll out of new changes that really didn’t benefit hosts. Now I get 2/3 of my bookings in this other platform. It’s too bad really

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It is a noble idea, but has a 'purity' aspect to it that may undermine it. Isn't the essence of the star and  Superhost systems, granted both not perfect, designed to do that in a way?

The one I find a real 'killer' is listings that have zero reviews with Aibnb (mind you for years) which oftentimes have excellent ranking positions when one uses categories.