Unapproved Pets Beware

Still-Waters0
Level 2
Alexandria, VA

Unapproved Pets Beware

I just had a guest visit my property with two unapproved pets, a large Rottweiler and a large Belgian Malignois. The Rottweiler was probably over 130lbs, and the Belgian Malignois was probably over 100. After the guest checked out I asked if they had unapproved pets at the property. They acknowledged they had the pets at the property. Initially the guest tried to minimize how long the pets were at the property, but eventually agreed the pets were at the property during the entire rental. The guest tried every approach possible to avoid penalty and charges. They eventually called Air BnB and claimed the dogs were service animals. The dogs were clearly not ADA compliant service animals. They were running through the woods near the house and tracking mud back into the property. They had no vest or harness. They didn’t appear to be favoring any one guest as a service dog would do. This was clearly an attempt to avoid penalties or additional charges. Air BnB completely sided with the dishonest guest. Stating that the animals were service dogs and there is no burden of proof for any guest to provide as it relates to service animals. 

I have a friend who has a service horse, I guess if they are an Air BnB guest, then they  can bring their horse into your home unannounced. 

I know another person that has several trained security and attack dogs, one is a very destructive 225lb Great Dane. According to Air BnB they can bring the entire group of them to your property as an Air BnB guest unannounced and claim them to be service dogs when confronted.

1 Reply 1
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Hello,

I am a relatively new host and have been reading posts daily, just to understand.  I have to admit that this thread was an eye opener.  Thank you for sharing this insight.