Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Tenant mentally altered?

Laura7797
Level 2
Livingston, TX

Tenant mentally altered?

I think my tenant may be mentally altered.  I have an elderly lady and she is reaching out to me multiple times daily for help with things that are very simple and have already been explained.  This last message says she is scared to poo because she thinks the toilet may not flush.  I've checked it and it's fine.  I want to be kind, but I she burst into tears over my showing her for the third time how to use an electric kettle.

Sigh...what are my obligations here?

3 Replies 3
Laura7797
Level 2
Livingston, TX

OK...now she says she can't poo because she thinks the toilet will explode.  She's wandering around in the yard near my porch talking to herself. 

@Laura7797 

Dementia I have dealt with it is not to be taken lightly.  Serious consequences could happen if not assisted,

First ask her if there is a family member you can contact, just say something simple want to let them know your okay, want to confirm They know your exit plan can't be to safe.  You don't want to upset somebody having mental issues and the best for everyone is for her family to assist her.

If you can't get a family member number then you do need to consider how serious is her instability.

If annoying but not invasive to you.  Most religious organizations with people experienced with seniors.  They have people that can visit her at your site and access needs, but that is a couple days wait.

If you can't wait a few days, your concerned,  Call your non- emergency police number and explain situation.  The police are trained for this situation.  Sometimes they just have to call family instead of a host calling.  Sometimes and in my situation went very nicely that my guest agreed to go the State Hospital for an evaluation.

Εμμανουήλ4
Level 2
Ierapetra, Greece

Patience and understanding, dear, we have encountered it, even in simple things that we repeat endless times, what else can you do!