Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Airbnb
Official Account

Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Untitled.jpg

As our partners on Airbnb, Hosts do an incredible job of honoring reservations and going above and beyond to support guests every day. That’s why guests from around the world trust complete strangers with some of the most important days of their lives—from summer vacations and staycations to honeymoons and anniversary celebrations. 

But when Hosts cancel on guests for preventable reasons—like accidentally double-booking or wanting to host friends and family instead—guests lose the confidence to book on Airbnb, and this impacts all Hosts and hurts our entire community. 

Starting August 22, 2022, we’re updating our Host Cancellation Policy. The existing policy has been in place for many years and included small fees if you had to cancel a reservation. 

Get the full details on the Resource Center.

188 Replies 188
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for coming back to me @Holly279! I understand it's been a frustrating process and I'm truly sorry for that. I've sent this to the team for you on Friday, so I've not heard back just yet I'm afraid. As soon as I have any more news I will let you know here. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I would like see the Two Week option return for host cancelation policy in which guest receives full refund for canceling.  When I first started two and a half years ago, the Moderate cancellation policy was Two Weeks, and now it is 5 days. There is now the Firm option for One Month. 

VRBO reccomened policy is Two Weeks with is their Flexible. 

After the Summer Release Update many host have seen a slow down in bookings. In the past when a guest canceled on short notice, the page views would ramp up instantly and could rely on it rebooking so could offer more flexibility for guest to cancel. But that may not be the case anymore and the Two Week option would be ideal.

Before Covid not a single guest canceled with the Moderate policy that had two weeks option for full refund. I booked up very quickly with no reviews with this policy. Most of my guest then canceled way in advance. But after Covid guest are making tentative plans, some making back up plans and wait until the weather forecast to choose. Sometimes I have guest make two reservations for the same listing, as they have a backup plan, and end up canceling or rescheduling one, then cancel it. So need something between the 5 days and month options. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @John5097 for the suggestion on the available Cancellation policies, it's quite interesting to read how the way some guests book over the past couple of years!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks @Emilie  yes its far more often that guest cancel. I didn't have any cancellations prior to covid. I went live on February 7th 2020, booked up really fast, with no reviews, all with the Two Week cancelation policy. No guest canceled until March, the first covid wave. And most guest cancel way in advance. I was able to use the Flexible policy but six weeks into Covid and some guest were starting to ask questions the night before check in, if I had canoes, etc, as they were bargain hunting searching for discounted listings that were marked down the night before. So I think guest would be fine with the Two Week policy as that's still enough time to cancel and not likely some emergency or covid wave will be an issue. But they think anything can happen in a month. But, yes, it didn't take long for some guest to use the flexible policy as an opportunity to keep shopping for other listings. 

I think Airbnb should try an prioritize being more accommodating to both guest and host. With the new summer roll out, Airbnb chooses a random week for them, if they click on a category, it shows listings hundreds of miles away. That's just trying to squeeze as much money out of guest as possible. And with host, they took away the Moderate Two Week policy  that was the most popular for both host and guest, and industry standard. So having the Two Week cancelation policy could be much more useful for host. 

I think guest are also catching on that Airbnb's policy is too much marketing. For example, Its a shame they don't offer the option for travel insurance before confirming the reservation. The bad host will still find ways to cancel the reservation using extenuating circumstances, so its more important that both the good host and guest are an option. But reality is that sometimes things happen, guest need to cancel, but both need to honor the agreement. Host need to be aware that guest have scheduled this time to travel, they have taken off work, or need the wifi and space for work, have booked flights, arranged pet sitters, purchased tickets, plan to attend some work conference, or medical treatment. I have guest who are in town for surgery. At the same time some guest don't read the listing, booking the wrong location, keep canceling, rebooking, changing dates, may expect more personal attention than the listing description, and as in my case there are always plenty of other listings available in my area, and guest should always have some kind of back up plan, because an AC or pipe could break. I've had power knocked out for 2 weeks from a minor storm. I was one of the last ones to be restored, while 90% of the area was recored within two days. That's also a part of Airbnb, guest may not get the listing they wanted, because of extenuating circumstances, or in very few cases not a good fit because guest have unrealistic expectations. But Two Week option would help both host and guest.  

Sorry up early again this morning! 🙂 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

If  host cancellations are so rare, why does Airbnb need to implement these draconian policies of charging hosts the price of the reservation?  If host cancellations are not as rare as Airbnb likes to claim, then perhaps they need to do a better job of vetting hosts.

It is not really rocket science to determine whether a cancellations is warrented or not.  If a tree falls on your house or the heat goes out the host should not also be charged hundreds of dollars.  

I begin to wonder if Airbnb isn't now seeing hosts as a source of $$.  First there was the plan to charge hosts the full cost of relocating a guest who was unhappy with the property.  Now, there is this plan to charge hosts 25-50% of the total payout.  Does Airbnb believe that people will continue to list their properties here after getting charged hundreds or thousands of dollars for a necessary cancellation?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark116,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback.

The circumstances you've raised, the tree falling on the house and if the heat goes out, both qualify as situations beyond the Hosts' control that would absolutely allow for consequence-free cancellations with evidence of the need for emergency repairs.

I hope this clears things up, but if you need anything else, please drop me a line.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Jenny  There is a host who posts here, unfortunately I can't remember who, has said the exact thing:  a tree fell on her house and she was penalized by Airbnb.  Another host had to replace the oven and that host also says that she was penalized by Airbnb for a host cancellation.    

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Mark116   That was me, .. Tree fell on house, had to ask guests to leave and Airbnb reluctantly let the cancellation be penalty free but firmly told me that it was a Host Violation’ and a note would be made….. I felt like a chastised 5 year old!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mark116 @Kate867 

Hi both, 

Thank you again for your feedback. I appreciate you sharing some specific examples, and although we cannot comment on or assess individual cases here, I want to assure you we hear your concerns on the Community Support team and the way such cases are handled. 

Going forward, under this updated policy, ​​Hosts will have the opportunity to provide evidence when the Support team is investigating an issue. Should you disagree with the outcome of a claim you will be able to contact Community Support if a ticket has already closed or request supervisor escalation at any point. 

I also took your comments regarding Host violations notes back to the team and they will make sure we look into that aspect of the process more closely. 

Thanks, 

Jenny

-----

@Jenny 

Would you be kind enough to provide the link to clearly defined list of situations that qualify as situations beyond the Hosts' control so no "Ambassador" will be able unintentionally make mistake? (Well, I would presume that will only happen "intentionally" - right?)

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @David8879 

You can find more information on that here - and we have let the team know that you'd like more information.

Jenny

-----

Thank you @Jenny 

Everyone here really appreciates your hard and TBH - quite difficult work of being in between invisible and invinsible "inner AirBNB circle" and "US" - quite frustrated as of lately Hosts and possibly equally frustrated Guests.

THank yuo for all you do

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @David8879! That's really lovely of you.  Always happy to support and help wherever I can!

Jenny

-----

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Abb often does things for the sake of “improvement” but this policy should cause hosts to consider what they need to do to improve their business themselves (bc thinking ABB CS is a reliable arbiter of “reason” is laughable)

1. no IB. Vet guests yourself

2. limit how far forward you open your calendar

3. raise rates. Lessen the discount for longer stays

4. choose a serious guest cancellation policy and enforce it

5. diversify where your listing is offered

6. have serious & perfectly clear house rules about occupancy, maintenance & services provided

7. keep paper records with booked guest info so that you arent flying blind if you & abb part ways

@Kelly149  I agree with all of that, except for #1, we are already only getting 2-5 views a day since the new roll-out.  If we got rid of IB we would be invisible, like we were before. 

At one point, despite having been super hosts for many quarters, never having cancelled, great response time, and a 4.9 rating we were The Last Listing showing in the results. Dead last, last listing on the last page.  And that tells you everything Airbnb says about how to improve your ranking is a smoke screen, because we did all those things, always.  I haven't checked where we are in search results for some time, because I don't really care anymore and I am hoping to leave Airbnb in 2023 or at least as you recommend finally finally make the push to diversify.