Smart pricing. yes or no ?

Veronique545
Level 2
Maleny, Australia

Smart pricing. yes or no ?

I have recently listed my place and am trialling smart pricing. I am confused as when I look at Christmas new years prices (which should be the highest) it is automatically set on the lowest fee ? I thought smart pricing automatically set your prices higher in high season and lower when demand is low in your area ? Thanks fir the advice and experience you have had . Have as nice weekend. Cheers Veronique Australia 

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Veronique545  IMO smart pricing should be called dumb bottom rate pricing.  The algorithm does not seem to understand seasons, holidays or any other reason for increased pricing.  Rather it appears to me to look at rentals in your area, and if you are not currently rented, will reduce your rate in order to obtain a rental -- not necessarily the result that most hosts would want.

If you do choose to go with "smart pricing", select the weeks that you know are prime weeks for your area and enter a price that is acceptable to you for those weeks.  Then you can play the pricing game with the rest of your calendar.  Realize that smart pricing has no idea what goes on in your area; especially if you are near sports venues with play-offs, music venues with big name concerts, colleges with parent weekends or graduations, etc.  

Thank youuuu