Working for free when guests cancel

Wayan25
Level 2
Ubud, ID

Working for free when guests cancel

We have a strict cancel policy. This is to help ensure stability and stability for our business, which provides employment for 7 people.

Airbnb's policy of giving guests 48 hours to cancel is creating a situation where we often are working for free.

What  other job is one supposed to do for nothing?

A recent example was a guest who booked 4 nights, then changed it to 3 nights and then cancelled altogether all in the 48 hour period.

What that entailed was us having to close out 3 separate OTA sites and 2 listings on airbnb, then change them, then open them all back up again - all for NO MONEY.

I suggest airbnb instigate a retainer system so that hosts receive a small payment ( say $25.00) from guests who cancel to cover the time it takes to manage the booking.

The small retainer might not stop guests from cancelling but at least it would provide hosts with some form of recognition instead of being treated like slave labour.

1 Reply 1
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Wayan25 

If you have a strict cancellation policy, a guest may cancel within 48 hours, but only if it is more than 14 days away from check in date. that should give you plenty of leeway so that you are not opening and closing listings? I think currently you have a moderate policy? A guest can still only cancel for free within 48 hours if the bookigng is 7 days away, so I'm not quite sure I understand why you are having to expend so much time and energy opening and closing things - why not wait until closer to check in before preparing a property? Perhaps I have misunderstood you.

BTW guests only get 3 free cancellation - so there is some disincentive.

Regards