Unreasonable Tasks for Guests

Answered!
Laura1354
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

Unreasonable Tasks for Guests

Hi! I know Airbnb was going to implement new guidelines for check-out procedures for guests. You cannot ask guests  to do "unreasonable" tasks. Is there a clear list of what can and can't be expected of guests upon check-out? Was there a date for the implementation of these guidelines? I haven't been able to find anything since it was announced in November. Thanks for any help!

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura1354 

In answer to your question, this is what Airbnb stated in their article:

"We understand that it takes a lot to get your place ready for your next guests. It’s reasonable to ask guests to do simple things at checkout, such as turning off lights, throwing food in the rubbish bin and locking doors and windows.

We’re also hearing from guests that they don’t want to do unreasonable chores, such as stripping the beds, doing laundry and vacuuming.

In the coming months, we’ll be working with you to make checkout more transparent to guests. Guests will be able to review your checkout instructions prior to booking – similar to house rules – and also leave feedback on the checkout experience."

I have myself highlighted some points in bold. Of course, this is far from a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea. Guests, especially those paying a cleaning fee, are not appreciative of having to strip beds, do laundry or any kind of substantial cleaning like vacuuming. Personally, I have never asked any of my guests to do this things. However, many guests have asked me if they should strip the beds. 

I think it's a mistake to ask guests to do this. How much time does it actually save you/cost you to have them strip the beds if they are not doing the laundry? What are you even gaining by this. I, and many other hosts, would point out that it's easier to spot stains etc. if you or your cleaner strip them yourselves. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

PS I would never tell a guest to leave the place as they found it. No guest is going to do that anyway, but asking them might make them resentful if there is also a cleaning fee because it will make them question what that fee is actually for. Guests will never really understand how much cleaning and prep goes into it unless they have been hosts themselves.

Cathy899
Level 10
Florence, OR

Re: Guests will be able to review your checkout instructions.... We send checkout instructions via a scheduled message, the night before checkout.  I can't seem to locate a setting on our listing that shows checkout instructions so will this be a new "feature"/section that hosts will need to complete, once it's implemented?

I see Arrival Details in setting and we have info in there, but will there be a new section added I.e. "departure details"?

Patti120
Level 5
California, United States

@Laura1354  I ask  the guests enjoy their stay. At check out: please put the used towels in the tub, remove their trash and text me when they are on their way. It is super simple for them. They do not need to do  dishes, strip beds, etc. In addition I make sure they know my home is their home and they do not have to replace anything that is used (the home is fully stocked with everything they need for a vacation except their food). I try to keep everything as welcoming as possible. The guests have been for the most part, wonderful. They make being an Airbnb Host fun!