Weird requests

Answered!
Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Weird requests

Hi all, this is just a fun thread but I received a really odd message a few hours ago. 

Of course, I declined the guest but I think this must rank in one of the more wackier things I’ve had to deal with. 😂😂

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I LOVE your blue bathroom @Neil408 !! 

I also hate cream/magnolia! - boring! - I've perused your listing before when you posted & think your whole place is GORGEOUS! Particularly the shade of blue in the other rooms.....

I even like your bathroom blue! - In the old photo of it being white/cream/ it looks drab & cold & boring! BLUE IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!!!! (I guess a slight problem is the  old beige tiles, SO popular 10-20 yrs ago.... - Your lovely blue would go better with white tiles, whereas beige tiles  don't lend themselves to complimenting colours... except maybe sage, or red if you're being bold!

You home share... So, YOUR HOME, your taste in colours! Guests have NO BUSINESS finding fault with your colour scheme; it's YOUR home, not a hotel! - (If I was painting an 'entire place' for guests only, I'd paint the colours I thought MOST guests would like - the ghastly ubiquitous grey these days! But, Your HOME = Your colour choice!)

View Best Answer in original post

94 Replies 94

@Sandra126  Yet another reason why Sweden is so awesome.  Not perfect, maybe, but very, very awesome.  🙂 

@Lawrene0  I took sewing. The things we had to make were things we'd ever use or be caught dead in- a gathered gingham skirt, and an apron were a couple I remember.

And my sewing teacher was crazy. I had these really nice pinking shears my grandma had bought me. We all had small totes in the classroom for our stuff and one day my shears had disappeared. The teacher had commented not long before on how nice they were. So I waited until a day we had a substitute teacher and told her the regular teacher had said she left something for me in her drawer. When I looked in there, sure enough, there were my pinking shears. I took them back and the regular teacher, the thief, never mentioned it.

When my daughters took sewing in school, at least they got to make things they'd use, like a hoodie and a backpack. But they had already been sewing for years, so I remember them being so bored and frustrated when the class had to spend days just learning how to thread the machine and adjust the tension.

@Fred13  I loved Home Ec., particularly the sewing, which I still do.  Even though I went to big public junior and senior high schools, the classrooms were totally fitted out with sewing machines, cutting tables, and all the things we needed to make complicated clothes; the cooking classrooms each had six completely stocked and outfitted kitchens; even the driver's ed classroom had something like 30 simulators.  On top of that the teachers were sticklers and taught us to strive for perfection.  I still rip out seams and topstitching that aren't up to their standards.  🙂

@Ann72 I did sewing (on a Bernina), in the Home Economic class, probably more because of my interest in the mechanical workings of the machine which fascinated me. Of course, the guys accused me of pretending to even like it, that it was nothing but a ploy 'to meet more chicks'. Well, maybe. LoL

@Fred13  It's such a weird concept that sewing is for girls. All tailors, as well as upholsterers, were traditionally men. 

My 18 year old grandson is really into clothes designing and sewing. And he's definitely heterosexual 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13 

When I was at primary school, both boys and girls learnt some simple hand sewing.

I went to an all girls secondary school where they had just scrapped Home Education lessons just before I started. They replaced it with Craft, Design & Technology, where we did work with metal and wood, but to make interesting arty projects. I made some Mermaid ice tongs for my mum. It was fun, but it wasn't that practical.

There were certainly no car mechanics going on and nothing like plumbing or electrics, which would have been very useful. I also really wish I'd been taught to use a sewing machine. By the time I tacked the industrial kind (I went to a fashion college), I was a mature student and my mind didn't seem capable of learning to use new machinery anymore!

@Huma0  It's true that learning to use a sewing machine when young can make a difference.  I had stopped sewing for many years, and when I picked it up again honestly it had to be 30 years later, I immediately remembered how to thread the machine as soon as I sat down in front of it.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Yes! It's the threading part that has me stumped. I just can't remember how to do it. I guess if I used a machine often enough, it would be fine, but I just need to do it occasionally, by which time I have forgotten again. Age!

Whereas, learning to drive a car at 17 means that's second nature, even though it's probably more complicated (I have always had manual cars).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Good idea. I started a thread ages ago on renovations:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Before-and-after-pics/m-p/486728#M110692

but it was more for people to share projects they had completed rather than asking for advice on upcoming ones. I did share on there some future plans though and got some feedback, especially on paint colours. Can't say I've followed through with much of the plans, except for a bit of carpentry and some painting in my entrance hall. The rest is still on my 'to do list'.

@Huma0  That thread!  I just saw your first before and after pictures and I'm obsessed.  When I got home from work tonight I'll be going down that rabbit hole.  I've got one or two before-and-after pics too, so will post.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Yes, please do add!

I need to get some decent pictures of the newer bathrooms that I added, but can't seem to take nice ones. I should get a photographer around but I always put it off until after this or that planned improvement that I never get around to!

Are you going to start a thread on asking for renovation/decorating advice? I think that would be super interesting. Shame less guests contribute to the CC unless they are having a reservation/refund issue because I would love to hear their thoughts too. Still laughing about @Neil408 's guest's very 'honest' opinion!

@Huma0  I don't have any projects with which to start that thread!  Maybe someone else will do it soon, or maybe I'll come up with a project and start one.  I'll be back in Maine next week and I'll take a look around.  🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Okay, I will also try think of something. There are always projects in my house, but I have a fairly clear idea of what I want to do and have already bought paint colours, wallpaper etc.

@Huma0  That's usually how I feel too.  When I was doing the cabin I had a complete picture in my head of how it would look and just found other people's opinions massively annoying - the architect saying why the table there, the then-boyfriend saying don't put the staircase there, don't put that painting there, why did you take that window out, blah blah blah blah blah.  I ignored everyone and it came out just the way I wanted it to.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

I don't always start off with a complete picture of what I want to do with a space, but I very much know what I like and am quite good at finding it within my budget. One I have decided on one element, the rest usually just falls into place.

When I was doing my new bathrooms, the builder repeatedly tried to talk me out of using the tiles I had chosen for the downstairs toilet, but I stuck to my guns. Everyone, and I mean every single friend, family member or guest, who has seen that room absolutely loves the tiles. They get more comments than most things in the house.

Some people know what they don't like, but have no idea of what they do like and therefore veer on the side of caution. If you try to make suggestions, e.g. colours or whatever, they can't picture it. I usually tell them to look at interiors magazines and at Pinterest as a picture speaks a thousand words.