Threaten by guest and asked for full refund

Juan4516
Level 1
Longueuil, Canada

Threaten by guest and asked for full refund

Hi everyone,I am a beginner, recently a guest reserved 54 nights, but he did not check-in until the second day. then he said there was strong ordr and asked me full refund. I did not agree with this,and BnB also said he did not have enough proof, the reservation was still effective. the other day he said he can stay for this month and asked me to meet inperson . ny husband went the  rented house,then the most horrible nightmare came,he locked the door and forced my.husband sit there ,ordered him to cancel the reservation. I called 911 immediately, the guy went away while the police came.

I.also  made several complaints to BnB, but which to my surprise,they finally cancelled it and gave full refund to the.guy without any reasonable explanation. 

they even ignored such a serious violence and dose not asked my opinion about refund .What shoud I do .I am really panic,disappointed,and hopeless😭

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am so sorry to hear this what a truly dreadful situation for your family made so much worse by Airbnb refunding a guest who has held your husband literally to ransom @Juan4516  @Stephanie  can your team raise this please

Hosts should expect Airbnb to support them in these sort of situations not reward guests who threaten a hosts safety .

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Juan4516 

This is scary to hear. 

Rule number 1 as a host is to keep distance from your guest. 

Rule number 2 is to screen guest ID before opening the door. 

As for the ransome part, you should report the guest and ask for full payout. 2nd, you shall immediately reach out to an attorney and file a personal injury case. 

Personal injury cases are usually contingent upon the recovery fees, so you shall find a good attorney. 

thanks for your kind reply , the ridiculous thing is BnB said safety team may block the guest'account,but it's another business,they think the odor(which is only nonsense,just the guest 's excuse) has been violet the Hosting standard ,so they made full refund back. this is the most ridiculous ,how can they trust a word without any   photos or proofs😭

btw,if there is nobody injure physically ,just mentally ,can I am also entitled to file a injure case?

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Juan4516 

I don’t have an answer for you, but you shall reach to an attorney if you were truly held ransom and has police record to support your claim. 

Airbnb will do 2 things.

1st investigate the cleanliness of the listing. If guest is proved to claim false, you will be repaid out, and generally full. it just takes long time and you need to call Airbnb many times to prove your listing is clean

2nd investigation of the guest’s ransom behavior. If true, guest will get blocked from the platform. 

you better leave a general review of the guest to maintain platform safety ( just say 1 thing, “nightmare guest” don’t mention the details)

Again, priority 1 is to stay safe on Airbnb. you need to protect yourself

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Juan4516 

I'm so sorry to hear about this, it must have been a really challenging situation to deal with.

We've passed the details you've given us about the incident over to the Safety team, asked them to investigate, and to make contact with you.

I really hope they're able to help support you and get things back on track.

Feel free to let us know once you've spoken to them.

Thanks to @Helen3 for tagging @Stephanie  - you're always welcome to tag myself, @Breanna@Quincy@Bhumika and @Paula as we're always to provide a speedy reply and some help wherever we can! 

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines