inbox message indicating bad review coming and then asking for a free day -

Ed440
Level 1
Bay City, MI

inbox message indicating bad review coming and then asking for a free day -

This is the inbox message I received. I was getting messages but not phone calls because I was traveling and in a remote area. I didn't get the voicemail about the refrigerator food until the next day. After rreceiving this I checked the guests 4  previous reviews, and one of them siad 'Cannot recommend this guest at all. Specifically threatening a bad review. I have not reviewed this guest yet and am wondering what I should do. I told them I would reimburse the cleaning fee for the issues they had. Then they asked to stay later than the checkout time. I told them they couold stay an additional 7 hours!  In response to her issues. 1 is true. 2 - there was some mold on the seal on the fridge door.. 3. They could have removed the unopened wine and margarita drinks, There was a lot of room.. 4. The master bath was spotless except for half bars of soap in the dishes. There were new unopened bars set out too. There was a lufas that was set aside that my partner uses. There was dust on the guest toilet tank and the guest sink was not wiped clean, but the toilet was pristine otherwise. 5. I was responsive to messages, but did not get the call. The message I received: 

Hey Ed, I hope you're doing well. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to compensate some of the issues with the house.

1. We did not realize this was a residence. We most likely would have still rented but were not happy that the listing was not transparent.

2. The refrigerator has mold

3. The refrigerator was completely full. We had to move some of your personal items to make space for ourselves. We planned to have all our meals at the house so we brought a lot of food with us, then realized upon arrival that there was nowhere to put it. We could have planned accordingly had we known.

4. The bathrooms were not cleaned. I sent you pictures of the main floor bathroom which was so dirty I was able to capture it in a picture. And the master bathroom had personal lufas and soap. Gross.

5. You have been unresponsive.  We are super flexible people,  and would have happily let it go if a cleaner could have been sent out. But this has not been a good experience. 

I cannot in good faith give this property a 5 star review. It's a beautiful place and we would even come again, so in fairness to you I wanted to bring these issues to you personally to see if we can resolve it between us. 

I think reimbursing for 1 day would be fair. What do you think?
1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ed440 you are going to get a bad review whatever you do. I would Airbnb message the guest along the lines of ' Airbnb rules do not allow us to buy a good review by offering a refund. Sadly if this decision means you leave a retaliatory review then so be it'. Hopefully you can then persuade Airbnb to treat their review as retaliatory.....

That said you certainly deserve a 3 star review at best for cleanliness given what the guest experienced.