Tip of the week 1: The key to good communication

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tip of the week 1: The key to good communication

Let's kick off the Tip of the Week series with an important topic: Communication with guests. It's a valuable insight that can greatly help many first-time Hosts on their journey to becoming exceptional Hosts. Effective communication is key, and we're here to provide all the practical tips you need!

The following tip was shared by Superhost @Tuğkan-Berke0  in Easy Tips for Providing Exceptional Hospitality:

"Communicate Clearly and Promptly: Good communication is key to being a great Airbnb host. Respond to guest inquiries and messages promptly and clearly. Provide guests with all the information they need to make their stay as smooth as possible ". 

On this thread, we invite you to share your valuable tips on ensuring seamless communication with your guests.

Tell us your secrets to making guests feel that communication with you is smooth, how you make your guests feel at ease knowing that you’re readily available for any concerns., what information is important to share with them, do you do this before the stay or during the stay, do you send regular check-in messages? 

We’re excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best practices for communicating clearly and promptly with our guests and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

45 Replies 45
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Bina-and-Jonathan0! Are you currently using it? 🙂

-----

what app do you use to send the automated message? hostfully, hospitable, or guesty?

Hi! I am using hospitable now for our listings. It's working really well!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's very helpful @Erin6821! How has this been working for you so far? 🙂

-----

Thank you, Quincy! It’s been working well so far! 😎

Hi @Erin6821 ,

Just a word of caution about automated messages. I was sending out an automated message after confirmation of booking, though it did not hurt my ratings it was (jokingly) brought up by a repeat customer that they thought the message was directly heartfelt from me and their feeling were slighted a tad. I now send a very personal direct message to each confirmed booking.

Going forward I only use 2 automated messages, one just before check in with all the needed information and the evening before they check out. As someone had previously stated I encourage them to let me know if they leave early so that cleaning may commence. I only send them a message that they can check in early if they did not already state what time they were coming. 

Just my thought on AM.

Bettye

Hi @Bettye6 ! I appreciate your ideas and thoughts for sure! I do strive to keep things as authentic and real as possible! I was just playing some some of the automatic messages and will see how I can adjust/adapt. Thanks again!!

Erin

Jean7388
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

First of all, it is most important to communicate properly with guests  before they arrive, I find, finding out exactly what they need from their stay with me and, I in turn, expect them to ask me any questions before making a firm booking.  This helps to dispel any misunderstandings when they arrive.

As I provide breakfast and even the odd evening meal with me if they so desire, I like to know of any food allergies or intolerances beforehand.  This helps for a relaxed stay.  Also, I like to know if they want to use my kitchen to do their own cooking, of course.  In this respect, I have had lovely Chinese, Japanese and Turkish meals cooked for me.

It is also important that they know about all the transport links to various places they have to visit whilst with me, although I have been known to give them lifts in my car to local stations.

Living alone, as a senior Widow, I have to be very circumspect as to whom I have in my house, so the more information I can glean about their background before they book, the better.. I also expect them to ask me about anything they are not sure about also, as it saves a lot of confusion later on.

But, once here, I try to make their stay as comfortable and relaxing as can be and always ask them to point out any problems they may have so that I can sort them out there and then.  

I like also to take my guests (single females ) out in the car to local beauty spots which they would not normally know about.  To date, I have taken them to Hampstead, St. Albans and other interesting places. This gets us both out of the house, especially, if they are around the house during the daytime either studying or working on their laptops.  I know this is not part of the deal, but, I enjoy doing this as part of the whole airbnb experience.

Yes, being an Airbnb host is not just about making money for me, but, about meeting other cultures from around the world, and I have already made two Videos for Airbnb in this respect.  My motto is "If I cannot travel the world then the world can come to me."  

At the moment, am hosting a lovely Turkish girl, so am experiencing many "Turkish delights" from her, and I in turn am helping her with her English studies, helped by a visit to a famous historic pub in Hampstead.

But, a final warning to other potential hosts!  One must be very flexible and patient in this "game."

So long live Airbnb Hosting!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Jean7388,  thank you so much for the detailed reply! I 

I absolutely love your motto "If I cannot travel the world then the world can come to me"— it beautifully captures your passion!

Just curious, is there any way we can see the videos that you took? 👀 

-----

Jean7388
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Quincy,

See my personal email to you with photos of me and my present Turkish guest.  Also, explaining the two videos which were taken by Airbnb and not me.

Hope you got them, but, if not, let me know.

Cheers, Jean.

Hi @Jean7388 

Thank you so much for sharing your story and videos> Being a new host, your story is inspiring, helpful and yes I would love to ask if you would share your 2 videos.

Your advice is very helpful and you are a beautiful person.

Hi @Jean7388 

Oh one more question, what does it mean by Level 2?

I was going to ask you what Level 2 means as it is new to me.

Hi Elizabeth,  As Airbnb did the videos;  one at my house and the other one at their Islington offices, I cannot help you with that.  I do take pics. of my guests at my house, however, and also when I take them out in the car to places like Hampstead and St. Albans, but, not sure if it would be good protocol to send photos of my guests without their permission.

Regards,

Jean.

Pamela1265
Level 2
Fresno, CA

I send guests a thank you message after booking. I also send out directions and lock code a few days prior to arrival. I am hosting from afar, so I am only on site a few times a year. Hence, I depend on my cleaning crew immensely to be my eyes and ears on the ground!  I give my personal phone number and ask the guests to let me know when they arrive. I also let them know they can check in early, as soon as my cleaning crew is finished. I always ask my guests to let me know if they have any issues or questions, and I try not to bug them. A day before check out, I give them a short list of directions for check out and ask them to let me know when they leave. (which is about 50/50)