retaliatory reviews and the Airbnb team tells you that it's not possible to remove , so nothing has changed

Answered!
Fernando1561
Level 5
Sarasota, FL

retaliatory reviews and the Airbnb team tells you that it's not possible to remove , so nothing has changed

Have you ever experienced trying to contest a retaliatory review and the Airbnb team tells you that it's not possible?

It's frustrating to see that, despite the CEO's statement suggesting changes, the reality is quite different. When a host files a complaint against a guest and the guest responds with a negative review out of retaliation, it feels like there is no recourse. This situation is incredibly unfair for hosts, especially considering the hope that the CEO's statement would bring about improvements. Unfortunately, it seems that nothing has changed.

the statements made by CEO Bryan regarding the 10 new improvements for hosts. He specifically mentions that it is now easier to challenge unfair reviews. You can find CEO Bryan discussing in  this video called " The Airbnb 2022 Winter Release: 10 major upgrades for Hosts | Airbnb"  at the 2:28 minute mceo.jpg

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Fernando1561 

I just spent the last half hour reading several of the reviews for your listings.  It saddens me that many guests write many of the same feedback and that they are having similar experiences at your listings.  I recently gave a presentation which is all about reviews and one thing I think you may need to do is truly take the time to reflect on what your guests are saying in their feedback on their experiences.  You can learn from this and become a better host.  I see you have responded to some of these reviews which actually makes them stand out more and draws more attention to them and detracts from your positive reviews.  It is also important to be professional when responding to a guest's review, especially if it is a negative one.  When I search as a guest, I actually look to see how a host responds to reviews and the response can cause me to take a listing off my prospective list due to the response given for a minor issue.  When I read your negative reviews, I do not see anything that would cause any of these reviews to be remove if you fully understand Airbnb's policies.  I will leave you with three slides from my presentation and three relevant links.

The Anatomy of Reviews for Hosts - Google Slides.png

The Anatomy of Reviews for Hosts - Google Slides (1).png

The Anatomy of Reviews for Hosts - Google Slides (2).png

Airbnb’s Review Policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673

Airbnb’s Content Policy

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/546

Writing Relevant and Unbiased Reviews

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/3055

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I did successfully get one removed, but it was a hard, 2 month process. I had to escalate it multiple times. This gal broke rules, caused damage, and got caught. She gave me all 1s. I have all 5 star reviews. Airbnb called me and said they removed it. I was pleasantly surprised. 

In my case, 99% of guests who got a claim for  damages or stain towels or leave the place very dirty, they tend to leave a negative review, which is what you always expect. With the CEO Bryan's announcement about making it easier to remove unfair or retaliatory reviews, I thought things had changed, but it seems that everything remains the same. The promises made by CEO Bryan are not being fulfilled by the Airbnb team; they were merely empty words.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Fernando1561 ,

Did you have a chance to review this article that outlines How to dispute retaliatory reviews? It outlines certain situations under which a review can be removed under Airbnb's Reviews Policy.

Also, would you like to elaborate on the guest situation that might have led to a review, so that our other Host members can offer some insights into the situation?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes ,  I have already reviewed the article, but the Airbnb team says that in order to remove the review, there must be something in writing or a recording where the guest states that they will leave a review out of revenge. However, as I mentioned, whenever you file a claim against the guest, you are exposed to a BAD REVIEW; that's the only thing that is certain. And when you contact the Airbnb team and they tell you that they can't do anything, you realize that the words of CEO Bryan were just empty promises.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Fernando1561  It is easier now and I believe what CEO Bryan was saying, but this change takes time for it is a departure from past custom and to trickle throughout the previous culture. Granted it still takes some persistence and much finesse to get one removed. Good luck.

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Fernando1561 

I just spent the last half hour reading several of the reviews for your listings.  It saddens me that many guests write many of the same feedback and that they are having similar experiences at your listings.  I recently gave a presentation which is all about reviews and one thing I think you may need to do is truly take the time to reflect on what your guests are saying in their feedback on their experiences.  You can learn from this and become a better host.  I see you have responded to some of these reviews which actually makes them stand out more and draws more attention to them and detracts from your positive reviews.  It is also important to be professional when responding to a guest's review, especially if it is a negative one.  When I search as a guest, I actually look to see how a host responds to reviews and the response can cause me to take a listing off my prospective list due to the response given for a minor issue.  When I read your negative reviews, I do not see anything that would cause any of these reviews to be remove if you fully understand Airbnb's policies.  I will leave you with three slides from my presentation and three relevant links.

The Anatomy of Reviews for Hosts - Google Slides.png

The Anatomy of Reviews for Hosts - Google Slides (1).png

The Anatomy of Reviews for Hosts - Google Slides (2).png

Airbnb’s Review Policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673

Airbnb’s Content Policy

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/546

Writing Relevant and Unbiased Reviews

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/3055

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

• "Irrelevant or biased reviews: Reviews that are biased, retaliatory, or don’t include relevant or helpful information may be removed".

Thank you for your response. As I mentioned before, the guests was given a claim for damages, which they did not like it, and since they had nothing else to say, they made up a negative review about the cleanliness. This is a common occurrence when you file a claim against a guest – you become exposed to a retaliatory negative review. 

Unfortunately, the Airbnb team can't remove the review , they cannot do anything about it  because there is no recording or written proof where the guests explicitly states that they will leave a negative review in retaliation.

What would really help all of us here is that a guest cannot leave a review if a claim is filed against them, in other words, if they did not follow the house rules, they should lose the right to leave a review. This would benefit thousands of hosts who file claims, and what we always get is being paid back with a bad review from guests.

Hmm, I tend to disagree with this as I would then expect to see many hosts make claims if the guest complained during their stay in order to avoid or get a review removed.   

David

I understand your viewpoint, but it's important to note that the claims I mentioned refer to insurance claims made against guests for damages through AirCover, not claims made by hosts to remove reviews.

Let me explain it in more practical terms for better understanding. Currently, I have a guest who damaged(torn) two bathroom towels, and I'm going to file an AirCover claim. However, I have to wait for the 14-day review period to expire in order to prevent them from leaving a negative review. It would be beneficial if, in such situations, guests who fail to comply with house rules lose the right to leave reviews. This would ensure accountability for their actions and maintain fairness in the review system.

Please, stay focused on what I'm trying to convey. The main idea here is to find a solution that benefits all of us, NOT JUST ME. I want this message to go viral and reach Airbnb management, so they can take action. This situation is happening to thousands of hosts when we have to file a claim against a guest (Aircover).

The best approach here would be for all guests who fail to comply with house rules and result in an Aircover claim to lose the right to leave reviews. This would ensure accountability for their actions and maintain fairness in the review system, which, in this particular case, only seems to serve as a platform for guests to unfairly leave negative reviews as a paid back.

Let's work together to address this issue and create a fair and equitable solution for everyone involved. Your support in spreading this message is crucial to bring about the necessary changes. Thank you for understanding the importance of this matter.

Hi @Fernando1561

You cannot make everyone happy and I believe someone already poked a hole in your suggestion about not allowing a review if you make a claim or is they break a house rule.  Hosts would just exploit this and everyone knows this. 

Also, if you make a claim and the guest does the correct thing and rectifies the situation, they should be entitled to a review.  I have made claims in the past and still given glowing reviews. 

One last thing.  If you want to be heard by Airbnb, this forum might not be the platform to get changes for this issue.  Airbnb takes feedback and suggestions here. 

https://airbnb.com/feedback

I do commend and thank you for trying to improve the Airbnb platform as a better platform is excellent for Hosts, Guests and Airbnb.  

David

Xiu30
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Same here.

Had 2 retaliatory review and airbnb will not remove them.

1. I didnt accept payment outside airbnb.

2. Did not offer full refund when guest want to cancel 3 day before the stay.

If you don't accept what they want, the most likely thing is that guests will leave you a bad review in revenge. Now, if CEO Bryan says it's easy to remove retaliatory reviews, it's false because the Airbnb team will always tell you no: if  there is no written evidence or recording of the guest saying they will leave you a bad review. There's nothing you can do.

The solution is as follows, and I'll repeat it a thousand times because it's necessary so If it hasn't happened to you yet(host), let me tell you that it will soon. Ideal guests are rare, and everyone thinks they have the right to do whatever they want because they're paying.

"It would be best for everyone here if guests who fail to comply with house rules and you file an Aircover claim, they should  lose the right to leave reviews. This would ensure accountability for their actions and maintain fairness in the review system"

@Fernando1561 sadly your idea doesn't work. If, as a host, I let down a guest in some way all I would need to do to avoid a bad review is say they broke the rules and file an Aircover claim.

Perhaps hosts should just forget Aircover exists and use their own insurance.