SUPERHOSTS - HELP OUR FELLOW HOSTS IN UKRAINE SUFFERING FROM THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF WAR

Answered!
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

SUPERHOSTS - HELP OUR FELLOW HOSTS IN UKRAINE SUFFERING FROM THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF WAR

I've seen on some FB hosts groups that Superhosts who haven't yet 'spent' their $100 dollar Airbnb reward voucher are booking accommodation with UKRAINE hosts with the voucher.

This means that these hosts will have some guaranteed income  from the vouchers at a time of uncertainty and horror in their lives.

A small gesture from the Airbnb community   that all SH could consider. I will certainly be doing this. 

You can of course cancel at the last minute and the host will still be paid. 

Would Airbnb consider helping hosts in UKRAINE by not charging their fee for any accommodation booking in the country over the next few months @Stephanie  @Nick @Catherine-Powell ????

162 Replies 162
Andrii23
Level 2
Kharkiv, Ukraine

Dear members of the AIRBNB community, thank you for helping Ukrainians during this difficult period of the war. 🙏 Many Ukrainians were forced to leave the country, but many stayed, thank you again. If anyone wants to help book my accommodation in Kharkov, I will be very grateful. I hope after the war we will meet at my house in the beautiful city of Kharkov. Rest assured, we will rebuild everything and everything will look even better! 👍

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Andrii23 

we are devastated at recent events in Ukraine and the deaths and destruction that has occurred.

however our initiative on this post is to help established hosts that have been operating since 2021 or longer who we can verify through their reviews and ratings that they are genuine .

sadly many  have set up host profiles since they war started including yourself and we have no way of knowing whether you are genuine or a scammer so we can't recommend hosts make bookings with you. 

for any Ukrainian's posting here we hope you get the help and support you need soon and this terrible war ends 

Serhii19
Level 2
Kyiv, Ukraine

Thanks all

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Serhii19 

Thank you for sharing your story and your news from your country.

I am sure you are genuine however many, many new listings have sprung up in Ukraine since the war and as hosts we have no way of telling which ones are genuine and which ones have sadly been set up by scammers who may not even be from Ukraine who are cashing in, in the tragic situation in Ukraine.

We therefore are having to recommend that our community do not book accommodation with new listings set up in 2022, but rather donate to established hosts who have accommodation listed in 2021 or before who have a room in a shared home or single listing and established reviews and ratings that demonstrate they are genuine. 

Nina1276
Level 3
Kherson, Ukraine

Hello. My name is Nina. I'm from Ukraine. Unfortunately, there is a war going on in our country. And I'm just delighted with people who help strangers. You are beautiful. Refugees live in my apartments, for free. And I also help pensioners and the homeless I will be very grateful if someone wants to help and support us by booking my accommodation. I have been on airbnb since January 2021, for a year already. Thanks.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Nina1276 

as mentioned earlier in this thread sadly we can't recommend hosts book accommodation at new listings such as yours as we have no way of knowing if they are genuine or have been set up by scammers taking advantage of  the devastating situation in Ukraine . 

hosts please only book at listings set up in 2021 or before with homeshare hosts/hosts with one or two listings with positive reviews .

in this way you can be sure your money is going to a genuine host . 

I have an ad created in 2021. You can’t add a new ad on the airbnb website right now. Well, okay. Anyway, thanks for helping other residents of Ukraine. This is very valuable.💙💛🙏🙏🙏

Nina1276
Level 3
Kherson, Ukraine

I'm from the small town of Kherson. I didn't have many bookings, but with all the money I try to help others who need it. I'm very scared, but I go outside and feed the dogs. Thank you for your help. I'm sure everything will be fine .Ukraine will win.

@Helen3  Do you write the review after the supposed stay is over? I sure will not stay but Airbnb still will send message asking review. I want to know what most hosts do in this case. I am thinking I might not write anything but not sure.

@Z-2   I was wondering about that too but cannot really review their accommodation as we really don’t know.  There’s no value added to put in a fake review. Even to say we were glad to help and wish them well doesn’t really help their future guests checking reviews.  
Thoughts anyone else?  

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Willene1 @Z-2   I also struggled with this, but both places I booked are in areas that are unlikely to be left standing when this all comes to an end.  I also suspect it will be a long long time before any meaningful tourism will return to those areas.   Therefore, for many, these reviews are another opportunity to give support.  So, I gave five stars all round based on their previous star ratings and in the written part, mentioned that although I had not stayed I was sure that the rating was well deserved under current circumstances.  Communication with both my Hosts was extremely good, with one of them even messaging mid non-stay to congratulate me on International Women’s Day.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kate867 I agree using the review to send messages of support to hosts of Ukraine is a great way to use reviews when booking with Ukrainian hosts 

@Kate867  Thx. I did that as well. I noticed many hosts stating they were booking to show support even though not staying. Good idea and honest. Was so nice reading so many of these reviews.  She did communicate with me a few times and now silence. She offered her accommodations to others needing a safe place to stay and spent nights sleeping in the basement to be safe. Now silence and no responses. I fear she has had to leave Kiyv now and just pray she is safe. I see she now has many more non staying guests so hopefully some financial support however small.  

help the Ukrainian army lacks the resources to fight the Russian horde at the moment we need components for communications and other equipment every means of communication saves someone's life do not be indifferent. I, a serviceman of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, am asking you not to help myself, but to help all of us to stay alive as long as possible and liberate the occupied territory more.

Hello friends! Thank you for your care and support during this terrible time. We really appreciate that you are worried about us and trying to support the Ukrainians. Thank you for your financial support as well. In some discussions, I have already published how, thanks to you, we help families in need. Who wants to get to know each other better, chat and find out the latest news from Ukraine - Write to me, I will be glad to communicate and positive emotions to divert a little from the war.

Alex Egorov