Why can a guest leave a review after an AirCover dispute?

Answered!
Ben4519
Level 1
Jersey City, NJ

Why can a guest leave a review after an AirCover dispute?

We just had our worst guest ever, who literally left piles of dog feces in our home. The feces and pee  required our cleaner to do a lot more work and stained our rug, besides just being insulting that someone would treat our house that way. We've been hosting for over six years and this was our first truly horrible experience. Upon finding the feces and stains, I immediately filed an AirCover dispute and the guest paid it (I should have charged more as we found more poop and damage by the end of the day). I also wrote an honest review of what happened and gave the guest the worst review I've ever written. I know that he won't see that review until he writes one, but WHY should a guest even be allowed to write a review after admitting and paying a dispute? I know the guest enjoyed our home, but I assume he'll write a bad review since we filed a grievance with him. It says on Airbnb's site that they're waiting for the guests review before they post mine. But: a) I'd assume the guest will now write a negative review since we called them out for leaving dog feces in our home b) Why do they have the right to even leave a review after being a horrendous guest/human being?  c) In the twelve days they have left to write a review, they could book another person's home and do damage their as well, without another host being able to see the review/rating of this person. 

1 Best Answer
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Ben4519  I totally understand how you feel.  I find it incredibly frustrating that you often have to decide if making a claim is worth the inevitable ‘revenge’ review that will follow.  As Hosts, I feel that we have a moral obligation to write fair and factual reviews to provide future hosts with the information they need to protect their property.  Airbnb have often ‘tweaked’ the review process but not addressed this issue.  Personally I would like to see any negative review left by a guest where a host has made a successful claim against them removed upon request.  However, this is unlikely to happen and I think there is more chance of ‘bacon growing wings and taking to the air’

The one consolation is that future guests will see your many good reviews and ignore the odd bad one, particularly if you respond to it in a calm, polite, short and factual manner.

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Ben4519  I totally understand how you feel.  I find it incredibly frustrating that you often have to decide if making a claim is worth the inevitable ‘revenge’ review that will follow.  As Hosts, I feel that we have a moral obligation to write fair and factual reviews to provide future hosts with the information they need to protect their property.  Airbnb have often ‘tweaked’ the review process but not addressed this issue.  Personally I would like to see any negative review left by a guest where a host has made a successful claim against them removed upon request.  However, this is unlikely to happen and I think there is more chance of ‘bacon growing wings and taking to the air’

The one consolation is that future guests will see your many good reviews and ignore the odd bad one, particularly if you respond to it in a calm, polite, short and factual manner.