toiletries

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

toiletries

Hello everyone, I would like some suggestions or opinions on the subject of toiletries. I provide things  like soap,shampoo and toothpaste and I have just been buying regular sized bottles of shampoo and didnt think that it would be a problem if a guest used shampoo out of an opened bottle. But I just had a guest tell me in their review that that was unsanitary. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it but I can understand why some people would not like that. Obviously I cant throw out a full bottle of shampoo after a guest leaves and I checked into single serving shampoos but they cost almost as much as the regular sized bottles of shampoo. So my question is would a dispenser be considered unsanitary? Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.  

3 Replies 3
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sam397 

nice topic. 
Personally we use glass bottles with pumps and fill these up with products from a large gallon of shampoo etc you could get online. We clean the pump regularly- also with regards to tooth paste you can look at chewable ones vs the tube ones. These combined are better for the environment and no complaints so far. 
good luck to you! 
yadira 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sam397  I also use pump containers. I buy big bottles of liquid soap at Costco (there's lots of places you could source them, though), and just top them up between guests. It seems "fresh" to guests if it's full, rather than half full. I'll bet if you'd refilled that shampoo bottle so it was full instead of half-full, and wiped it down good so it looked new, that guest would never have had any complaint. Or you could get those dispensers that go on the shower wall, which personally I don't like the look of, but that's just me.

But guests leave lots of products behind, and I hate waste. If what they leave is at least half full, I have a basket where I put all that stuff. It's an ever-revolving selection, that might have sunscreen, shampoo, shaving foam in it one month and a slightly different selection the next. But what I do with all those containers is wipe them down with antibacterial wipes, making sure they're not gunky around the lids. I point out the basket to guests, telling them to use anything they want from there, that it's things people leave behind, and that I sterilize all of it. I notice that plenty of guests make use of things in there.

But I'd never leave something that just has a bit of product left in it (I'll use it up myself if I can) or anything anyone touches to their body, like a roll-on deodorant or a used tube of toothpaste that people smear ther toothbrush across..

Connor30
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I also use pumps and fill. Not a single guest has complained in years. I bought mason jars and pumps from amazon for foaming hand soap, shampoo conditioner. Then I use Eco Amenities soap bars from Amazon. They are individually wrapped and just like a hotel. No one has complained. 

I even have a lotion pump, and makeup removal wipes I just leave out. If people are that picky, they should pack their own. Especially if you aren’t a high-end listing. 

everyone usually is so grateful I offer all of those things.