bedbugs

Jai1
Level 2
D.C., DC

bedbugs

What happens when you get bedbugs from staying at a home?  What is the process to take to be compensated and move to another property?

26 Replies 26
Sabine42
Level 10
Tucson, AZ

you contact Airbnb and have them refund you for your stay, they can also help you find another place to stay. if you're certain that you 'contracted' bedbugs from this particular place, inform the host (i assume you did) so they can take the necessary steps to deal with it. bedbugs are a hosts worst nightmare, i wouldn't necessarily write a devastating review unless the place was dirty and uncared for all around. 

BUT: the problem is that you'll be taking them with you unless you take the necessary steps to make sure you're not infesting somebody elses place. This is a tricky one, enter 'bedbugs' in the search box, there are lots of recommendations as to how to get rid of them. 

+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free) or @Airbnbhelp

good luck!

Thanks.  I'm on with Airbnb now.  I couldn't find any info on what to do to recoup costs and a new location.

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

@Jai1 take pictures of the critters ~

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

How is it possible to "contract" bed bugs? How do they even get in a home? 

How to prevent getting bed bugs in my own home? (I host on Airbnb)

Wherever you go, there you are.

I have the same problem in my air b&b room. Doing this already 4 years and since january I found the bug. Took the action ! The Rentokill company came over for 4 sessions in the months of jan feb march. 

The problem is that I had some guest reservations on my calendar. I let it go on and now, it is May.

The infection with bed bugs is again began. 

Rentokill came for the second treatmant, again 3 sessions of desinfecting the room.

The 'problem' costed me so far 820 €

this is much more than the renting has gave me.

I think I have to stop ....

Anybody has any suggestions or tips ? 

@Chris497 

Bag and burn everything in the room, everything has to go you've obviously got a infestation.

Apparently, treating bed bugs once doesn’t necessarily make them go away. I just almost stayed in a place with a HUGE bed bug infestation. A guest was hysterical and from another country and had no one to help her initially. I walked in unfortunately with my pet carriers to see bugs everywhere. I looked up bed bugs and these were apple seed size and certainly bed bugs. She showed me her stomach and trunk covered in bites. The host eventually admitted to having treated the place once for bed bugs recently but obviously, it doesn’t work. In any case, after what I just saw, I wouldn’t want to use AirBNB again as a guest. What a gross nightmare. 

There is actually something you can do.  There is a new technology that was rolled out to hotels last year and made available to consumers/hosts just last week.  The technology helps solve the problem with bed bugs.

You can learn more about it (video) and get pricing and order here:

And more info on the company here:

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]

Damir:

Bedbugs travel on people's clothes and can be in their luggage. Some of your tenants can bring them to you, and some can take a few away to their own homes from staying at your place after that. As a host, what you need to do is check often like I am sure the big hotels do. Generally in colder climates, they are less of a problem, but someone can come from a warmer climate with some in their belongings, and they can spread.

actually the bug is more frequent in The United States and Canada. In warmer climates they don't survive and spread as much.

ew!!! did you take pictures? post them!

[link removed]

Liz-and-Earl0
Level 1
Westlake Village, CA

We just read the review of the last guest for a place we are renting starting tomorrow night.  The guest reported bed bugs.  How do we ensure that there are not bed bugs.  This host has a strict cancellation policy, but I don't want to expose my family if the situation has not been properly remediated.  Can we get relocated or refunded now?

Nafisa1
Level 1
Washington, DC

What ended up happening? How did you contact air bnb? 

The sanest way to manage bed bugs as a Host is to convince yourself that you have them.

Bed bugs are epidemic in many North American cities. You can pick them up just about anywhere there is tufted furniture, carpet, and/or people: doctor's offices, at a concert or restaurant, etc. Your kid can pick them up at school.  And your guests may accidentally bring them in on their luggage. You may never know for sure, because it can take an egg 6-8 weeks to reach adulthood. It's possible that the Guest who finds them may have, in fact, brought them with them. And it's hell on earth getting rid of them - at least, for now.

Until technology catches up, the best method is the defensive one.

The best method of eradication is by a professional. The most effective, non toxic professional method is superheating your home. This will not only kill bed bugs and their eggs, but also flies, silverfish, etc. and even mice. Depending on how many people are in your home, you may need to do this as a preventative measure a couple of times a year. 

To reduce the incidence:

Mattresses and pillows should have authentic bedbug proof covers.

Steel framed beds are an advantage over wooden ones.

Keep all rooms free of clutter. The more that's stored, the harder it is for them to get to.

All linens, towels, bedding, curtains, etc. should be machine washed on hot and machine dried on hot for at least 30 minutes. Where possible, use bleach or unbleachables bleach.

Store linens separately and in plastic when not in use.  

Remove any extraneous plush toys, padded furnishings, and carpets.

Caulk loose windows, and where floor meets wall. 

Steaming furniture and walls is also said to be effective.

Do all of the above, and then spray with an accredited bed bug spray* in each room with every changeout. I also wash floors with a strong bleach or alcohol formula then.

*I found that the local professional cleaning supply house offers the most up to date preparations.

This is by no means a complete list, and it's not a guarantee. But it will go a long way to offsetting them.

Set water or adhesive traps under bed posts and check regularly to monitor for bed bugs.