A new system to hold guests accountable

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

A new system to hold guests accountable

guest-accountability-XL copia.png

When you welcome guests to stay in your space, it’s essential that they respect your home, follow your house rules, communicate promptly if issues arise, and avoid creating a mess. So, we’re introducing ground rules for guests – a new set of enforceable standards that all guests must follow.

If a guest breaks ground rules, they get a warning the first time. If the issues persist, they'll be suspended and, if necessary, permanently removed from Airbnb.

You’ll still be able to write any additional house rules for guests to follow. And if a guest violates any of your house rules, we’ll support you if you need to cancel the reservation early. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

101 Replies 101
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Gerben2 ,

I get your concern!! But, I would like to also highlight that Airbnb encourages Hosts to promptly report violations of these ground rules. When a Host is dealing with a suspected or actual violation of the ground rules, we ask that they:

• Communicate with the guest
  • Document the issue through the Airbnb message thread, photos etc.
  • Report any issues by airbnb.com/help/contact-us, or request payment for any damages through the Resolution Center.
  • Leave an honest review with feedback so that the guest can improve for future Hosts.

If a guest violates any of the standard house rules or additional rules, we’ll support the Host if they need to cancel the reservation. (More details for ground rules)

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika  @Sybe   What assurances do hosts have that they will not be suspended for reporting a guest's violation of AirBNB's policies? 

On multiple social media platforms, not a day goes by that a host is bemoaning the fact their listings have been suspended (with NO warning or explanation) after reporting a guest for throwing a party. 

Meanwhile...

If a guest breaks ground rules they get a warning the first time.

Why are HOSTS not afforded a warning first??  Quite the double-standard, wouldn't you agree?

If the issue persists, they will be suspended and, if necessary, permanently removed from AirBNB. 

Why would you WANT to keep a habitual offender? When would it NOT be necessary to remove someone who repeatedly breaks rules? Oh wait, I keep forgetting. AirBNB is guest-centric...  It's HOSTS that get booted with no warning. 

You forgot to mention how easy it is for a guest to create a new profile. Different email, borrow someone else's credit card, change your IP address, ask a friend to set up a new account, not too difficult.

Tom934
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Yep, I even had video evidence of the guest breaking the rules and my claims for their subsequent party damage was thrown out as the guest denied wrongdoing.

I learnt that the super host status means nothing when the system is so flawed.

@Sybe I am afraid I just tried to remove what I consider to be a 'retaliatory review' left some months ago, and just contacted 'support'. I offered to share supporting info. in my initial contact.

Unfortunately, I was confronted with the usual ridiculous 'support' agent reaction. They 'reviewed' the info on the platform, and came back with the standard scripted response about reviews, etc. and concluded the review cannot be removed. This is WITHOUT asking me for ANY supporting information. And yet the announcement bulletin clearly states..." When you dispute a review, we’ll ask you to provide evidence, such as photos or message threads with guests.... " NOT ALL communication is on the platform, especially when a guest is staying in a shared home with the host, for example, or where the communication has been verbally by telephone, etc. And what exactly constitutes a 'serious' violation?

In my case, I found out other 'superhosts' have made similar remarks about the same guest, who failed to communicate, and has not read the listing and rules, and then makes some exaggerated and false statements or some dissatisfaction AFTER their stay!

As usual, I believe the airbnb platform is unfair to Hosts, let alone 'Superhosts'. Support is as ever disappointing and tortuous, and sadly a waste of time. I have even had invitations to 'review' a recent support  agent, and found that the name of the support agent I was being asked to review was not the same person that had corresponded with me at all! And I might add I only get asked to 'review' selectively, and not all interactions. 

It is disconcerting that hosts take a chance with guests who have no experience or reviews with airbnb, and then to find the airbnb attitude towards experienced hosts is predominantly unfair. The 'superhost' status is merely there to help airbnb earn more revenue, and is worthless when it comes to credibility in the eyes of airbnb. 

Not at all satisfied that these apparent 'new updates' have been thoroughly thought through, or may be properly enforced, implemented or executed.

Bob1240
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thanks for this. Could you review discussions in the Resource Centre about rising fuel costs?
This is a high priority for hosts in the UK who have seen costs more than double this year, with more to come.

Could Airbnb help by running a campaign and by introducing a facility for fuel surcharges for guests who act irresponsibly; or an up front fuel surcharge, returnable to those who manage their fuel use?

@Sybe  @Catherine-Powell  @Emilie 

Yeah, sorry but I don't have a lot of confidence when the process doesn't REQUIRE the guest to provide an ID. 

If you don't mandate the person provide an official Government ID and a matching selfie, you're opening up a huge potential identity theft loophole. 

This is why, regardless of AirBNB policy, I require my guests to send a photo of their ID to me through the app. I mean, if Brian Chesky can require it in his House Rules for the purpose of running a background check, so can I.  I will protect myself since I don't trust AirBNB to do it for me. I mean seriously, would YOU trust a company that suspends a host's listing because of misbehaving guests? I don't.

Per AirBNB...

As part of the identity verification process, we may ask you to provide us with: (Or you might not...)

• Legal name, address, and/or other personal information. Often, these are sufficient for us to verify your identity.  
  • Photo of your Government ID. This could be a driver’s license, passport, identity card, or visa. Learn more about types of Government ID.
  • Selfie. We may need to ask you for a photograph along with your Government ID. If you can’t provide a selfie that matches your Government ID, you can contact us for an alternative verification method.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @JoandJoe0 for the feedback - I've passed it all on and if I get more info I'll share it here!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Warden0
Level 2
Canberra, Australia

I wonder if guests have access to these forums, if so they would probably claim unfairness. However there a many colouful reviews left by guest regarding Abnb experiences on product review website.
Rules are good if host could prove the guest violated them, but if guest deny, Abnb refers the claim to insurance department who has a high standard of proof insisting on a full report from expert witness such as plumbing inspector at the expense of the host who is not guaranteed to be reimbursed should that report not deliver a connection between the guest and the damage, the guest could simply say they did not do it or not their problem so then you need to get forensic team to match up their DNA to the item damaged (where they deny touching it) which could be much more than the cost of the replacement or repair, then when the host find more damaged items within the time period the insurance department has closed the case as those items are not covered and no reason given.
If a host is new or not hosted for a while and unlucky to get a row of bad guests their listing is removed permanently. Accountability seems unlikely unless you have an honest guest who volunteers to pay for damages anyway, and those could be the 5 star review holders in most stays.

Paresh3
Level 3
Budapest, Hungary

Tried the request to remove what I consider to be retaliatory review. It seems this information has not fed through to the Support team!

Other Superhosts have made similar comments about the same guest and yet airbnb think it is fine, without even asking me for any further info. How airbnb support can possibly decide without all the facts is beyond me. I am not even sure just how far their ' investigation' went. 

Sadly disappointing that airbnb always appear to be on the side of people with little or no reviews and ignore their "Superhosts". It's a joke!

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Paresh3 for your feedback on the new policy. I'll share it with the team, and nudge them as well to follow-up further with you since it's not been resolved yet!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sophannara0
Level 2
Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia

Great to join this and i will share all of info from our guest. thank u

Carolyn693
Level 2
Maleny, Australia

When the CEO says in the 2022 winter release it will be easy for hosts to remove UNFAIR, RETALITORY reviews I wish he meant what he said.

Why do I have to fight tooth and nail with Airbnb who tells me this organization is built on trust but they fail to communicate, the Airbnb support team fails to communicate (six days of radio silence) and Airbnb fails to keep their leadership promises to its hosts.

Yet me the host is left to bear the brunt of a bias, unfair & retaliatory review and the review does reputational damage to my business despite the fact that I am now practically begging for its removal and yet I am being completely ignored.

Where is the TRUST and where is the communication between the CEO and the people who are meant to carry out his words.

@Emilie

@Catherine-Powell 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Carolyn693 ,

As I came across your concern, I am forwarding it to the relevant team, if they can have a closer look at your case.  I hope someone reaches out to you soon to provide some clarity regarding this!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for your help.

I'm still at a loss as to why the so called Airbnb Support for superhosts keeps determining the review as not removable only based on the public review.

Forgive my understanding of the word review as I would consider it to be ALL of the questions and answers from a guest would determine the complete review and all of the content contained in the same questions would be the complete content. Mathematically the review requires all of the ratings to determine the average as part of the complete review.

Its the same as agreeing the to house rules, you cant pick and choose which rule you agree to or not agree to. The support team should not pick and choose that the public review is the only part of the review or content to make a determination on.

This guest broke their agreed house rules, they broke the Airbnb Ground Rules for Guests and failed to communicate any issues to me during their stay.

In their complete review she low scored my continuously five star property. This review falls into into the category of unfair, bias & prejudice, as they did not communicate any issues during their stay or allow the host any capacity to remedy/rectify any so called issues during their stay. That in itself is a major bias or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.

Have a look at Brian Cheskys video of the Winter 2022 release Point 7 where he specifically mentions the words "unfair, retaliatory reviews.
If the CEO states this, then the company he lead should 100% back up his promise to all hosts. This is called trust, apparently the Airbnb platform is built on trust but I'm not feeling it.

@Emilie

@Catherine-Powell