What to do about weird cancellation

Answered!
Mary-Lisa1
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

What to do about weird cancellation

Hello,

I would appreciate some support on a cancellation request. To make it easier to understand I will explain below with bullets:

1. Guest altered this request 5 times with dramatic stories each time. The request has been altered all of these times over 8 months.
  2. Guest wants to cancel for a booking that is in 2 weeks because of a car wreck, and she sent several gruesome pictures to "prove it".
  3. Our cancellation policy is STRICT so I understand that they will have to pay 50%.
  4. She is asking for a full refund.

What would YOU do with this?

Thanks for any support, we are new, and are confused by the best course of action here.

Mary Lisa

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Mary-Lisa1 While it is sad that the guest was potentially in a car accident (if this is even true given her history of dramatic storytelling), these are circumstances beyond your control and where things like travel insurance should come into play. At the end of the day whether we have 100 properties or rent a room in our home, Airbnb is a business that provides us some level of financial support.

In all honesty I think you have been more than accommodating by allowing her to make alterations FIVE times.  These alterations ultimately affect your calendar and availability.  Additionally, one dramatic story, maybe two, is believable, but six is reaching. I would be willing to bet the car accident was fabricated or embellished to some degree.

At the end of the day, a car accident is not considered an extenuating circumstance, and you have no obligation to refund her. Personally, speaking I would not. I would however ask her to cancel and offer her an additional refund should the dates be able to be rebooked. I would say something to the following degree:

"Hello (Insert guest name) I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope you recover swiftly. Unfortunately, given that your reservation is in less than two weeks, it would not be feasible for me to go outside my cancellation policy and offer a full refund, as the dates are not likely to be re-booked. I do however encourage guest who cannot fulfill their reservation to cancel, so the dates become available to other potential guest.  In the event I re-book any of those days, I will offer you an additional refund. "

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Mary-Lisa1 While it is sad that the guest was potentially in a car accident (if this is even true given her history of dramatic storytelling), these are circumstances beyond your control and where things like travel insurance should come into play. At the end of the day whether we have 100 properties or rent a room in our home, Airbnb is a business that provides us some level of financial support.

In all honesty I think you have been more than accommodating by allowing her to make alterations FIVE times.  These alterations ultimately affect your calendar and availability.  Additionally, one dramatic story, maybe two, is believable, but six is reaching. I would be willing to bet the car accident was fabricated or embellished to some degree.

At the end of the day, a car accident is not considered an extenuating circumstance, and you have no obligation to refund her. Personally, speaking I would not. I would however ask her to cancel and offer her an additional refund should the dates be able to be rebooked. I would say something to the following degree:

"Hello (Insert guest name) I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope you recover swiftly. Unfortunately, given that your reservation is in less than two weeks, it would not be feasible for me to go outside my cancellation policy and offer a full refund, as the dates are not likely to be re-booked. I do however encourage guest who cannot fulfill their reservation to cancel, so the dates become available to other potential guest.  In the event I re-book any of those days, I will offer you an additional refund. "

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary-Lisa1 as you have been buggered about 5 times I think it is time to cut and run and reject her refund request. The most I would offer is a refund of what you have received If and only if you get rebooked.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

After 5 changes, I just wouldn't believe them and would say no to a full refund.  This person sounds like a total flake.