Can I adjust check in and check out times for specific days?

Gary-and-Hollie0
Level 1
Pine Grove, CA

Can I adjust check in and check out times for specific days?

Hi I’m new at this one guest under my belt! I had a guest request to check in early I agreed they are stay on night however, now I have a request for Friday to Sunday. Normal check in at 3pm check out at 12:00. Can I adjust those times for just a day? I hope that makes sense? So my guest coming on Friday I could offer a check in at 12:00 with a check out at 9am I need three hours to thoroughly clean between guests. Help and Thank you 

4 Replies 4
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Gary-and-Hollie0  You can't do that for a day, so you just have to tell the guest and hope he agrees.

This is one of the reasons why hosts turn down these requests.  If you want extra time to clean, you can set it up so there is a day between bookings.  Go to Availability -> Reservation Preferences -> Preparation time and choose "Block 1 night before and after each reservation."  

If you don't want to block out that time between reservations, you will need to get better at saying the @Ute42 NO.  🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You have policies for a reason @Gary-and-Hollie0. I would stick to them. I wouldn't impact (potentially negatively) one guest's stay to please another. If you want to allow early check-ins and late check-outs give yourself more time in between bookings by blocking out a calendar day. 

Also, I cannot tell you how many times someone has asked for an early check-in and I have rushed to get my cleaning done only for the guest to show up 2 hours past the normal check-in time. "We decided to stop for lunch." "We got carried away at xzy tourist attraction." 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Emilia42 

A sudden lunch often gets in the way when guests travel to an airbnb. Host Lucilla in italy once had that problem. Her guests were undecided if they would be able to make it to the already extended check-in time of 8pm or maybe they might have dinner in Milano which would move their arrival to 11pm.

@Ann72 

Host @Lucilla14  in Italy had terrible problems saying NO in 2018. Her biggest problem: Enforcing her check-in time. I was trying to help her and suggested to post this under her listing pictures:

2018-10-16 check in NO.jpg

Later she wrote to me:

I can't tell you how important it is for me to hear this.... I started to make a few extra euros per month, but deeply care that people feel confortable here, to a point where I am being too hard on myself.

I am constantly fighting the need to please everybody, my need for approval and my sense of inadequacy, I guess that's how I was raised, to always feel sorry to put my needs first.

I always had so much trouble to say NO and stand my ground, to the point I still sometimes find myself about to cry when I try to. …....

I just needed to feel less alone and understand how I can be professional and not being walked all over at the same time, so I asked advice from people who have much greater experience than mine. Sorry if I got a little personal, but your answer really touched me. Thanks a lot, now I feel tremendously better“

Ann and Emilia, pls read Lucilla's thread. She's such a nice girl, the sweetest person in the world. The way she writes is really touching.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Guests-pretension/td-p/838351

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Ute42  That's really cool you empowered her to say no and feel good about it.  Giving birth to identical twins did that for me.  I couldn't keep my health and sanity in order to nurture their health and sanity if I didn't learn how to say no much more often.

I hope @Gary-and-Hollie0 get a chance to read Lucilla's post!