security deposit

Answered!

security deposit

Hi there, this is Sandra from Utah.  I co-host with my friends who used to be Superhosts a few years ago.  She mentioned that security deposits were allowed then, how do I add that feature to the new listing?  It's January 2024 btw.  Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Best Answer

Hi @Sandra6442 

Unfortunately, Airbnb no longer allows Hosts to charge a security deposit (unless you use a 3rd party channel manager):

Security Deposits

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140

"Hosts aren’t allowed to charge guests a security deposit through our Resolution Center or outside the Airbnb platform. Instead, we inform guests at the time of booking that their payment method may be charged if they cause damage during a stay. There is one exception: Hosts who manage their listings with API-connected software can set a security deposit using our offline fees feature. If a Host has done this, the deposit requirements will be clearly communicated during the booking process."

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi @Sandra6442 

Unfortunately, Airbnb no longer allows Hosts to charge a security deposit (unless you use a 3rd party channel manager):

Security Deposits

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140

"Hosts aren’t allowed to charge guests a security deposit through our Resolution Center or outside the Airbnb platform. Instead, we inform guests at the time of booking that their payment method may be charged if they cause damage during a stay. There is one exception: Hosts who manage their listings with API-connected software can set a security deposit using our offline fees feature. If a Host has done this, the deposit requirements will be clearly communicated during the booking process."

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

You are allowed to have a deposit, you are just not allowed to collect it directly. We can debate if that deposit is worth anything, because you do not have direct access to it but that is a whole other topic

Hi @Inna22 

How would you be able to have a security deposit on Airnb? (unless using a channel manager). I know other platforms allow it (Vrbo), but Airbnb doesn't according to their TOS. That would be great news for alot of Hosts if they could charge a security deposit?

@Joan2709 you can not charge a deposit yourself. However, you can set it. Once you set a deposit, you can proceed with a claim through airbnb. While it is not worth a whole lot, it does stop some people from causing damage. Just one of many steps. At the end of the day, the only thing that works is asking for IDs for everyone staying at the property. Once I started doing that, the condition of the house after guest groups improved to another level.

Thanks @Inna22! So, you set a deposit, but still have to go thru a resolution with Airbnb to be paid. I didn't know that! How do you set a deposit on the listing?

I think you are on the right track with the IDs for sure! 

Hi @Inna22 , how do you ask for their ID's? Just in the chat? Do you word it in a special way to get them to comply? Thanks for your help!

@Sande297 

it is in my description, house rules and in a welcome message immediately upon booking. I offer to upload them through the chat or to show in person. I hope this helps

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Sandra6442

Did any of the answers below help to answer your question? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you. 😊

If you need any help, just shout.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines