Why do I suddenly have no bookings?

Answered!
Marie70
Level 1
Singapore

Why do I suddenly have no bookings?

Hi! 

When we first put up our listing on Airbnb, there were a number of enquiries coming in everyday. But since the last 3-4 days, there's a sudden halt in enquiries.

I wonder if anyone encountered the same issue recently? Is it something wrong with my listing? 

Some enlightenment from other Hosts/Airbnb would be of great help!

Thank you  😊 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Denise710 @Marie70 @Helen19 @Helen427 

Girls, I am now of the opinion this is a glitch in the system and the reason it has not been fixed is because it is smasmodic, it is random and they can't track down where the error is! I don't know this but I suspect it!

I consistently average 10-12 reservations a month, have been doing so for the past 18 months. Even when my total views for the month were down to 320-360 I would still get at least 10 bookings. 

From the last week in March this year, through all of April and into May (Over 5 weeks)  I did not get one new booking....well that is not strictly true I did get 3 bookings as a result of pre-approvals I gave back in February. Apart from that absolutely nothing! At one stage my views page showed 1 new booking for past 30 days

I got onto CX and asked them to check on the status of my listing.....were they seeing something that I was not...or had my account been subject to internal treatment by Airbnb. She assured me all was good with my account and gave me a lot of stats....some that I was not even aware of and she said it must be just seasonal!

Within a day of making that call, all of a sudden the reservations are coming again. I have had 16 Airbnb bookings and 4 Stayz bookings in the past 30 days........

monthly bookings.png

Now at that point, my reaction was CX probably did a bit of resetting and got the booking ship upright again.

But I did have an interesting enquiry though. The guest said he had tried 3 or 4 times to book my listing in that drought period and he could not get past the check-out page. As soon as he tried to submitt for payment, the site said  booking failed, try again later. They waited for a couple of weeks and were about to go somewhere elsewhere and thought they would give the booking of my place one last try and, it went through! It was accepted. I asked him if there had been an issue with his payment method and he assured me there was nothing wrong on his end, it seemed to be an Airbnb problem!

Now fortunately this has not cost me anything, I had plenty of upcoming bookings anyway but I have heard of some hosts here who are being devistated by a sudden lack of business so I suggest keep on badgering CX. The more we get on their backs the more likely we are to try and hget to the bottom of this....what ever it is!

Cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

205 Replies 205
Allyson20
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hello,

i posted my Airbnb last Friday and immediately received 5 bookings. I have not received any bookings since. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated 

Louise318
Level 2
Westward Ho!, United Kingdom

Hello. I’m really new to this and you all seem like such experts, I was wondering if you could spare 5 minutes for some advice please? 

I have had my house listed for 5 weeks, and had over 200 views, but only one booking. We are only available for the 6 weeks summer kids holidays. But  2 other identical houses in our row are renting for £1000 a week more! 

If anyone could critique my listing I’d really appreciate it. Thankyou in advance 🙂 

I have been having the same problem. I have two properties listed and over 85% booking for both but suddenly less than 30% for the last 2 months. Bookings have come to a screeching halt. Please take a look at my listings and advise any thing that you think may be contributing. Thanks!

Hi Bev and Janice exactly the same for us. Did you manage to find out?

Marija26
Level 2
Hvar, Croatia

Hello!

Lately I've had no new bookings or inquiries, searching for an answer I found this thread.
Also, I've tried looking for one of my listings on dates I know are available and couldn't find it!
If someone could take a look at my listings, that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Marija

Karen1027
Level 4
South Africa

We have experienced exactly the same situation and just cannot get answers from support. 

Hi. I'm also very new to Airbnb. I joined in mid-November and instantly started receiving booking. I have updated the photos ... which are much nicer than my previous ones. But still I've not received any bookings for the past 2 weeks. Nearly half of December is unbooked. Could someone please take a look and let me know if there is anything wrong with the listing ... much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

maMichelle I would love to know what the secret or the recipe is to continue receiving a lot of bookings. I have already voiced my concern to airbnb and asked them how I can possibly maintain a superhost status if I am receiving no bookings and this is certainly not through any lack of trying. I am on my listings every single day since I started in April this year. 

Hey @Michelle1314 December can be a quiet time of year (esp. private room listings)- people who tend to travel over Xmas/NY usually book their plans quite in advance, so you may have missed out on some December bookings by going live just last month.

Your listing looks good, you've made your pictures look inviting and the body of your listing sounds welcoming!

Make sure you update and log-in to the platform every day to keep your listing active- block a date, open it again, update your profile etc.

Your place looks like the ideal place for single travellers, I wonder if most of your guests so far have been singles or couples?

Just thinking if you went for a double bed you'd appeal more to couples but also still cover the single traveller market too.

Best wishes for now,

Paul.

@Michelle1314 Yes, I agree with Paul regarding logging in every day. Have you researched the pricing in your area? Is it too high? May be try turning on Smart Pricing. You can set a min price and turn it off on specific dates. December is low season in mostly countries. Since turning on Smart Pricing, we have been getting more reservations. Over the summer most were coming from another platform but since Novemeber the majority are coming in on AirBnB. 

Thanks Romano for your advice ... much appreciated! Yes, I have been logging in every day, and Smart Pricing and Instant Booking is turned on. I believe my listing is one of the lowest priced in my area. I think you are probably right that December is a low season. 

Kind regards,

Michelle 

HI Romano,

I've been a Super Host now for 3 years.  I, too, am concerned about the unusually low amount of inquiries I've been receiving.  Since December, I've only booked one guest for a week in March.  It's never been this slow in the 5 years I've been a host.

I'm intereted in your statement, " . . . over the summer most were coming from another platform."  Should I look for another company and list with them, as well,  like Bookings.com?  Does this generate more business?

Helen in Seattle

Thanks Paul! It makes sense now that you have mentioned that December is a quiet time. I was starting to get worried as my initial newbie boost from Airbnb has finished I'm not getting any more bookings. 

Yes, most of my guests have been singles. But I've had two guys before, and a brother and sister are due to come end of December. I was just about to buy a double bed when the bookings stopped coming in, so I decided to wait a few weeks and see what happens! Another post on this thread recommends having two single beds and putting them together for couples, and apart for others ... I may do that! 

Also, I don't have a TV in the room and most other places in my area do. Do you think that is a major deterrent for guests? Most of my guests are travelling for work.

And yes, I have been logging-in and out of my acount everyday ... bocking days and unblocking, etc. 

By the way, your place looks amazing!

Kind regards,

Michelle

Hey @Michelle1314

Yes waiting would make sense, and 2 singles could work well and give you different options for guests instead of a full double.

I think the type of bed you have tends to attract a certain guest- if you have a double you'll get couples, a single just singles of course, or twin would work for 2 people travelling together who may not want to share a bed.

I don't think a TV is a deal-breaker to be honest, perhaps it's something you could add once you have a steady flow of guests- I thought about it for my room but then didn't get one because I worried it might generate too much noise etc.

If most of your guests are travelling for work they appreciate a well set-up working space with a comfortable chair and good wifi.

Guests change through the seasons- spring and summer I was all tourists, then autumn into winter I have mainly had business guests, Januaury looks to be mainly tourists so far!

And thanks for your kind words about my place 🙂

Paul

Rachel843
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I suddenly have no bookings and no one from airbandb knows why, can someone look to see if I am showing up in search, my listing is in London, its called BRIGHT SINGLE ROOM/LONDON FIELDS . I am a superhost with 53 five star reviews and don´t charge much for London so I think something is wrong. Normally I leave the listing on just short times because the calender fills up very quick. I am just doing weekends the next few months but it worked fine like that for a while so I don´t think thats the propblem. Its just sudden and nothing from being super busy the whole time I had this listing ..for a few years. Thanks so much, Rachel