Verification frustration

Answered!
Tracy1
Level 5
Bracebridge, Canada

Verification frustration

I attempted to complete my ID verification today, but could not finish the last step.

After submitting my driver licence photos, I tried to link my facebook account (I do not use gmail or linkedin), but when directed to the facebook page, I unchecked a few of the options (what airbnb can access) such as friends list. It only said that it required your public profile, which you can't uncheck anyway.

When I was redirected back to airbnb, I had a message saying "We're really sorry. There wasn't enough activity on your account for verification". ?? Anyone know why? I now can't go back to retry (and not uncheck any of those options), as it just keeps giving me that message. I tried logging out, then logging in with facebook, but I think it just logs me in with my saved password from the email login I signed up with.

It seems I am now stuck - I can't get verified?

1 Best Answer
Paula276
Level 2
Odessa, TX

I went to a different computer logged onto Airbnb and Facebook it let me finish the process with no problems.

View Best Answer in original post

257 Replies 257
John879
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Ive tried to upload my government ID throughout most of today. Despite using Airbnb for well over 5years and often doing long term stays of 1+ months I am now stopped in my tracks trying to book a week long stay in Portugal next week.  Airbnb is now telling me my government ID is not supported? How is it I can use it at airports, borders, goverment buildings etc but cant at Airbnb?!? Whats more is after reading the small print at Jumio (company Airbnb outsources its government ID verification) and see that Jumio can use my ID for any purpose they see fit (in addition to Airbnb)! Thats all the info I needed. Im no longer using Airbnb and switching to one of its competitors. NOT COOL AIRBNB!!

Same here!!!!! Why will it not allow me to upload a photo. I don't want to use Facebook! This is stupid!!!

I don't know why people would be willing to upload their IDs to Airbnb when its partner Jumio would have rights to distribute your identity information.

Even when my host agrees to pre-approve me without ID verification Airbnb still makes me provide one. The hassle of using Airbnb is now outweighing its convenience. 

I will stop using Airbnb soon because of the ID verification step. It's just asking too much. 

Anne551
Level 1
Sydney, Canada

I'm not sure where to go with my issue.  I am trying to get verified for a reservation and while going through the verification process, I'm told that a text message has been sent to me.  I have not received any text and don't know how to proceed from here.   The other options for verification have not worked for me neither.

Susan624
Level 1
Princeton, MA

I've just made my last booking with AirBnb. What a royal pain in the ass. If we weren;t so late and it wasn;t so hard to find somewhere for where we are going I would be done with this site now. I understand the need to verify but this is just insane. And to say somoene now has freedom to distribute my license info really pisses me off.

Keiko12
Level 1
Vienna, Austria

I also bumped into a very frustrating loop of verification nightmare. I understand that Airbnb recently partnered up with jumio. 

But the verification process got really in a mess. I got more than several "There was a problem with the photo of your ID" error notification sent to my registered email address. Then I would try again & again (earlier with different browsers, and later with an android phone from airbnb app following the link in the error notification email) - which mostly ended up something like "Great! The process was complete!" but shortly after, I get the same error message. My booking request (for which, I also made the payment already, waiting to be confirmed) shows 'need to verify ID'!

Will you please get me book the reservation?!? The app is so hard to take a photo as my passport has plastic coating (placed by the government) that reflects lights badly. The selfie app also seems to have problems detecting my face(!)

Please help me to complete this booking asap (actually within the next 12hrs!)

Jed6
Level 1
Pasadena, CA

In Airbnb, I have offered my silly looking drivers license, and it has been rejected. I am offering a clear photo view, and I get nothing.

So much for technology. 

Danie1
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

New to airBnB and with the few requests we had already 3 accounts with ID Varification issues. 

Spent many hours, 10+ trying to resolve it for the guests.

Now i am finished.

They wont allow me to remove that requirement from the profile, eventhough you can select the options to disable it that functionality just dont work and AirBnB just cant be bothered.

Alan158
Level 2
Surbiton, United Kingdom

Booked a nice place in Italy yesterday, had to then go though the ID verificaiton process (not a new user, but never had to do the ID thing before).

I too have gone around and around in a loop, uploading progressively higher resolutiuon pictures of my passport.  

I do this 5 times.  Same problem every time.

I then contact Airbnb support, support respond with "please do this...".  Lo and behold, it turns out "do this" is actually : do the exact same thing you have already done 5 times.

I go through the process again.

Same result.

Then I got this email "...Because we couldn’t confirm your profile, your reservation for ... was cancelled."

Closely followed by "A refund ... has been issued to your credit card ... While this refund is immediate on our part, it can take up to 15 business days for the funds to reach your account."

So AirBnb's verification process fails abyssmally, I lose my booking and on top of it all I have to wait up to 15 days for the funds to be returned to me.

Nice one AirBnb ... what a result !!!

(Airbnb : FYI, that last comment is laden with sarcasm: get your act together).

Nicholas90
Level 1
Hope Island, Australia

I'd like to know why I keep getting messages to verifiy that I am the actual person logging on because the Airbnb system seems to think I might be someone else using a different computer and location - in fact, I'm using exactly the same computer at exactly the same location that I started with - NOT the range of locations suggested by some automatic system which fails to recognise that nothing has changed!

Sarah818
Level 2
Waterloo, Canada

I have verified pretty much all of my personal information (FB, Linkedin, google), which quite frankly, scares the crap out of me... after all that, my ID has still NOT been verified (it has been a few months now...), with absolute no reason as to why, and no notification from AirBnB. I had no issues in the uploading my ID process, it seemed like it went through fine. I have no option to fix it or anything. I have had a couple of rejections to book places, and am starting to think this is the reason why... Has anyone else had this issue? If you have, and have resolved it, please share how. Pretty frustrated/scared for my privacy safety....

Patricia724
Level 2
Crossville, TN

I have been trying to make a reservation for 2 hours now..
I got my ID verified earlier, and made one reservation with no problem.
Now, though.....they want to verify a picture of me...and I get booted over to where they want me to take a picture with my "device" or computer.. I don't have a "device", and my computer is a 7 year old desktop with no camera..
I don't use a "smart" phone or any such thing..i am happy with my 10 year old flip phone....so, i cannot download their "app".

Never had this trouble before.

I finally did get a phone number for them, and talked to them...got nowhere...all they suggested was to get a "friend" to take a picture on their phone.. No, first off..I don't have friends that have those kind of phones, I am old school and technology averse....and my two friends...we love our flip phones and real computers..
Also, I do not use Facebook or Gmail.
Second, I don't want to use a random person's phone to log on (which means they will then have my log in info on their phone).. I know this sounds weird to you, but..not everyone wants the latest and newest tech devices...
They suggested the library...those computers don't have cameras either...and anyway, they are closed until Tuesday.
I made a reservation earlier today for a different location, it went through just fine...

I am trying to verify my Lycamobile number in Switzerland but it gives me error You need to use different number.  Is Lycamobile not supported on Airbnb

My first booking with Airbnb went excellent. The second time I tried to rent a flat I was redirectet to verify my credit card. The instant method for this was not working, no matter that Airbnb insure clients that verification can be done within seconds. So I uploaded my statement of my bank account and received a mail that I will able to book again within 24 hours. 3 days after this I am still waiting, the flat is no more available for my reservation dates and Airbnb supported team totally forgot  me no matter that they promise to support my situation and told me that it will be ok and I am not going to do anything else for my booking.

Antonio455
Level 2
South Burlington, VT

I uploaded the airbb app in a new phone. It asks me to verify myself but I just get a blank pageIMG_5554.png.