guests don't leave after Airbnb cancelled their reservation.

guests don't leave after Airbnb cancelled their reservation.

Hello

I need help with a very unpleasant situation.

A guest reserved  one of my properties for 12 days (it's for 8 people) but they declared only 2 guests. As soon as they arrived they started smoking marijuana inside the apartment, I have 2 other units in the back that share the A/C with the property in front so the guests of these units in the back started complaining that there was smell of smoke in their apartments.

On the second night I received many messages from the guests of the other 2 units because there was all night long loud music and many voices coming from the apartment in front,

The guests in the apartment in front never answered to all my messages so in the end I contacted Airbnb.

Airbnb believed me because they could see the complaining of the guests in the other 2 units and Airbnb safety department called me saying that as they were breaking my house rules (it's forbidden to smoke, there are quite hours to respect and only registered guests are allowed in my properties) they were going to contact the guests and ask them to leave.

After few hours without any update from Airbnb I discovered that the reservation had been cancelled and the calendar was open for a new reservation....unfortunately the guests were still inside.

It took me 2 days to speak with my case manager (i sent her many messages, I called the call center only to be told that I had to speak to my  case manager and not being able to transfer the call they would have made me call back)....I sent her messages complaining of the superficiality of her behavior.

Finally after 2 days a new case manager wrote me that they never spoke with the guests because they never answered but they cancelled the reservation.

The guests are still my property after 2 days that Airbnb cancelled their reservation and they are not answering me, the new case manager just let me know that this reservation is no more supported by Airbnb and if there are damages I have 48 hours to open a claim.

How is it possible???

They sent me these guests and now that there are problems they don't do anything.

Do you believe that the host guarantee will cover if there are damages.

Thank you for your help

19 Replies 19

@Patrizia256  Did you first ask the guest to pay the damages?  If you skipped this step, Airbnb won't pay the resolution.

Yes I did, but as it was a reservation cancelled by Airbnb and the total amount of the claim is really higher than the deposit and the damages are serious, Airbnb has waive the 72 hours to get an answer from the guests

@Patrizia256 

2 people booking an accommodation of 8 is suspicious.

Why to pay for 3 bedrooms when there are plenty of cheaper appartments with 1 or 2 bedrooms ?

Generally the reason is that they are NOT 2 people.

Be very careful if the number of people declared does not match with the type of property.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I find it ridiculous that airbnb cancelled the reservation before getting in touch with guests.  Airbnb basically let them stay for free, so only made matters worse! At the end you are lucky they left at all and you did not loose the guests in the other two apartments. Document everything thoroughly and open the claim ASAP. Supported now or not, this was an airbnb reservation at some point.  

I agree with you: it has been really superficial from Airbnb to cancel the reservation without being able to speak with the guests! 

the guests of one of the 2 apartments in the back left 2 days earlier and asked the refund and of course I accepted it