Check in instructions shortcut from messages.

Answered!

Check in instructions shortcut from messages.

Airbnb has an excellent check in feature with step by step description and picture. The problem is that feature is not used by all guests. 
I wish there was a shortcut from messages to send to arriving guests so they can click on it and it could guide them step by step. 

like they did for check out - but we need one for check in. 

1 Best Answer

Hi  All @Bettye6 , @Emma3331 , @Bhumika , 

The check-in instructions for guests can only be added via the app (not a desktop). You'll need to have your photos ready to go on your phone. Most guests don't see the instructions, as they are  under their "Trips" Tab, "Show More Trip Details".  To setup, go to App/Listing scroll towards the bottom; Checkin Instructions.

However, you actually can create a link to the checkin instructions (kinda a work-around) and send to them in a message. I can't take credit for figuring this one out 😊...saw it on YouTube. Here is how to setup the link:

https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/propertyID

Just add your property ID at the end (of course be sure you have it setup on the app 😊. Then paste the link in a message and it will take them right to your checkin instructions on the app (be sure to test it first 😃).

Let us know if it works for you!

Checkin Instructions.png

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Cristina--And-Cody-0 ,

That's an interesting suggestion! I will pass it along to our team. Meanwhile, you may also like to add your suggestion for the Airbnb team here via the Feedback Form.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi. I did take your suggestion as I had the very same question. 

There must be a glitch in their app as I was unable to locate on my laptop. When I tried to up date pictures for  the check in process the app would not need me download pictures from my album nor when I took a picture it kept coming out sideways. I figured out a work around but it should not be that hard. 

I can honestly say that almost all my guest, almost 30 thus far, never even saw the feature which I find quite valuable when I am traveling. 

Emma3331
Level 1
Scarborough, Australia

Did this receive an answer?

none of my guests can find the Check-In instructions which I spent a lot of time doing so it was concise.

the outcome of them not being able to find this and also me not being able to send in pdf format has resulted in poor reviews.

its seems like a no brainer link as everything else has a link.

thanks for raising! 

Hi  All @Bettye6 , @Emma3331 , @Bhumika , 

The check-in instructions for guests can only be added via the app (not a desktop). You'll need to have your photos ready to go on your phone. Most guests don't see the instructions, as they are  under their "Trips" Tab, "Show More Trip Details".  To setup, go to App/Listing scroll towards the bottom; Checkin Instructions.

However, you actually can create a link to the checkin instructions (kinda a work-around) and send to them in a message. I can't take credit for figuring this one out 😊...saw it on YouTube. Here is how to setup the link:

https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/propertyID

Just add your property ID at the end (of course be sure you have it setup on the app 😊. Then paste the link in a message and it will take them right to your checkin instructions on the app (be sure to test it first 😃).

Let us know if it works for you!

Checkin Instructions.png

Wow! This definitely helped!

thank you sooooo much!

one thing to note your listing ID is the king number after airbnb.com/rooms/12344455

Emre136
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Is it possible to have propertyID as a dynamic, so that the shortcut message works across different listings ?

Hi @Emre136 

If you are asking if you can use the method above using the property ID for different listings you can. Just change the property ID for the one you want in the URL string.

Update:

Used to be you could only add check-in photos/instructions on your phone. With the new Winter Software Release 2023, you can add it under Check-in Method on the Listing. However, for some strange reason, Airbnb is not showing the check-in photos to the guest side. Known bug. Sigh. The shortcut URL string does work still though.

Emre136
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Sorry I think you misunderstood,

I manage multiple listings, is it possible to have the listing ID dynamic.

ie if guest books listing A they receive instructions for listing A, and if they book B they receive for property B

@Emre136 Yes...and no. You would need to create a separate Scheduled Check-in Message for each listing and apply the specific listing ID shortcut to the message. You then attach that scheduled message to the specific listing when creating it.

Listing A - Check-in Scheduled Message

Listing B - Check-in Scheduled Message

The shortcut mentioned above was a workaround and is not something that Airbnb provides. It is not "dynamic" in that you have to assign the shortcut to a specific listing scheduled message. It will not automatically change.

Hope that makes sense? 

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Cristina--And-Cody-0 @Joan2709 @Bettye6 @Emma3331 
I have a standard document that I send via whatsapp
I also use whatsapp to give touristical info

Nicholas828
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I don't offer anything other than the Self-Check-in Instructions which all guests have access to. 

Under Check-In-Method I selected "other" I then have it say-Guests will be using the App Integrated Self-Check-In Instructions, contact Airbnb Support if you need help locating them. 

I found if I simply put my lockbox code guests used the code and never attempted to find the actual Self-Check-In Instructions. 

I am a very hands off host. I still maintain 5 stars with my direct approach of directing all guests to contact Airbnb Support if they can't navigate the platform. 

I can't spend time offering different ways for guests to receive information. By creating links, PDFs, emailing, sending messages pertaining to guests requests for check-in instructions Airbnb will never truly know how hard guests struggle to find instructions. 

I want my guests contacting Airbnb if they can't find instructions. That's how Apps get better.