Why do guests cancel?

Maria-Giovanna27
Level 2
Caserta, Italy

Why do guests cancel?

I have received 3 cancellations: Why do guests cancel?

6 Replies 6
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Travel plans can change.

Or bad weather.

Or broken leg.

Or just date-blocking during looking for sth. better.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Because you have a flexible cancellation policy that enables them to get their money back in full when they cancel 😀 @Maria-Giovanna27 

change your cancellation policy to a stricter cancellation policy  

Thanks I just did!

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

It's something that happens  a lot when you have flexible cancellation policy.

Think of it this way, those that cancelled may not have booked if you are on a stricter cancellation policy in the first place. 

Depending when they cancelled, you may still get some of the booking fee. 

For me, I rather fill my calendars well ahead of time, and deal with the cancellations as they come up. Most of the time, it's not an issue tbh, since they can get filled up pretty easily especially as summer rolls around. 

As for the reasons, it's hard to say since many factors can influence it such as weather etc. But I also get the feeling that some guests will do a last minute price check and if they find a better Airbnb, they can easily cancel their existing reservation and book the other one since at most they lose one night, and likely nothing if they cancel a day ahead. 

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I believe that with a more flexible cancellation policy there will be more bookings, however it is really disappointing when you get a cancellation just one week before the arrival. I am still learning a lot of things and all your suggestions and feedback are really appreciated. I am trying hard to adjust as I experience. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Maria-Giovanna27 , it's so great to see that you've received support from experienced Host members Zheng, Helen and Till on the potential reasons why guests could cancel. Did your guests eventually let you know or reach out on why they needed to cancel the booking?

Since Host members suggested you to reflect on your cancellation policy, I wanted to chime in to share a few resources related to the topic in case you were looking forward to explore further through this link : All about cancellation policies.

Based on Hosts' recommendations, have you already made some changes in this area? If yes, do share your experiences with us in future how other policies work for you. Looking forward to hearing from you! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines