What to include in the check out list?

What to include in the check out list?

I'm a new host and would like to know what to include in the checkout list. Appreciate your time and suggestion in advance.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Ladan38 all we asked was that people shut the windows, locked the door and took out the trash. We specifically asked people not to strip the beds as it is hard to then spot if there is a need to treat stains.

Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Ladan38 

We ask guests to do the following: put trash and recycling in bins in the unit (we take it out after they leave), turn off lights, open shades (so we know they left - now sometimes guests click the check out button but I’ve only had a few guests actually do this), put dishes in the dishwasher or sink, check if you left anything behind in the fridge, washer/dryer, bed, bathroom, lock the door, please sign our guestbook if they feel inclined, and please complete a review within 14 days of checkout. 

I personally don’t like to be asked to take out the trash, strip the bed (it’s hard to treat for stains if there are any), put on the wash, as that is why we pay the cleaning fee (and I actually do my dishes, put it away, clean the stove without being asked but asking is a bit much). I do treat each space like my own and tidy up before leaving.

Some hosts ask to put towels in a pile in the bathtub or laundry basket which could be helpful to know what is used or not. I once had a couple of guests who washed towels and piled them on top of the clean ones and I wasn’t sure about the status so I washed all the towels again.