Unplanned power outage/Airbnb refund to guests comes from host's takings

Frances52
Level 5
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom

Unplanned power outage/Airbnb refund to guests comes from host's takings

Just wanted to share my experience in hopes it'll be helpful to future hosts who may have similar situation.

We had a recent unplanned power outage from evening 5pm till following day 12 noon in the area. 

We live in a rural area and have been hosting for 7 years. We occasionally have minor power or water outage. We have powerbanks, portable gas stoves, camping lights etc ready for such eventualities. 

I just encountered the first time a guest has contacted Airbnb and then messaged me:

"Hey Fran, just so you know we reached out to Airbnb support to see where we stood as clearly it's not your fault that there was a power cut so wanted to see if there were any insurances etc as would be unfair of us to expect you to rebate us for the issues. They've said they will likely get in touch with you 👍" I replied okay, I would watch out for Airbnb message.

So, Airbnb has called me and said according to "Airbnb policy, guest can be refunded 30% of cost of first night stay," and if I was okay with that. I said, yes. Then, after I had agreed, I was told that this 30% would be deducted from our future earnings as payout for this booking has already been sent.

Bit cheeky way of phrasing things, isn't it? I don't know whether Airbnb would have compensated my guest if I had not agreed. I imagine not. Airbnb would probably have asked guest to try and negotiate a refund from us.

I don't mind refunding 30% to my guest for the inconvenience even though not our fault.

But I wanted to understand what exactly is covered by Aircover to both hosts and guests. So, I  scoured this community support site to see what other hosts have experienced or done in similar situation. 

I also debated whether to let my guest know that this refund comes from host and not any 'insurance.'

My conclusion: 

Aircover only covers guests for 'serious' issues. (And even then, I suspect the refund would be deducted from host, e.g. if there was misleading listing, not providing important amenity as stated in listing).

Also, I think it'll probably be helpful to share with guest what is actually covered by Aircover for guests. And that the partial refund comes from host, so he will know in future whether he wants to do so or not. (Given that from his message, I get the feeling he did not set out to penalise us for something beyond our control.)

So, anyways, I'm sharing with you my fellow hosts,  including screengrabs of Aircover wordings for both guests and hosts.

Screenshot_20240720_211718_Airbnb.jpg

Screenshot_20240720_211800_Airbnb.jpg

Screenshot_20240720_211926_Airbnb.jpg

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Frances52 All Aircover claims go to the host or guest first. Only if they do not agree does Airbnb consider making payment but there is no control over Airbnb as the product is not an insurance policy. This feels sensible to me as why should Airbnb pay when it is a guest/host issue.

Frances52
Level 5

I'm not asserting that Airbnb should pay. I'm just commenting on the way it was handled or portrayed by Airbnb. E.g. With mentions about 'Airbnb policy' on compensation to guests. Which gives impression, IMO, to guest that Airbnb compensates guest, which they do not. E.g. in support message below, 'flavour' of it.

Screenshot_20240721_130104_Airbnb.jpg

Also, my guest's communication with me (below) affirms my point. Clearly, my guest, if they realised that Airbnb doesn't have such 'cover' to compensate guest, but that it comes from host, would not have pursued the matter I reckon.

Screenshot_20240722_080422_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_080440_WhatsApp.jpg

Hi Frances, interesting situation. I also have a rural property and we have power outages occasionally. Here's what I do:

I say in my 'other things to note' that I don't refund for power outages (although I'm thinking 30 mins here or there, max 2 hrs is usually what happens in bad weather). No guest has ever complained about that. We supply candles and torches and a way for at least fresh water to be available and lots of bunting lights in the bedrooms battery powered.

If its a larger outage, I immediately before even the guest contacts airbnb support (because frankly, I feel I lose control of the situation then and it can go any which way), if there was an outage of that length, I would be refunding at least 50 to 100% of that day immediately. Being on the front foot helps me to hopefully rescue and keep a good review, even if its not my fault. I'm not 100% convinced your guest would have not claimed if they knew it came from you and not from insurance (and most guests in my experience think it would come from the host to be honest in my experience). So I read that as code for another polite way of saying, where's my refund?....

Then I would separately be investigating my own insurance if its worth the claim. That length of time, if it was summer, means food might be spoilt etc, but if it was winter here, I would be fine.

Just my perspective, Kind regs MK

Frances52
Level 5

Hi Mary, yes, we've had occasional outages and this is the first time a guest has asked for anything off, or gone to Airbnb first then informed me about it, so I was a bit surprised. Thank you for your comment and helpful suggestions. 

You wrote: "I'm not 100% convinced your guest would have not claimed if they knew it came from you and not from insurance (and most guests in my experience think it would come from the host to be honest in my experience). So I read that as code for another polite way of saying, where's my refund?...." 

I'm not sure what he would have done had he known refund/compensation would have come from host, but from his message (screengrabbed below) that's the impression I got. Certainly, if he had asked me directly, I would have been happy to give him some refund anyways for the inconvenience.

OutageRefund.jpg

Anyhoo, either way, despite the provision of battery lamps, portable gas stove etc for the outage (5pm on first night to noon next day), refund of 30% off first night stay, while he left us a positive review, he rated our 'value' at 4 stars. Win some , lose some, I guess.