Accept or decline a guest's requests

Accept or decline a guest's requests

1*What to do if a guest has made a request for stay, but during our conversation hasn't answer positive or negative if he/she wants the room?

2,*Also if i keep the request although he/she hasn't respond back positive or negative and the arrival day comes but the guest hasn't show up... And I haven't receive any money, airbnb airbnb will charge me something?

3* All the time of request since the day of arrival -if i haven't accept or decline the request- the room is closed for other guests?

20 Replies 20
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Kostis5  An 'inquiry' is NOT a booking!  A 'request to book' which you have not clicked 'accept' to is NOT a booking!

- DON'T assume the guest will turn up unless s/he actually books, - which will show as a booking on your calendar, and on your reservations page.

- If the guest shows up without having made a booking, you will not get paid, not a cent!

Helen350
Level 10

.... many guests make inquires of multiple hosts, and then you never hear from them again; they don't bother to tell you they've changed their mind, or are booking something else, elsewhere!

You are very clear friend. Thank you!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Kostis5,

If you receive a request to book, you have to respond within 24 hours with either an acceptance or decline, and the dates are blocked until you respond.  Please remember if you decline too often, that Airbnb will punish you for having a low acceptance rate.  If a guest just sends you an inquiry, you only need to respond within 24 hours, but you are not required to allow a guest to book or send them a special offer.

Very helpful! Thank you for the message friend!

@Debra300 Do you have any idea how often it's okay to decline a request without penalty? I've have a few declines lately, and I have some concern about how it could affect me on the algorithm/search. Are you penalized/put further down on the search for a certain amount of time (I've heard maybe a couple weeks at one point). 

@Debra300 I was meaning declining booking requests, not cancellations of bookings. I assume declining a request is different that cancellations. Was wondering what effect declines would have/what penalty - if anyone has noticed anything when they've declined some requests. I know cancellations are considered serious with penalties.

@Jennifer1351,

If you do a search on the conversations, you will read some hosts who have received warning messages indicating that they will be temporaryily de-listed, because of too many declines. 

@Debra300 Thanks so much, really good to know that about too many declines!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kostis5 To add to the above if its an enquiry then just answer it but you don't need to accept or decline. You are also given the option to hold the dates for an inquiry but this is nor recommended as it will stop others booking.

Hello friend. So you mean that if their is an enquiry and waits for my acception or decline, the dates are not blocked in the rooms calendar and are available for other guests also but if i accept then the dates block and the specific dates seems to be booked, wright?

Question...

If i accept this enquiry, does it mean that automatically airbnb has "blocked"/ took also guests money from his bank account for this accepted enquiry? or a guest may do an enquiry whithout providing payment?

Helen350
Level 10

@Kostis5 

1st paragraph - Correct! True!

Question: If you accept an enquiry the dates are NOT blocked (unless you click button to hold the dates) and NO money is taken because he HAS NOT YET BOOKED! - You are just giving him permission to book.

When you accept a 'Request to book' - THEN the booking goes through when you hit 'accept', and in this case the money is taken from the guest's account. - Because they made a booking.

Dear friend your message is clear. 

So about an enquiry it doesn't matter if i accept it but it depends from the guest if he/she finally make the booking....wright?

And even if i accept an enquiry, the dates for this enquiry still show available on the calendar for other guests since the specific guest deside to book, wright?