Shorts Stays Complaining about Cleaning fee

Chamaine0
Level 4
Shalimar, FL

Shorts Stays Complaining about Cleaning fee

Hello

I own a small elite cleaning Service and I co host for a few Super Host and Clean for others.  Here is the problem. Lately we have had reviews complaining about the cleaning fee. These are whole houses or condos some located on the beach. We have nothing but 5 stars for our cleanliness and the in the same review that one raves about how clean the home is they also complain about paying a fee. 

We are in a tourist area (Destin FL) and my fees are below that of local management companies. 

The complaints have mainly come from people on short stays who think they should pay less. Rather they are there 1 night or 10 the house doesn’t get any smaller the work still has to be done. Bedding has to be washed and changed in every room , towels and so forth. The furniture still has to be vacuumed as our beautiful sand gets everywhere. Every surface has to be cleaned , floors mopped. 

I’ m just be fuddled how someone can leave a hand written note for the cleaning staff about our attention to detail and how they have never stayed in a rental so clean then complain about the fee which was clearly listed at the time of booking.

Now with the new Supper Host requirements my owners are nervous over the 4 stars for Value Because of fees bringing down their standings. They have asked me to come up with something to include in their listings but I’m unsure if this is what to do. Any Ideas ?

97 Replies 97

I might have been wrong to call out the cleaning costs in particular, I was just looking for a place to vent some anger...

I would actually say the service fee is simply too high.  In the US, a 2-night stay for $270 seems acceptable, a little high for sure, but acceptable.  I can stay at a nice hotel across the street for $107 a night and no cleaning fees.  But I like a condo...

But when Airbnb adds the cleaning fee and the service fee for those 2 nights - I am up to $439!  For 2 nights!

I'm sure you can see that is quite a jump and it's very hard for someone to accept those fees, especially when there is that nice hotel across the street for half the price.  I would be staying at an Airbnb, but the fees are too high.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Long-time host and guest, I don't like the cleaning fees.  As a guest, it discourages me to rent a home for a day. Not just the cost but also the principle. Hotels don't charge this fee so why should Airbnb's. I also don't like the "living wage" pledge. A living wage is a fabricating number.

@Juan63 Where I come from people are paid so they can provide for themselves and there family. You should just pick a place with no cleaning fees if that is important to you. 

Price control never works Sandra. The market should always dictate wages. And I do pick whats important to me, that's how the market works. Charging a high cleaning fee may/will lower you occupancy creating less work for the cleaners. Having a "good person" check box is bit disingenuous.

@Juan63 We don't have fixed minimum wages in Denmark. The market is completely free. But companies pay so people can live and provide for there families. 

I'm referring to the living wage Sandra. But I won't go into your country's extremely high taxes either.

@Tony1016 The taxes goes to free education and if you get sick you don't have to think about going bankrupt - in the long run we get a very highly educated country and people like paying their taxes :-). I know that it can seem strange for other countries but people don't mind paying taxes. 

I never mentioned taxes, my comment was about the fees...

@Tony1016 I tagged you instead of @Juan63 sorry about that 🙂 

It's ok, if you think it's to be controlled by your government.

@Juan63 Controlled by the government? I'm not sure I understand? Denmark is a completely free country. We pay taxes so everyone can educate themselves, and like most countries in Europe people can go to the hospital if they get sick for free. Is that being controlled by the government?

No one controls the press. I hardly think you can find countries more civilized than Northen Europe. You won't find any corruption here. Please look for your facts other places than fox news etc. Maybe educate yourself a bit. 

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/standard-of-living-by-country/

I want to ad that if the people of Denmark didn't wanted to pay high taxes we could just elect other political parties. We have elections every 4 years and people continue to elect those political parties who wants a welfare society were education and medical care is paid through taxes not through private insurance like in the US.

If you as a person wants to make your own political parti you just need to collect I think it is 20.000 signatures from Danes and you are a part of the next election. It is very transparent.

Is that possible in the free USA? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Juan63  Countries with high taxes have them because those taxes go to pay for a better quality of living for all its citizens. Good roads, good and affordable healthcare, good schools that aren't overcrowded, etc. Those things need to be paid for. In Canada, I can go to a doctor or the hospital, receive good care, and not pay a penny if I am below a certain income level. Societies where people are paid a living wage are far healthier and happier. 

That’s bogus Sarah, give me your data on your “far healthier” lie. It’s not true, and far happier is also fake. Happiness cannot be measured because everyone’s view on what makes them happy is completely different. There is also a reason why Canadians come to America for procedures. No doubt the American healthcare system sucks but “free” healthcare is not the answer either.

@Juan63  I was talking about a healthy society in terms of people having access to social services if needed, and a good infrastructure, not physical health. 

There have been 369 mass shooting incidents in the US this year, as of Nov. 17. That's the number of incidents, not the number of deaths. More than a mass shooting per day. No other country has those kind of stats. Think it's a healthy society? When a country doesn't provide adequate mental health services and virtually anyone can get a gun, that sets the stage for this kind of terrorism.

And you seem unaware of how many Americans move to Canada when they retire because of the healthcare system there.

And yes, they do "happiness" studies comparing which countries rank high when citizens are asked if they consider their lives to be basically happy. It isn't "fake".