What does "no smoking" mean???

Answered!
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

What does "no smoking" mean???

So, I'm left wondering... when I listed my property and check "no smoking" - that meant to me, that there was to be no smoking, inside or out.  But as I read the forums, many interpret it to mean no smoking indoors only.  

I just had a guest chain smoke on the patio - and I feel he didn't follow the house rules.  But maybe I'm alone in this thinking?

1 Best Answer
Natasha3
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

My listing says "No smoking anywhere on the property" but in my house manual I specify Not in the hallway, not on the porch, not by the window. 

Some people willingly on unwillingly interpret "property" the way it suits them, so it's better to specify to avoid unnecessary confrontation. Our house layout is such that the porch is right below my windows so all that smoke and stench gets inside.

View Best Answer in original post

75 Replies 75

"No Smoking" to me means no smoking inside the property. 

However, I can see how you wouldn't necessarily want someone smoking near windows or leaving cigarette butts laying around, so it should be your right to clarify that it is no smoking on the entire property, but you might want to add extra wording to the rules so people understand that.