The Host won’t give me my refund

Answered!

The Host won’t give me my refund

I’m not a host I was going to be a guest, I made reservations to be a guest with Holly and Chris in Cedar Rapids Iowa a month before arriving, my reason for going to Iowa was for work because I’m a travel nurse unfortunately my contract got canceled 4 days after I made the payment so I was no longer going to Iowa nor needing the host home, I tried to cancel but it was saying I wasn’t going to get but 197 dollars and 20 cent of my money out of 1,688.95, so I’m like no that can’t be true so I never did the cancellation because I want all my money, I contacted Airbnb Support about the situation and explain to them they said they reached out to Holly but she responded with she’s going by her policy I know people have their own business and go by their rules I get that but I’m not coming, it’s nowhere near time to come if I was, I explained and let Holly, Airbnb know my reason & situation why things happened the way it did , so I tried to reach out and explained what happened she also stated  the same thing to me, I’m like but I’m not coming to your home and I’m letting you know in head of time so why can’t you give me all my money back because that’s a lot of money to give someone when you’re not going to need them, I’m literally blown, I paid 1,688.95 up front and requested to get all my money back not only 197.20, now I’m going through this thing of giving me half of my money which I’m not going for, I just want and need all my money back and we can go on our way Policy or no Policy ( why pay for anything when I’m not coming to the property and I let them know in head to time soon I got the information). I was excited ,looking forward to coming but things happen, this wasn’t any vacation for me I was only coming for business to make money not give it away. 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amelia348 

When you purchase something, be that accommodation or anything else, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of that purchase and, in this case, it includes the cancellation policy. When that's a long term booking on Airbnb, it means that the first month is non-refundable. This information is on the booing before you complete it. That's what you signed up to so of course it's nobody else's fault. So, you're lucky to be offered 50% to be honest.

Personally, when a guest cancels for a valid reason, I will offer to refund any nights I get rebooked (minus Airbnb fees, which the host does not receive), if and when that happens, as I agree that it is unfair to take money from two different bookings for the same dates. This is totally optional though. The host is under no obligation to make that offer.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Amelia, my 2 cents worth - despite feelings and the loss, which are normal and factual in this case and all our cases being in similar situation; people who are taking the time to advice you 'are not against you' and FWIW, not many can do better [than Gillian, Huma, Helen - they always give best, most correct and measured replies]

You are experiencing normal indignation & the loss is considerable, however one can't forget that we are not dealing with inst. organisations or corporations; with large resources, logistics and layers of customer support; + deep pockets. Amount of money $1.700 is considerable and you being a Nurse [a good guy, a career, and one of most needed person's in society] means the Host won't do much wrong even 'despite stated rules' if they go the extra mile in order to be flexible with you. 

Like it was suggested already; being tactful with Holly & Chris and suggesting, IF they can re-book your Dates then refund you - would have been most optimal thing to do [minus airbnb fees  which they cant refund you] Best of luck for next time - as this one is double harder, you were not going for holiday but WORK [travelling nurse, as you state in your post] 

Celina136
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi Amelia, I def understand your frustration. I am a host and I always try to work the best I can with my guests and accommodate them when possible. 

I had a similar issue but this time it was the host who canceled then lied to Airbnb to keep my money. This just happened last week. 

I made a reservation from Jan 1 to Jan 7th with a host in Roatán , Bay island Honduras. I  contacted  her checking about security and told her in that very first chat that the reservation was for my 60yr old mother who was going for vacation alone and I just wanted to make sure the place has full time security. She confirmed and ask me if the reservation was for my mother only and if she was the only person staying in the apartment and how she will enjoy her stay.  I confirmed that and told her I will proceed to book. Next day ,(31st)  she had contact me and told me that Airbnb will not let her accept my reservation because I was not the primary guest and to send my mother id / passport. I was working and when I arrive home , around 11pm, she already had cancelled the reservation. Claimed that I canceled and refused to refund my reservation ($751). I could have easily send the info once I was home since my mother was not arriving until the next day. 
airbnb supposedly contact her and ask her to refund me because of the misunderstanding ( even after she clearly acknowledged that I told her it was my mother staying only). But she refused.  Quite frustrating. 
it felt she did this on purpose, I should have known to be careful with listings that are new and don’t have any reviews… felt basically like a scam. “ A little bit of Roatán paradise” her title/ words not mine, felt more like a nightmare. Unfortunately Airbnb refused to do anything as well and told me that “both parties have to agree” 

anyone experienced something like this? 

Frank1907
Level 2
Freehold Township, NJ

Sign a complaint with consumer affairs they shield the host . This is theft