Considering Hosting

Answered!
Dave1149
Level 2
Dartford, United Kingdom

Considering Hosting

Hi. My mother is likely to go into permanent care and i am considering renting her entire Bungalow on Air BNB to assist with the high care costs. I live opposite her Bungalow so I will be so i can be on call anytime.  It is a 3 bed bungalow in Dartford Kent. The closest train station is a 15 minute walk and then a 35 minute train ride and you are at Trafalgar square, London. Obviously my Mum would agree to all of this before i do anything, But i was just wondering if this would be a good idea or more trouble than it is worth. Thanks Dave

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dave1149  Only you can decide if it's a good idea or not. There's no reason why it wouldn't be as long as you have the time to deal with it. Keeping your calendar and pricing up to date, messaging with guests, cleaning and maintenance and dealing with any issues during a guest's stay may involve more time than you anticipate, so you need to be realistic about that so it isn't a stressful situation.

I'd assess whether it is set up be suitable for guests, or you would have to make adjustments, buy new furniture, repaint, etc. and what the costs would be. Your mom may have been hip and trendy with her decor and furnishings, or may have old, worn, dated-looking stuff and need a bit of an upgrade. 

That you live across the street is very much to your advantage, both in terms of convenience, and that it wards off the problem guests that a lot of hosts of "entire homes" have to deal with- partiers, sneaking in extra guests or pets, etc. Make it clear in the listing info that you live right across the street- guests with ill-intentions are not attracted to listings where they realize they can be easily monitored.

The 15 minute walk to the nearest public transport could be an issue for guests who aren't driving, but I assume there are taxis or Ubers available, and if your schedule allows for it, you could also offer a pick-up and drop-off service for an additional fee. 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dave1149  Only you can decide if it's a good idea or not. There's no reason why it wouldn't be as long as you have the time to deal with it. Keeping your calendar and pricing up to date, messaging with guests, cleaning and maintenance and dealing with any issues during a guest's stay may involve more time than you anticipate, so you need to be realistic about that so it isn't a stressful situation.

I'd assess whether it is set up be suitable for guests, or you would have to make adjustments, buy new furniture, repaint, etc. and what the costs would be. Your mom may have been hip and trendy with her decor and furnishings, or may have old, worn, dated-looking stuff and need a bit of an upgrade. 

That you live across the street is very much to your advantage, both in terms of convenience, and that it wards off the problem guests that a lot of hosts of "entire homes" have to deal with- partiers, sneaking in extra guests or pets, etc. Make it clear in the listing info that you live right across the street- guests with ill-intentions are not attracted to listings where they realize they can be easily monitored.

The 15 minute walk to the nearest public transport could be an issue for guests who aren't driving, but I assume there are taxis or Ubers available, and if your schedule allows for it, you could also offer a pick-up and drop-off service for an additional fee. 

Dave1149
Level 2
Dartford, United Kingdom

Thanks Sarah. I appreciate your comments. I had considered most of your points and I am thinking along similar lines.  Thanks again Dave