What to include in the check out list?

What to include in the check out list?

I'm a new host and would like to know what to include in the checkout list. Appreciate your time and suggestion in advance.

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Ladan38 all we asked was that people shut the windows, locked the door and took out the trash. We specifically asked people not to strip the beds as it is hard to then spot if there is a need to treat stains.

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your feedback. Very helpful.

Lorina14
Top Contributor
Bellevue, WA

@Ladan38 

We ask guests to do the following: put trash and recycling in bins in the unit (we take it out after they leave), turn off lights, open shades (so we know they left - now sometimes guests click the check out button but I’ve only had a few guests actually do this), put dishes in the dishwasher or sink, check if you left anything behind in the fridge, washer/dryer, bed, bathroom, lock the door, please sign our guestbook if they feel inclined, and please complete a review within 14 days of checkout. 

I personally don’t like to be asked to take out the trash, strip the bed (it’s hard to treat for stains if there are any), put on the wash, as that is why we pay the cleaning fee (and I actually do my dishes, put it away, clean the stove without being asked but asking is a bit much). I do treat each space like my own and tidy up before leaving.

Some hosts ask to put towels in a pile in the bathtub or laundry basket which could be helpful to know what is used or not. I once had a couple of guests who washed towels and piled them on top of the clean ones and I wasn’t sure about the status so I washed all the towels again. 

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your feedback. You mentioned some great points and I very much appreciate it.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ladan38 I think it depends on the property.

If your place is small and you charge a decent cleaning fee, asking for nothing might make sense.

If you live in a tropical climate or in a remote wooded area, asking to dispose all food so not to attract creatures might make sense.

If you live somewhere very humid, asking to leave towels in the tub might make sense

If you charge a minimal cleaning fee, asking to start a wash, a dishwasher etc might make sense.

I think you get the point.

Personally, I ask to take out the trash, start the dishwasher, clean exuberant messes and move back any furniture if it were moved. I host big groups so if I do not ask for this, I might be stuck with 10 bags of trash, heavy couch moved to the other side of the house and three days worth of dishes piled high.

As a guest, I hate instructions. I will naturally do my best to clean up but hate a long to do list even if everything on it as minor. It makes me anxious.

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your feedback.

Khadija92
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

@Ladan38 I try to keep it simple and ask to turn AC and lights off and to keep the parking remote inside the place as sometimes it's a hassle when guests take it with them and I need to replace it. 

Katrina419
Level 2
Richmond, KY

Take out trash

load/do dirty dishes 

put used towels in shower 

turn AC/Heat down

turn off all lights 

put any moved furniture back in the proper place 

clean out refrigerator 

I typed out this list and hung on the refrigerator so guests can easily see. 

Kimberly1232
Level 2
Columbia, TN

@Ladan38 I'm new, too, but I thought long and hard about it. They are paying good rates, and they pay a cleaning fee. They really shouldn't have to do much, if anything.  At first, I asked them to take out trash when they leave and put dirty dishes in the dishwasher (and to throw out any perishable food they bring).  I do ask they take the trash out to the outdoor can if their inside trash is full to overflowing and they aren't leaving yet.

I think I am going to change it to just take it out if it overflowing and not leave perishable food sitting out. I have been amazed at what some hosts ask of guests, especially if you pay a hefty cleaning fee. The problem from the guests' side is you don't know until after you have booked and paid. As a guest myself, when I thought the checkout was overboard, I didn't give a poor review (I kind of wanted to, but I'm not like that); I  just didn't give them a review.  So, knowing how I have felt as a guest, I think less is more. 

Larry623
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

@Ladan38 Turn off lights, fans, TV and AC. Return remotes to the kitchen table. Sign out of streaming services.  Check for belongings left behind. Place used towels on shower floor. Don't strip the beds. Tidy up a bit.  That's it. No taking out trash or starting laundry or cleaning.  That's what the cleaning fee covers.  Pretty basic requests.

I ask for all doors and windows to be closed. Bed stripped and piled with dirty towels. And lastly, that they leave the key where they found it. Very simple instructions. 

Lil3
Level 2
Bayview Heights, Australia

I don’t ask them to do anything . They already have a description on my site saying lockup and turn off aircon when not in room.  So never had a need for checkout list 

Just to leave the key on the table and have a safe trip home.  I consider the clean up is included in the cleaning fee.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ladan38, our hosts have brought up some great points 💡

We look forward to hearing your thoughts 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad