[Festival] How to create a pet-friendly property

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

[Festival] How to create a pet-friendly property

yfuqvz3_normal.jpg

Make my property pet-friendly? Are you kidding? Never!

u2xsy34_normal.jpg

Maybe you've had an experience with a bad dog owner. Or maybe you aren't a dog person. Some hosts just don't want the hassle of dealing with pets. That's completely understandable. Hosting pets does not come without risks, but listing your property as pet-friendly can often increase your bookings and increase your bottom line.

I'm one of those people who loves to travel with my dog. As a matter of fact, I usually plan vacations with my dog in mind. Surveys of other pet parents show I am not alone. There is a high demand for pet-friendly listings. I'm always appreciative of those hosts who allow me to travel with my dog and that's one reason my listing is pet-friendly.

Below are a few ways you can pet-proof your home and provide amenities to traveling pet parents to make things easier on both host and guest.

• Charge a pet fee. Some pets leave no trace behind. Others
    require extra cleaning. No matter what I'm left with after a four-legged guest leaves, I always do “extra” sanitizing. Don't be afraid to charge a pet fee, but make sure it's reasonable. For homeshares, $25-$50 is completely fair. For whole house rentals, depending on the size $100-$200 is not unheard of.Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 12.19.56.png
  • Ditch the carpet. Hardwood or laminate flooring is your friend! Accidents happen, even with house-trained dogs. Cleaning up those accidents is super easy on hardwood or laminate flooring. Not so easy with carpet. If you can't get rid of the carpet, strategically placed throw rugs are a great option as they can easily be tossed in the washer and will save the wear and tear on your wall-to-wall carpet.
  • Require a crate. Even the most well-behaved dog can get anxious when staying in an unfamiliar place. Require that guests bringing dogs also bring a crate if they plan to leave the dog in the property unsupervised.

• Post clear rules. Dog rules are a must-have and make sure those rules are mentioned numerous times to your guests as well as posted in your listing as a reminder. The rules are up to you but mine require doggy guests to be house-trained, socialized, and supervised or crated at all times. I also state that any dog that becomes disruptive will need to leave the property immediately.

• Remove fragile objects and doggy temptations. Your grandmother's tea cup may look beautiful on that lower shelf, but one wag of the tail and it could come crashing down. Same thing with that beanie baby collection or stuffed animal. It may look too much like a dog toy so best to remove the temptation altogether.

• Designate a place for potty breaks. Make sure guests know where they can and can't walk their dog to “do their business.” Providing waste bags is also a nice gesture to remind guests to pick up after their pet.

6fedce9a15b60cffe15b.jpg

• Provide extras. My reviews often mention the extra steps I take to welcome doggy guests. I provide food and water bowls, dog treats, and doggy wipes. These cost me pennies per guest, but up the “wow” factor. 

• Offer a list of pet-friendly restaurants, activities. I don't bring my dog with me so he can sit in the house or room all day! When I travel I want to know where I can take my dog. Guests appreciate this insider information.

Hosting pets isn't for everyone, but in over a year and a half of welcoming dozens of pooches into my home, it's definitely made my hosting experience that much better. I've gotten many bookings not just because I'm pet-friendly, but because I actively cater to pet parents. As long as you're prepared, opening up your property to this very active market could be rewarding for you, too.

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 12.16.35.png

46 Replies 46

@Carole527: I would think if you are asking for a pet fee you would send your guest a "Special Offer" with the additional charge.

Hey that's great idea, thanks for suggesting. I'll look into it. 

@Carole527  That's another option from @Barry-and-Lera0  but here are a couple reasons why I use the Resolution Center:

-If you're on Instant Book, people bringing pets will go ahead and Instant Book, even if you explicitly ask people to contact you first when bringing a pet! (It happens to me all the time!)

-If you send a special offer, Airbnb takes it's cut. If you use the Resolution Center, the entire pet fee goes to you. ie, You request $25, you get $25, no commission is taken out.

Carole527
Level 2
Rockcliffe, United Kingdom

Good point Suzanne, thank you for pointing that out. I'm just a bit hesitant as I've never used the resolution centre. I'm guessing there is a guide somewhere?

@Carole527  Hosts have been asking for years for a pet fee option....alas, there is not one!

After experimenting with several different options, I've found the best way for me is to request the pet fee via the Resolution Center prior to arrival. When I send the request, I let the guests know the pet fee must be paid prior to check-in, or the pet will not be allowed on the property.

If they have not paid the pet fee within 2 days of arrival, I send a reminder.

Early on, I made the mistake of not insisting on the pet fee prior to arrival, and twice, it never got paid. So, now I am VERY firm that the pet fee must be paid in advance, or that pet will not be allowed on the property. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that and everyone pays up!

Carole527
Level 2
Rockcliffe, United Kingdom

Thank you Suzanne, I'll investigate.

I don't understand why AirBnB don't provide provision for it to be added as an extra to a booking, it would be interesting to hear their reasons.

Most of my guests bring their furry friends. I even had a parrot this year. My property is set up to welcome pets as they deserve to enjoy their holidays too  🙂

Jim554
Level 2
Oxford, MS

Jennifer1961
Level 2
Springfield, OR

I'm a new host and will be allowing pets. How do I set a pet fee and how do I know if the person is bringing their dog?

@Jennifer1961 

Unfortunately there's not a "pet fee" option but maybe someday there will be! Here's how I handle getting the pet fee....

After experimenting with several different options, I've found the best way for me is to request the pet fee via the Resolution Center prior to arrival. When I send the request, I let the guests know the pet fee must be paid prior to check-in, or the pet will not be allowed on the property.

Early on, I made the mistake of not insisting on the pet fee prior to arrival, and twice, it never got paid. So, now I am VERY firm that the pet fee must be paid in advance, or that pet will not be allowed on the property. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that and everyone pays up!

As for how do you know if the person is bringing a dog? Most people volunteer this information but make it very clear in your listing that you need to know in advance if the guest is bringing a pet. (you can view my listing to see how I mention it in several areas!)

You can also set up your "pre-booking" message to include asking if they are bringing any pets.

Thank you @Suzanne302 I took a look at your listing and will add some of that same language to mine. I see you also charge a deposit. Is that for everyone who books your home or just those with pet?

@Jennifer1961  That is for everyone. But just know that the Airbnb "deposit" is essentially useless, unfortunately. So don't count on it if you ever have damage. It's pretty much up to Airbnb to decide whether you get paid or not for damages.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Doglightful as expected from you @Suzanne302 

So lovely to see another person who values animals to help de-stress.

Jenny845
Level 2
Freeport, ME

How do you add a pet fee? I have a very pet friendly airbnb,  and never had a dog problem! I  have hosted people on the way to a dog show with 9 dogs!  I am more set up (I have crates, washable covers, private fenced in guest yard) and I would love to know how to add a fee for the dogs! 

@Jenny845 

Hosts have been asking for years for a pet fee option....alas, there is not one!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Suzanne302 . You almost have me thinking about pets and being friendly, and then I come to my senses. The fact that you could even get me to reconsider, for even a short time, proves that your post was [and is] highly effective.

Well done!