Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

When a guest give a misleading and inaccurate review

Gillian120
Level 4
Peachland, Canada

When a guest give a misleading and inaccurate review

Our guest policy, dictated by our bylaws and insurance, is designed to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all our guests.  We highlight this key point throughout our listing and, upon acceptance, even request guests cancel if they are planning others to visit.

Despite this, the lady who booked for her sister added the names of visitors to the listing just before arriving, so it was too late to ask her to cancel and then changed the number of guests from 2 to 3 for the 5-night stay. I accepted it, and it increased the amount of the booking as we charge more after 2. Again, I make this clear in our listing and confirmation message. She messaged me complaining it was for her mum's friend who would only be visiting for a couple of hours (by this time, I had given up telling her no visitors) so I refunded the money.

She then left a review saying that I charge C$150.00 for visitors, which I clearly do not, I can only deduce she did not like my no-visitor policy and it was her way of getting back. . This was a totally inaccurate review yet on requesting Airbnb to remove it they refused.  In other words they thought it appropriate for her to leave a misleading review.  Obviously the only course of action I was to reply but I doubt many people reading the review would have read it.

Airbnb if you are reading this can you please amend your policy guidelines to include removing removing reviews that are misleading, inaccurate and from guests who break house rules.  At present I and many other hosts now have to ignore guests breaking house rules even though it also goes against local bylaws in fear of we may get a bad review.    

If this has happened to you can you please let me know and perhaps if enough complain we can get something done.

4 Replies 4
Armaan5
Level 2
San Diego, CA

@Gillian120 It's unfortunate that this happened to you. I'm going through a similar situation where a guest has posted a retaliatory review with false and misleading information and said that my house has full size beds instead of queen size beds which is false and will deter future guests. However, airbnb support and the specialized team has refused to remove it saying that the review is simply guests opinion.

Both your situation and my situation are already covered under airbnb policy violations as their content policy clearly states they will remove any content  "that provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information". Airbnb support is actively choosing to ignore their own policy and we cannot let them do that. You need to continue engaging with support and I will try to escalate this further and let you know if I am able to find a good contact.

If you were able to get the review removed, please tell me how so I can follow those steps as well.

Thanks for outlining their policy, which they seem to keep changing. They would not remove it even though it was escalated and not an opinion but fact. My final reply to them is below.  If enough hosts make a fuss and don't accept their  decision, they may do something about it.

'Hi
Thank you. If you could forward the summary to the 'powers that be,' I would appreciate it, as would many other hosts who have had the same problem.

To sum up
Hosts should have the option to remove Reviews if
1) They are written by guests who have ignored/broken or don't like house rules but book anyway and then give reduced ratings and retaliatory reviews.
2) Reviews that are inaccurate and contain lies should not be allowed to tarnish a host's reputation and reduce their ratings.

Airbnb's current review policy does not support the right of Hosts to enforce house rules and local bylaws, creating a situation where hosts fear they may receive a bad review if they do.
You only need to refer to any host Airbnb forum to see that this is true for most 'responsible' hosts.

Gill 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Gillian120 

I hate to bear bad news, but she kind of caught you.  Your additional rules do say no visitors but then you give a loop hole.  Visitors must be registered and be a paying guest who isn't spending the night.  You forgot to disclose how much for a visitor and how they register?  So Airbnb sees no proof of what you require.  Or what you  charged her for a visitor.  I would change it to only register guests.  Then who cares if they spend the night or not up to the guest.

Hi

Thank you for the feedback but we state no visitors throughout the listing on Airbnb and send this on acceptance of the booking and then a reminder on our checkin things to do email. 

"The price is based on the number of guests, so if it is incorrect, please amend. If you have booked with the intention of inviting others to visit, can you please cancel, as we can only allow guests included in this booking onto the property? This means all visitors, whether or not you intend them to stay the night."

and in our House Rules

2) NO Visitors -Due to our byelaws, insurance, and our peace of mind  for us and other guests the facilities are for those included in the booking, so please do not invite others to visit.

Please let me know if you can suggest how I can make it clearer.  

Thank you

Gill