What to include in the check out list?

What to include in the check out list?

I'm a new host and would like to know what to include in the checkout list. Appreciate your time and suggestion in advance.

31 Replies 31

I totally understand that! I do not want them not to leave food out, and I do ask them to throw it out or take it —not leave it in the apartment. I finally decided to request they take their trash out on the way out. It's right next to where they park, so that shouldn't be a hassle. I just dont want to go overboard on checkout duties because, from the guest side, I have experienced some doozies while paying over $100 cleaning fee for a 2-3 night stay.  

Thank you for taking the time and share your thoughts and experience. You have a good point and I very much agree that they should be taking the trash out. 

Larry623
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

@Ladan38 Turn off lights, fans, TV and AC. Return remotes to the kitchen table. Sign out of streaming services.  Check for belongings left behind. Place used towels on shower floor. Don't strip the beds. Tidy up a bit.  That's it. No taking out trash or starting laundry or cleaning.  That's what the cleaning fee covers.  Pretty basic requests.

Thank you for taking the time and share your thoughts and experience. Yes, that's what I listed and I think it's a very small ask. 

I ask for all doors and windows to be closed. Bed stripped and piled with dirty towels. And lastly, that they leave the key where they found it. Very simple instructions. 

Lil3
Level 2
Bayview Heights, Australia

I don’t ask them to do anything . They already have a description on my site saying lockup and turn off aircon when not in room.  So never had a need for checkout list 

Just to leave the key on the table and have a safe trip home.  I consider the clean up is included in the cleaning fee.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ladan38, our hosts have brought up some great points 💡

We look forward to hearing your thoughts 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi Paula, yes, this was a great and very informative conversation. I have gained a lot. Thanks.

Eric5317
Level 3
Portland, OR

Biggest complaint from guests are long checkout lists after paying for cleaning fees. On all my properties I ask the guests to lock the doors/windows and cover the hot tub. Thats all. 

Thank you for taking the time and share your thoughts and experience, Eric. That's a great point. I'll keep it simple as well.

Greg2406
Level 6
Rockport, TX

Ladan; 

Ask the Guests to write in a Guest Book, turn up AC to 80, take out trash, place used/wet towels on only the tiled portions of the bathroom floors, lock up.   Prior to check-out we always communicate with the Guests to see how their time was, what did they like the most about their stay.   Subsequent to the Guests leaving, if they left the property in very good condition, send them a message thanking them for taking such good care of your home and that they are the '5 Star' guest that you appreciate.   We will often offer a substantial discount and even specialty services to Guests that took extra care of the property and we will let them know in the follow-up messages.

Greg   

Hi Greg, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Very valuable and I appreciate you sharing with us.

Loraine42
Level 2
Gladstone, ND

We ask our guests just to leave the beds and I take them apart. It seems that a lot of guests roll up the bedding into a big ball which makes it harder for me. Also I can check to see if stains are on them before I wash them. I provide breakfast food for the first morning as our community doesn't have any food stores or restaurants. If I have one or two guests staying one night I ask that they leave the few dishes in the sink instead of putting in dishwasher (it wastes water)  

Linda4207
Level 2
Finley, OK

welcome @Ladan38 

We ask that they strip the sheets and place them in the laundry basket with any used towels.
we also ask them to leave any washed dishes in the sink, take the kitchen trash to the outdoor trash can and make sure the ac/heaters and lights are off. Sounds like a lot but there hasn’t been any complaints.