smoking penalty

Answered!
Gabe2
Level 2
Seattle, WA

smoking penalty

Throughout my posting and my rules I have No Smoking listed several times. In the rules I mention heavy fines for smoking.  

My guests smoked and I have screenshots from my video security showing it.  I would like to administer the fine.  I reminded them of the policy during their stay and they apologized.  When should I tell them about the fine?  Will airbnb support and help me to collect the fine?

Text from my posting and rules below

POSTING

No smoking

• Absolutely no smoking or any other smoking-like-activities on or near our house, even a few houses away. Typically people don't smoke on the street around here so my neighbors would find it disconcerting. There are some fine places to enjoy a smoke nearby - Harvard Avenue, Eastlake Avenue, even a few waterfront spots. There are heavy penalties for smoking. Please just don't do it.

RULES

NO SMOKING INSIDE OR OUT, NOT EVEN HALFWAY DOWN THE BLOCK!!!!  I can't stress enough that smoking will not be tolerated, even if you are a couple of houses away.  If you wish to smoke please go two blocks west to Harvard and Shelby or somewhere else on a busy street.  Our neighbors don't like it either and have come to expect no smoking, no butts, etc...  I am sorry if this seems draconian but it just something we don't want to deal with. 

$500 fine for smoking on the property outdoors and $2,000 fine plus actual remediation costs for smoking inside.  In either case your stay will be cancelled and you will have to leave the property immediately.  Does that sound unfair?  I am very sorry.  Smoking is just not tolerated.

1 Best Answer

My original question was whether or not Airbnb would support and enforce the fine for smoking.  

- No

David

View Best Answer in original post

106 Replies 106

The condo has condo rules, Your guest is your problem, If your guest doesn't even apology and takes responsibility to clean it up right away. You may risk the extra fee for cleaning from your condo. 

Do you want to pay for it each complaint from your condo? 

@Ellen107, there is no specific protocol for this particular situation. A security deposit is security to cover the cost of damages rather than cleaning. 

Some loose interpretation of house rules will occur more frequently when hosts are offsite. Your rules state  definitely no smoking, however smokers will content themselves with smoking outdoors....... Perhaps you need to go further and let potential guests no that the community does not tolerate smoking on the grounds, so it won't be acceptable inside or outside the accommodation.

The more concerning long term issue is maintaining a sound relationship with your owners corp. To this end I would suggest that you clarify in your description and house rules that there is no smoking on the property including outside the accommodation.

Consider putting a specific mention about the potential for an extra charge in the event of smoking; and in your private Airbnb emailing I would back that up by ensuring that you put the question to prospective guests regarding smoker status. If they are smokers then give them concrete advice about where they can go off-site to have a cigarette, including taking a small disposal unit so they don't leave a pile outside the gate. By the time you have this conversation most will decide select another venue or comply with your advice.

In a lot of people management situations the easy option is to say no and think the problem is dealt with. Increased compliance will occur when we clearly outline a set of alternative behaviours which are acceptable to us.

It's a learning curve for each Host.

Chalk up any extra cleaning to the overall cost of doing business, and send a thankyou note and suitable gift to the owners corporation.

I won't bore you with my tale of cleaning after a recent stay by really lovely guests.It happens sometimes.

Best Regards,