What are your best practices for communicating with guests before and during their stay?

Dina951
Level 3
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

What are your best practices for communicating with guests before and during their stay?

IMG_9542.jpeg

I would be grateful if you could share your experiences with me. 😊

23 Replies 23
Ema3296
Level 8

❤️.

Carmen23
Level 3
Hillarys, Australia

Hello @Dina951, I am writing to you from Perth, Australia. I have been hosting for some 9 years. I live alone in a 4 bedroom house near the beach. 

I had a variety of experiences some great, good, and others quite unnerving leaving me with a different outlook when hosting. 

Your safety and well being has to be at the top of the list. I dearly hope you have someone sharing the property on per,anent basis. Hosts have absolutely no idea as to who to expect in regards to personality, ideas and behaviour.

Unfortunately hosts are always at the mercy of reviews. Some guests think that just because they are paying for their accommodation they can live like pigs. You remind them he tly that they are not on their own and that as respect to other guests they must keep quiet times after 10 p.m. for example. Common sense rules go out the window with some people. And now, guess what they leave you a bad review complaining about everything they can think of.

I am a Senior person and stress is never too far away with some guests.

I hope you are a patient person because there are time when you actually have to keep your mouth shut as unfair as it all is.  

All the best and STAND your ground always. All the blessings.

Dina951
Level 3

@Carmen23 thank you for your thoughtful message and for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your insights on hosting, especially regarding the importance of safety and managing expectations with guests. It’s reassuring to hear your perspective, and I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind as I navigate this journey.

Wishing you all the best as well!

Best regards

Yet another perfect example and explanation of why SHARED STRUCTURES (rooms occupied by guests in a hosts home) truly need non-privacy invading cameras to add security for ALL present, including other guests. If at any moment, myself or another guest could appear simultaneously in the very same spot of a structure, then how is a camera in the same spot a privacy issue? It's not. I risk potential harm, or simple undesirable disruption, to a guest in my kitchen as I bring dogs into it to let them outside, because I am not allowed to be able to see if it's occupied first because of the ridiculous camera rule. IF NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY EXISTS IN AN AREA (because other guests or the host owner resident can appear there at any moment) THEN A DEVICE FOR IMPROVING COMFORT AND SAFETY FOR ALL, IN A NON PRIVATE AREA, SHOULD BE ACCEPTABLE AND NOT CAUSE FOR LOSING ONES LIVELIHOOD OR THE PLATFORM LOSING GOOD HOSTS. 

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Dina951  I take full advantage of the Airbnb automated messaging system to send welcome messages as well as pertinent info such as codes, where to park etc. 

This is not without problems however as many guests never open their app after booking and will not see their messages. In an effort to combat that, I send those important messages via email and text. Redundancy is key. Some get annoyed however I would rather that than someone calling me at midnight from my door step asking me what the code is. 
Hope this helps. 

Karen
Dina951
Level 3

Hi @Karen114 ,

thank you very much for sharing your experience. I always try not to be too boring, but at the same time convey everything the guests need to know.

Best regards 😊

I totally agree with @Karen114 . I overdo it on occasion especially if they are not communicating with me before check in. After check in I don't bother them at all I feel they should be left alone. We live close enough and can drive by and also have neighbors that watch for us so we can address anything before it becomes an issue.

Lori

Damian396
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

@Dina9 
I will give you my simple response that has secured my Super Host in 4 months of being a host 

1. Always use the Airbnb platform 
2. Provide your mobile number for emergencies (particularly around checkin)
3. Message I send before (I have templates that I copy paste /or automate
- A thank you for choosing our home - I send this on booking
- We hope you are excited for your stay with house rules - I send this the day before arrival

- Check in details/ door lock - I send this 4hrs before check in

- We hope you are enjoying your stay / Perhaps try these recommendations [insert restaurant etc] - I send this mid way through stay 
- thank you and check out info - The day before check out
- Secondary thank you / secure a review - I send this a few days after they leave if I havent had a review 

4. All above are quick copy / paste customize with name etc but in addition - when they message you - the advice is simple - AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE

Dina951
Level 3

@Damian396 thank you for sharing your insights! I appreciate your approach, especially the use of automated messages. I’m always looking for ways to improve my hosting. I’m excited to implement some of these ideas. Thanks again for your support and guidance! 😊

Shawn872
Level 2
Stephens City, VA

I see that your place is in Sarajevo, so I'll readily admit that I do not know what sort of cultural norms and practices should be taken into consideration with communicating with guests etc.  Our places is a humble lake cottage in North Carolina, USA.  

My objectives for communication with the guests are:

1. To make sure they have the information they need to feel confident on how to find the place, get inside, etc.

2. To reassure them that I am interested in helping them have a good time and NOT bothered by them reaching out (some guests may be annoying but most aren't and don't want to feel like a nuisance).  

3. To create a sense in their mind that they can reach out about minor issues that I may be able to resolve, and so possibly preempt a bad review.  

I use a mix of automated messages, message templates, and personal messages I type myself.  The flow of communication looks like:

5 min after booking (automated):

the guest receives and automated thanking them for their booking, informing them that I'll send check in instructions when they they are a week out from their stay.  I acknowledge that this was an automated message but that they can feel free to ask any questions via the airbnb app. 

sometimes I'll follow this up with a personal message, especially if they give the reason for their stay, (ex to celebrate a birthday with their family).  I'll respond to that to say "I hope that you all have a wonderful and relaxing time as you celebrate).  And then I reiterate that they should feel free to reach out with questions.   

1 week from their stay (automated):

the guest receives a message with all of the check in instructions, wifi password, address, directions, what to expect on their drive in, and a reiteration of the top house rules.  I also say that they can expect that I'll message them after check in to make sure that everything went smoothly and just before check out, and as needed if anything comes up.  I want them to know what to expect in terms of me reaching out to them, while assuring them that they can contact me with anything they need.  

24-36 hrs post check in (message template):

"Hi <guest first name>, just wanted to touch base to say that I hope y’all were able to find the place ok, get checked in smoothly, and that everything looks satisfactory for you all.

No pressure to respond, but please let me know if you have any questions or if we can do anything to make your stay better.

Enjoy!!"

I had a recent guest respond that everything was going well but did mention a minorish issue that I was unaware of but was able to resolve within 24 hours.  To me, that may have prevented a sub 5* review, that I may have been blindsided by, but because I'd created a dialogue that the guest felt comfortable to mention the issue, I was able to take care of it.  

14 hours prior to checkout (template):

If their stay has been uneventful, I'll send a template that thanks them again for staying with us, giving check out instructions, and communicating that we hope that we have earned a 5* review from them.  

Review process:

once I get feedback from my cleaner, I'l leave a professional and courteous review.  And then I will ALWAYS respond back to their review in a warm manner.  

Hope this helps.  I've only been hosting for a year but its been fun and successful so far! 

Dina951
Level 3

@Shawn872 , thank you for the detailed message! I really appreciate you sharing your approach. I share a similar way of communicating with guests, as I believe it’s crucial for their experience. Like you, I want to provide them with all the necessary information so they feel safe and welcome from the moment they book their stay.

It’s important to me that guests know what to expect, whether it’s details about their arrival, instructions for using the property, or simply the house rules. Through clear and open communication, I aim to create a sense of trust so that guests don’t feel like a burden if they have questions or need additional information. I assure them that I’m here to help and that any concerns or questions they have are welcome.

In this way, I not only enhance their satisfaction but also reduce the risk of potential issues that could lead to negative reviews. I completely agree that open dialogue is key to a successful stay, and I’m glad to hear you feel the same way!

Best regards

Traci256
Level 2
McMinnville, OR

Hi Dina,

I have been hosting in Manzanita, Oregon (USA), for just about a year and a half so I'm still pretty green at this. My practice is to send our incoming guests a personal message - one day before check in - with detailed check-in information, as well as a sincerely worded reminder that they can always reach out for questions and concerns at any time during their stay. I like to personally connect with guests, rather than automate communication, as I like to add that personal touch. For example, if a guest informs me that they are staying with us to celebrate a birthday/milestone, then I always try to include a birthday, congratulatory, or well-wish. Hope this helps! 🙂

Traci  

Frances52
Level 6
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom

Hi @Dina951 , we have been hosting for about 8 years. Our holiday lets are on our property, so we want our guests to know that we live here too and it is our home (hint: please be respectful).

I echo what some other hosts have shared with you. So, apologies in advance if some things are repeated.

Here is what we do:

1. Scheduled pre-arrival message when booking is confirmed with everything from how to check-in, google map link to our door (as GPS or Satnav is inaccurate as we are in a rural area), parking instruction, local amenities (restaurant, pubs etc) and attractions link (as we have a website). Saves us answering questions about places to go or eat or shop etc (though, occasionally, this still happens LOL). 

2. Welcome folder in holiday let

Everything from house rules, how to use stuff (heater, shower, tv etc), places to go, local village map and facilities, plus a welcome message that ends with 'Complaints, queries or need help?' and mobile/WhatsApp invitation for more speedy response during stay

3. Scheduled check-out message sent 24 hours before check-out to remind guests of check-out time and to look in welcome folder for 'when you leave' instructions

I reckon that covers pretty much pre-stay and during stay. This format seems to work for us, and we have tweaked as we have gone along.

Most guests read messages, respond and actually follow instructions. There will be outliers who do not however and will ignore messages on the app or have obviously not bothered to even look in the welcome folder. But that is part and parcel of the business, and thankfully, our experience is that this is perhaps 1 out of every 8 guests or so.

All the best with your holiday rental 🙂

Julie5163
Level 2
Bryan, TX

Hello Dina-

Using the messaging page on ABNB, and thinking “what would I want to know if I were a guest” I message about 3 times during stay - most are saved in the quick chat and then I heavily edit to personalize -

first one is sent about a week before arrival -  includes thorough detailed directions, where to get groceries, what we supply and what they can expect staying at our place;.

The next after check in asking “let me know if there are any issues” or “does everything meet your expectations”

Lastly, a brief check out instructions if In feel it is needed.

My listing is on Lake Travis near Austin in Texas!!   Y’all come see us !!