Airbnb officially codifies its global party ban.

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb officially codifies its global party ban.

Quincy_0-1649420902290.png

Airbnb is formally codifying its party ban policy following the success of the temporary global party ban implemented in summer 2020. As a part of this updated policy, Airbnb will continue to prohibit disruptive parties and events, including open-invite gatherings. “Party house” properties will also continue to be strictly prohibited. 

The original party ban, prompted by COVID-19 concerns around large gatherings prior to the introduction of vaccines, also included a 16-person occupancy cap. Based on feedback from a number of Hosts who have listings that can house above 16 people comfortably - in the coming months, Airbnb will be removing this occupancy cap.

This policy demonstrates Airbnb’s continued commitment to supporting community safety and will continue to include serious consequences for guests who attempt to violate these rules, varying from account suspension to full removal from the platform.

Learn more about this policy update.

16 Replies 16
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Helen744 This sounds like a good move, My rules have a little note to remind people that we are all a part of the community and therefore please respect the neighbours while living like a local in our neighbourhood. Time to check and up date these messages I guess . the party ban is useful and I am pleased to see it become permanent for all travellers . It makes life easier. H

I think this is great. I love that there is a partnership with VRBO to identify violators and properties.

But it doesn’t go far enough. In Kansas City we worked with Airbnb to get a law passed to make short term rentals legal. The maximum occupancy is 2 per bedroom plus one or 8 people whichever is smaller. So in a 5 bedroom house the max is still 8. Owners may have no more than one Airbnb in a building, 

And yet I’ve been able to bookmark listings advertising for as much as 2-3 times the maximum. 70% of the units are not licensed or legal.

One neighbor has two separate apartments listed in the same single family home. Neighbors testified against another absentee investor advertising his home for large groups and  parties on social media. He lost when we proved his own guest reviews showed them praising his place for hosting huge groups in a single family home on a quiet street. 

Shut illegal rentals down. Those are where the parties are occurring. Those are where the last few shootings happened. Do we think those investors care about policing this policy? 

Also, the individuals on the hotline need to be dedicated and willing to work with the police and the host to evict violators. 

Change the terms of service and confirmation emails to remind guests that ONLY the people on the reservation are allowed in a rental unit without prior permission. And that violators will be prosecuted. Then make sure there’s a valid ID (state issued) on file. 

I think the no party rule helps neighborhoods. But it must be enforced. We aren’t cheap alternatives to event spaces. Kansas City is really struggling on this issue.

@Christine615 Very insightful Christine H

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Airbnb what is your definition of “party”?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Airbnb so what are the consequences if a host reports a party? Does the party have to be in full swing or can they prevent it with a no questions asked removal of the guests?

What happens to the reviews that the partying guests leave? Are guests "investigated" like hosts when someone reports that they have thrown a party (accounts suspended indefinitely, other bookings canceled?)

How many times can a guest violate the party ban before ABB removes them from the platform?

Will ABB be sweeping social media to ask "influencers" to remove party house suggestions? 

If a guest gets caught on a reservation where extra people evolve into a party, will ALL the people included on that reservation suffer consequences? Or can that guest just ask someone else to book the next party house?

I want to know what the consequences are if a NIEGHBOR reports a party to the host!?

Lloyd114
Level 1
Charlemont, MA

Why not create a special rental category for facilities that can accommodate larger

gatherings?   There are properties  that have the permitting,  adequate plumbing and wiring, do not have neighbor issues, etc.  There are also all kinds of groups looking for places that can accommodate more people than a typical Airbnb.   The vast majority of such groups are comprised of responsible individuals.

@Lloyd114 personally? I think ABB needs to just buy a website for places that WANT to host events and parties/huge groups. You are right that they do exist. But I certainly would not want any place I owned to be listed alongside such a venue. Guests don't read or pay attention. If they see a listing that says its okay to party here, they may think my listing is that one, or that what they read on one page applies to me too-- after all, we are all Airbnbs.

ABB would be MUCH better off buying an event space site and starting up a platform for that--something like peerspace. Liability issues seem to be the only thing holding that plan back. 

@Lloyd I think that is part of the roll out if you read it carefully about the 16 plus group numbers, but pre planned as to number of guests. This is to prevent random rolling parties similar to what Christine described H

Brilliant!!

I might be old, but in my place if neighbor reports audible (not loud) music at 3AM - guest will get a warning and (depending on the level of the sound) a boot. 

Gena87
Level 1
Ocala, FL

I live two houses down from an AirBnB rental.   Currently, there are at least 14 vehicles parked on our residential, semi-rural road and in the yard on the property.   The host has specified "no parties or events" in his listing.

I'm curious as to consequences, after this guideline is violated.

If there things go on that are disruptive or dangerous in our little corner of the neighborhood, we will be reporting to local law enforcement. 

Violations of 'party rules' is why so many families and individuals dread the thought of an airbnb sublet next door.  

The host does not reside locally, as far as we know.   We (other neighbors and I) feel pretty powerless right now.   

I have stayed in several different AirBnB locations, now, and each has been a wonderful experience!  I hate to see things occur that sour whole neighborhoods on the good that CAN be accomplished via this company's business model.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

I am delighted to see this as well.  Being in beach communities, parties are always top of mind.  There is a lot of communication prior to arrival about guest count and parties  and acting accordingly. 

It would be nice however if Airbnb was more proactive with helping hosts diffuse parties.  I have read a lot of hosts that don't get help from Airbnb when this occurs.  For example having to wait for a call back for hours and really long hold times.  

Karen

No help at all. They super biased in favor of the guests.