What to include in the check out list?

What to include in the check out list?

I'm a new host and would like to know what to include in the checkout list. Appreciate your time and suggestion in advance.

37 Replies 37
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Actually updated the checkout instructions earlier today after seeing this topic.

What we ask for:

-Return keys

-Close windows

-Let us know after checkout

That's it. Simple and sweet. 

Yes, sweet and simple. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Livia120
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Yes I now keep it super simple too and I also ask guests to hang any used towels in the bathroom, just a bit more hygienic than a damp ball on the floor or on the beds 😂

Loraine42
Level 2
Gladstone, ND

I keep it short and only ask my guests to pick up after themselves. I ask that they leave the beds and not to take apart. It allows me to check for stains before I wash the sheets etc.

Bradley181
Level 2
Tampa, FL

@Ladan38 I basically have everything in my guidebook already and then either refer for example pet waste or damage and make sure basic items like garage door remotes and keys are placed back in the zippered envelope they found it in and to place on the kitchen table or counter. Make it as simple as possible!

Ljubomir11
Level 2
NS, Serbia

Hello @Ladan38 

Welcome to the community.

Sooner or later, you'll realize that not everyone will follow all the listed instructions, and that's perfectly fine. 

Based on my experience, I like to list the important things for me, such as:

1. Switch off all appliances.
  2. Close all windows and doors.
  3. Take out the rubbish.
  4. Leave the keys in the lockbox.

The same list can be found in the house rules, framed and positioned for easy visibility. Additionally, the same list is sent via a scheduled message the day before departure.

@Ladan38 I also think you should ask for feedback on what needs improvement or what could be provided to make a stay more enjoyable.  

Such as a place I stayed desperately needed an new interior shower curtain liner.  Not anything I would go out of my way to mention, but honestly I still remember that two years later. 

Such an easy, cheap fix. 

@Kristin1864 

So true! In the checkout instructions I also ask them to let me know if anything needs repair or for any feedback about the stay. 

I am so grateful for the heads up on repair issues or suggestions. Some may not be feasible but it’s always good to know from the people who have stayed there.