SUPERHOSTS - HELP OUR FELLOW HOSTS IN UKRAINE SUFFERING FROM THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF WAR

Answered!
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

SUPERHOSTS - HELP OUR FELLOW HOSTS IN UKRAINE SUFFERING FROM THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF WAR

I've seen on some FB hosts groups that Superhosts who haven't yet 'spent' their $100 dollar Airbnb reward voucher are booking accommodation with UKRAINE hosts with the voucher.

This means that these hosts will have some guaranteed income  from the vouchers at a time of uncertainty and horror in their lives.

A small gesture from the Airbnb community   that all SH could consider. I will certainly be doing this. 

You can of course cancel at the last minute and the host will still be paid. 

Would Airbnb consider helping hosts in UKRAINE by not charging their fee for any accommodation booking in the country over the next few months @Stephanie  @Nick @Catherine-Powell ????

162 Replies 162
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

I have lost count of all the Hosts on various Face Book Airbnb groups that have made reservations.  

Hi, my name is Arthur and I am from Ukraine. Please do not consider this extortion or begging, it so happened that I have to turn to you for help. I beg you if you have the opportunity to help. My father will soon go to defend Ukraine to the east, to hell. I'm trying to raise money for his bulletproof vests and small military items. If you have the opportunity to help not with words but with deeds, I beg you to do so. May the Lord bless you. Peaceful sky overhead.
P.S. All photo and video proofs will be provided
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Go @Kate867

Amazing. So moved by the stories here of hosts booking and responses from Ukrainian hosts. 

Robin114
Level 3
Lewisburg, WV

How about Airbnb drop all their fees for Ukraine, so people can "book a stay" with a family and the family gets the money?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Replying again to keep it on top of pile. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Peter1 Here is the original thread. If you choose to book in Ukraine do share any response you might get from the host. Clearly they have other things to worry about at present and may not be in a position to respond but some have managed to.

Kate867
Level 10

Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?24C48793-88FB-422C-BD2F-BBF7041CB890.png

@Kate867 If true this is marvellous. @Sybe @Stephanie Any chance of confirming that Airbnb are not charging hosts service fees in Ukraine?

Guys - Ignore this. When I look to book in Ukraine the service fee is now £ZERO!!!!!

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Kate867 This is not confirmed information from Airbnb at this time, but we will keep you updated should that change in the future!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie It may not be confirmed by Airbnb yet but the website isn't charging a service fee in Ukraine anymore.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emilie 

The Guardian has a piece on Airbnb hosts booking accommodation in Ukraine. Apparently they are waiting on comment from Airbnb as well.

@Helen3 Could you perhaps attach the URL of the story? I just don't seem able to!

Kate867
Level 10

If Airbnb knew who originally had the idea to do this voucher thing and posted it on Facebook (under a different name than their Airbnb account) … probably only thinking a few hosts would do it… and not the viral result that has occurred.. do you think they would be punished?

@Kate867 No chance of punishment now that Airbnb are garnering good publicity from it.

Kate867
Level 10

Ok, so hope this is ok… it was us… Ronald and Kate Macrae.. We woke up a few days ago, stressing over the Ukraine Crisis and wondering what we could do… So,.. thinking outside the box a bit, we thought about our unused Superhost voucher and as it has no monetary or resale value we thought we would simply book a place in Kiev, a home share with one listing , so we could pass the money on to someone who would most likely need it.  We got a really heartfelt message of thanks in return which reduced us both to tears.    At that point we thought well why not post our idea on the three Airbnb FB groups that we have joined… namely AirbnbUK, AirbnbchatUK and Airbnb Superhost.  We honestly thought maybe a few other hosts would do it, use their vouchers and help a bit….. but then it went absolutely’Viral’!   We can’t even keep up with it!  We tried answering people’s questions as they responded to our posts, then people were sharing .. and then people were mentioning the press.. and then demanding service fees were dropped… and then we thought we would be delisted!… and basically we were hiding under a blanket… We have one Airbnb (our own home but we live in a house that is part of Ron’s job) which we rely on for a main part of our income… Ron is a shepherd and I am retired, so we really don’t want to be booted off the platform but we are equally incredibly pleased that so many have taken this on board, even booking without vouchers…. So, sorry if this sounds like a ‘Dear Deirdre’ post, but it does feel good to get it off my chest… If Airbnb boot us off the platform, we will deal with it and list elsewhere… phew