how much coffee do you supply?

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

how much coffee do you supply?

My last 2 guest stays were one day and 3 days. The guests who were here 3 days drank a whole 1.5 lb. container of Starbucks coffee. They were only here early in the morning and then got back about 8 pm. The guest who stayed a single night prepared 2 full pots of coffee, used a dozen creamers and as many packets of sugar. She threw out most of the coffee she brewed. Such a waste and expense! In hotels, they leave 2 packets of coffee and replace any used ones the next day. Am I being stingy by thinking that supplying an unlimited amount of coffee sets me up for being depleted by such guests? Would I be better off by getting a smaller coffee pot? I don't drink coffee, so I don't really know what is normal.

68 Replies 68
Tracey---Bryan0
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

I like to be generous with the coffee and offer multiple options: Nespresso, regular & decaf roasted and ground from a local shop, and instant. I have a French Press and Chemex. (Not saying you should do this, just saying what we do.) It can get a little pricey especially, like you said, if people are wasteful, but mostly people aren't. Some don't drink coffee at all so it kind of all evens out over time. Our place is in an urban location that's kind of hip and attracts the kind of guest that is snobby about coffee. I'm a bit snobby too, haha. Anyway, I put myself in the shoes of a guest and felt that it would be awesome to stay in a place where plenty of great coffee is available. 

Tracey, have you found an instant coffee you like?

I leave a lb. of Caff and a lb of decaf (ground), milk sugar etc. and have never had anyone take advantage after years of hosting. If someone took it home, so what. Costs around $9 for the good stuff.

My minimum number of nights is 4, so I buy 1/4 pound of freshly ground local coffee. For a week long stay l buy half a pound and I always invite guests to take any leftovers home if they lked it. I'm thrilled if they take it because I wouldn't want to throw what's left over out. I have to think of the coffee as a gift; once you give it, you have no control over what happens to it. I think these amounts work because no one has said they ran out.

@Donna240 , that;s an interesting concept. Do you send it with them because it's like any other open container of food? Some may balk at having to use coffee that's already been opened? I don't live near an urban center, and it's 5 miles from the nearest Starbucks in our local grocery store. I feel I need to provide something. To get freshly ground here, I have to drive nearly an hour. That won't happen since I'm still taking one night stays.

@Julie1525  I myself would balk at using something already opened, so that is why I offer it to the guests who have opened it. Then they see it for what it truly is ... a gift for them to use at my home or theirs. Our situations are different and if I were your guest I would appreciate the fact that you provide coffee at all. I don’t really expect a host to provide coffee or tea, but I started out with a British platform that insisted hosts offer it, and after a little thought, decided it was a nice way of saying welcome and supporting my local roaster.. My city is so expensive that I feel obliged to do more for my guests than I would if  I lived elsewhere.  I also have the luxury of a 4 day minimum stay and feel I should do more than I would consider if my market did not warrant it. In the end, we all find a way to make hosting work for us as well as for our guests, within the confines of our particular markets. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We offer Nespresso. Regardless of stay length, it's six capsules. More often than not, they are very rarely finished off, despite being considered a luxury brand. That said, we have a dozen coffee shops (including four Starbucks) within a five-minute walk of the house.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I think @Julie1525, the guests have taken it with them. 

You don’t have to oversupply for every event. I supply for guests and they can always buy more themselves, from the nearby supermarkets. If guests are travelling by road, I’m not going to overfill or overstock supplies that can be taken. 

I provide ground coffee and a good instant (yuk) for the guest to choose, I have a small espresso machine and two small plungers. Having plungers that make a large cup/mug each, allows those who are nervous around machines, the option to still have a good fuss free coffee.

@Cathie19 , good points! Could you further explain the plungers? I'm totally iin the dark.

I think plungers are like French press pots AKA cafetieres in some regions.

I’ve seen small ones that only make a few cups in IKEA for less than ten dollars.

You just put the ground  coffee in the bottom, pour boiling water over the top and press the plunger thing down.

Pros:

they make very good coffee

you don’t need paper filters

they are dishwasher safe

they don’t require electricity.

they don’t take up much space

Cons:

the used grounds can be messy

you need to have a way to boil water

some people may not be familiar with their use

they don’t keep the coffee warm.

I put the coffee in a labeled mason jar. I estimate a generous amount, say 3 cups per person per day, plus a little extra.

I’m a big coffee drinker. When I stay in Airbnbs I usually go to a local supermarket and buy my own coffee because I know that I drink more than a normal person and don’t want to ask the host for more.

@Julie143  The French presses not keeping the coffe warm is a con, but I made myself and friends "Bodum warmers" that have a layer of dacron batting between 2 layer sof fabric, are shaped to the pot, and slip right over it. They keep the coffee hot for quite awhile. You can also just wrap it in a towel.

I have a steel double insulated plunger, works as an instant thermos.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

I supply 3-6 packets depending upon the number of total guests and the length of stay.  This is intended for short term guests.  I notify long term guests (over 7 days) that the initial items that I provide are complimentary, but I will not re-stock/replenish anything for the remainder of their stay (e.g. they can stop by a store if they want more of anything).

This is not a hotel and they can purchase what they like from the store and make themselves at home.  😄

Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

In the scheme of things, it's a very small investment to perhaps satisfy a guest and get a repeat renter.  I would bet that when you have a guest that doesn't use any coffee you don't refund them something, so on average it probably works out.

I have a Kurig and a tree that holds about 30 K-cups and restock it at the beginning of each stay and I don't refill it.  I have had great feedback, with my average stay in the upper $300s a $10 coffee investment is worth it.  BTW: I also put out double soap, shampoo, conditioner and hand lotion (hotel size).

A little extra effort goes a long way and I have many repeat guests.