The most common STR money-back guest hustles today...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The most common STR money-back guest hustles today...

This year we have observed that guests, even those coming to higher-price listings (like ours), have become more creative and feel more entitled (and unashamed) to grovel for money back using an interesting array of reasons. Unlike the past (pre-Covid) we rarely encountered this new phenomenon before (maybe once a year), but this year (2022) we have encounter it a few times, and perhaps the easiness in which guests were allowed to cancel during the 'Covid Years' without penalty is at the root of the 'problem'. Given Airbnb has been traditionally so hysterical to placate to the guest over hosts, maybe it has facilitated the hustling.

The 'We lost time staying at your place for reasons beyond our control'  hustle: We now get guests that because of weather (or their incompetence) show up a day late and feel entitled to want a refund for the missed day (or two) because was 'beyond their control'. Really? Whatever happen to Travel Insurance? The fact a flight is delayed or cancelled, especially during winter when one is coming from 'the Artic circle' like north of the Mason-Dixon line of the U.S. for example, it is bound to happen. How has that now become the host's problem?

The 'I didn't think that children need to be included in the reservation' hustle. This year this one has been a true classic, so much so we have had guests right out ask us to explain to them why their 'children' (even late teens) should be paying what adults do. We point out that when they flew down to us, did the airlines allowed them to fly for free? In our experience a case can be made that kids should be paying more than adults, since they can be a terror on resources and wear and tear.

The 'Stay the entire length of the booking (quietly) and then claim it wasn't what they expected' passive-aggressive hustle. This one is a doozy. If they were so unhappy why didn't they leave, it is not like they can't find another place to stay at a time when it appears the supply of STRs far outstrips demand in most areas. We now take the approach, when we detect the 'home inspector' type of guest because of their self-importance air about them, to explicit tell them "If this is not for you" let us know immediately, we will refund your remaining days and let's part 'friends', no need to even get into opinions why. No takers yet, but we are ready.

The 'Carbon monoxide / mold / cockroach standard'  hustle. This one is probably the most common since it is hard to proof. And dangerous since a listing can be shut down with little recourse. Of course, we have monitors everywhere in our place to prevent this hustle, but every time I read this complaint in one of the posts here my eyes and attitude take on this look >

slap4.jpg

The 'Legal Eagle type of traveler' . I am enclosing this because it is amusing, at least to us where we live (Belize). It is amazing to me how many travelers, especially coming from a nowadays too-socially-charged-up country, think that the rest of the world must follow with all their complex rights, entitlements and expectations of back home. Well, not exactly.

I could think of quite a few others, but this small list should get you all to think of hustles you are encountering nowadays. The question remains, have hustles now become more frequent and more inventive than in the past, pre Covid vs. post-Covid?

23 Replies 23
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Fred13 How right you are - the entitled attitudes, the scamming, the discount demanding and the strong group of people that are users, abusers and think that they are above everything - I am disheartened by the post I read in every group, sections of news and everywhere you look that people, and a huge amount from my homeland here in the USA have truly earned their title ** Americans. The trickery and lying to get refunds, discounts and more has gotten to heights I can't even believe. 

As I shake my head - "what's happened to people"? Seems politics has seeped into every part of our lives and world and this new method is being pushed. JUST repeat the lie enough and soon its truth. Oh my gosh. Makes me wanna pack up and move back to Germany - I lived there almost 10 yrs while I was touring and life was way easier than presently. 

I hope Hosts will work to shut down the scammers and make it known - many are choosing to let it go and I am convinced that just keeps the scams going and actually pushes them to do more.

I've been fortunate but much more cautious these days because I know anyone can be hit on.

May we all have grace & strength in all our business dealing.

Sounds like each of us will need this and more in the coming months, years ahead.

All the best Fred and blessings,

Clara

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Fred13 

Thanks for sharing. I agree on everything!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Fred13 

I know lots of host dont like BDC but one of things I do like, You have no chance of getting a refund out of them, Nobody ever answers CS,

We have guest at the moment and the electric went off at 9 am til 3 pm I informed them the day before they were great about it, 

We have had some good guest recently makes the job worth doing, 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Since the last 'ogre' over a month ago we have had a good string of fabulous guests (all Airbnb) and even the 'slick artist' who used the excuse of having to 'rush to wait' at our local-yokel airport finally paid her bill, so our faith on the human race has taken a most encouraging turn. But goodness, what a wide spectrum of unpredictable human behavior are we living with nowadays.  So.....              

Jack Nicolson.jpg

THe bigger hustle is for hosts is to refuse refunds.  I most likely will never use airbnb again

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chona10 

Well, that depends entirely on why you wanted a refund...

If the listing was as described, but your plans changed, the host is under no obligation to provide you with any refund outside of the cancellation policy that you signed up to. That is not a hustle. That is just sticking to a contract that both parties agreed to.

If the listing was significantly different, or there was a major amenity missing or something like that, well, then you can apply to Airbnb for a refund as per their Aircover policy. You just have to do it in a timely manner, show that you reached out to the host first to ask them to resolve the issue, and prove some sort of evidence.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

for sure, my faves are the ones from the 'smiling hustler' , starts off wanting tp pay off Airbnb , because some person , **bleep** smith , or some 'good guy , has pointed out as have trivago that its cheaper for everyone to pay off platform . then you say well no because we have little or no protection from insurance etcetera and we are trying to 'run our own business'. thats fine . then at the last day they put in a request ,verbal , to extend , you send through the variation with extra cost which they say they accepted, but they didnt , then they say they have 'a sick relative 'and must leave so can we cancel the extra days and send a refund , after a quick calculation ,you send a refund and they complain that they have been over charged. To cut a long story short, they are off with your refund for a couple of days stay in their pocket and if they do not communicate with you they will be able to tell any old story and get away with it. now you see me . Now you see me Now you  dont . (9 times out of ten you dont know until its too late   H

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

My response to the first hustle is to let them know that we had reserved the listing for them and had actively rejected other prospective guests from staying at the listing during that time. In other words, we're not able to give any refund for nights not stayed because we missed the opportunity to host someone else as a result. The burden is placed back on them.

I should point out that most of our guests are absolutely amazing. Love Airbnb!