I don't like Airbnb’s rating system and wish they would either change it or for someone to make a good competitor for Airbnb

Aya2119
Level 2
Voorhees Township, NJ

I don't like Airbnb’s rating system and wish they would either change it or for someone to make a good competitor for Airbnb

I have been hosting with Airbnb since August 2020 and the entire process has not been pleasant. I have been a super host since April 2021 (I missed the January 2021 date bevause I didn’t meet the number of bookings requirements). I go above and beyond for all my guests. The condo is always extremely clean and well stocked and have been left welcome baskets and treats when I know there is a special occasion or when kids are coming. The majority of my guests have left me stellar reviews. Unfortunately the few that haven’t are pushing me to the brink of potentially losing my super host status. None of it is even based on anything. Some have done 4s all around just for the sake of doing it and literally have no complaints, others have given me 5s in all categories and 4 overall again with no complaints and stellar reviews. A couple have been valid (I put I had double beds when they are in fact singles (honest mistake but I get the issue)) while others complained about having to buy toilet paper after staying there for more than a week (I stock basic necessities even though my listing says I don’t provide essentials and I charge according to that). But in the end, I found the entire rating system sooo confusing for guests and so skewed to them. 

I just don’t get it. I guess Airbnb has nothing to lose because us Hosts continue to list our places on the platform but I really thing they entire thing needs to be revised. I am so frustrated with it and just wish and hope another platform garners some attention like Airbnb and we can all just switch. 

i guess this is nothing more than my venting but I really needed to. Haha

thank you if you are still reading. 

Tittle updated by OCM

21 Replies 21
Snehal1
Level 3
Vadodara, India

I agree the Review system is not Proper as I also lost the Super Host Status and One Guest wanted to Over stay till late Evening, and I did not allow it as I had next guest back to back and Needed 2 Hours for Cleaning and Satanizing.  He Brought down my Rating Drastically.   Also One Guest Reached Late Night and was Scared at all the lights inside the Home were off,  The light in Varanda was On and My Care taker helped him to Put on the lights.   But He Put the Rating to 1 as ALL Lights were Not One from 12 noon  till He checked in late night.

Paul685
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Have had similar experiences. We are on a small island in Canada's far west. At night it is darker than 10 feet (3+ meters) down a sooty chimney. I ask when they are coming, they usually respond and then show up at 10 PM and whine that it is cold and dark. It IS Canada, it gets cold and dark early. They live here, in a city and it seems to be a revelation they never expected. BUT..., of course it is no fault of theirs. Paul

Lisa6917
Level 2
Riggins, ID

My least favorite of them all is "location"!  Why is that even there?  We live where we live. YOU chose us. I live rurally and I'm very specific in my listing that I live 3.5 miles from town.  I have pictures.  Also, most people traveling to my town already know it's rural. So I get a guest who gives me a 4 star rating on location because HE passed my home. He claims he used GPS, which I know for a fact brings you right to our home.  Also, I send every guest directions to our property, with very helpful landmarks and such to guide them right here.  And ALSO, our listings show our locations on maps when they check out our descriptions, right?  I'm trying not to fixate on ratings because I know I do a great job and my guests are always pleased with how I run my ABB but it really is a silly thing to have that review.  What one person might consider a lousy location, another may love it.  A Host has no control over that. I think it needs to be removed.   Lisa

Aya2119
Level 2
Voorhees Township, NJ

exactly! haha And I have mine set up for them to see approximate location (before booking) and I still had some guests put a 4.  I also would highly dispute that because I think our location is great.  I let them know exactly what is around us and how far everything else is (beach, boardwalk, commercial boardwalk etc..). 

I have a listing in the central part of our capital city near a highway. One guest left me a 2 star for location due to someone got into his unlocked truck parked on the open driveway. I even have security cameras but he never even bothered mentioning the incident to me. I got a warning email from Airbnb about potentially grounding me for that! By that standard, every listing in San Francisco should be delisted. 

Ucrania0
Level 2
Miami, FL

I agree, you girls are on point 💯 %. 

Elizabeth2901
Level 2
Hot Springs, AR

Totally agree. I started this career because I love people, always loved working with the public- most days now I feel hate creep in. One of the nicest homes I have will get a random 4, and I know it’s invalidated 100%. So dang annoying!!!!