Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596
Stewart78
Level 1
Vashon, WA

I'm in the Seattle area.  All but one of my reservations cancelled due to the virus.  My cancellation policy is "strict," so they are only entitled to a 50 % refund.   But Airbnb is telling them it's 100%.  When I get the cancellation notice, Airbnb requests that I refund the 50% due to the virus.  I don't understand, contractually, how Airbnb can change the terms of cancellation clauses.  I've written them twice, and days later have received no answer.   I've told my guests to contact Airbnb directly; one spent three hours on hold only to receive a "ticket" noting the claim. Airbnb should have its own insurance to cover these losses.  I, for one, am going to remove the house from Airbnb is they don't step forward and reimburse guests 100%.   I can't afford to lose thousands of dollars.  My bank is not going to waive my mortgage payment.

Therese16
Level 5
Tucson, AZ

Airbnb has totally screwed Hosts with their response to the virus. In the past 15 years I have always worked out a solution to last minute cancellations which have occurred with travelers. Your solution is "winner take all". The burden should be shared between, Hosts, Travelers, and the company. I don't know the percentage for each, but the current solution is unethical, unprofessional, and unfair.

Gerhard4
Level 6
Davenport, FL

Realize this !: the corona virus is a burden for everyone, but the decision from Airbnb to invoke the extenuating circumstances policy is a not fair policy. The AirBnB CEO like to write a nice piece that we are all in this together m and that AirBnB is not receiving any funds with the cancelation is off course not in the same degree.
Most Hosts are on the platform , not because of a hobby, but as a business. We all have set up our specific terms and conditions to protect our business, AirBnB is handling as if they are the ones doing the actual work, but as they told a judge when being sued, they tell the world they are only a platform.. 
when people make travel arrangements they are making a financial commitment, and that is why people who travel (unless they have enough money to burn) get a travel insurance in case something happens, and they will not loose all their money . the insurance will payout when they are not able to travel for a legitimate reason.
Now what airbnb is doing, making the travelers problem, the problem for the hosts who rely on the income from the hosting platform. 
the travelers (again) are protected already!!

hosts can not insure themselves if guests are not able to arrive.

Airbnb should leave it up to the host incase the host do want to refund more than is required. now AirBnB is just being the boss over all of us...

this is not the first time AirBnB is acting selfishly, during hurricanes in florida , they like to advertise that they are the ones (get even in the news) to provide free stays for evacuees.

but in reality the hosts are the ones who will cary this burden..

I have opened the last few hurricanes some of our homes open specifically for evacuees who are traveling with pets since they have the hardest time to find a place. AirBnB still likes to take credit for that!! NOT GOOD.

I still have issues with a previous decision AirBnB made in my disadvantage, and they promised some one from legal would get back to me, never happened...

The corona virus is effecting all of us, but with the " so called help" of airbnb the scales are unfairly tipping over!!!

leaving the hosts becoming victims !!!.. 

Beth191
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Adding to this because, as a host in the Seattle area, we are finding ourselves in the same position.

We received a cancellation on March 13th for someone who was to arrive on the 14th. I assumed we would still receive full payment, as outlined in our cancellation policy. But then ON the 14th, I received notification from AirBnB that anyone staying between 3/14 and 4/14 could cancel with no penalty and no payment to the host.

Our guest cancelled prior to me receiving this notification so we should absolutely be paid. But no payment has come through and wait times on the phone are at least an hour.

I've signed one petition already and am hoping they do the right thing by hosts.

Dylan-and-Lizette0
Level 5
Scottsdale, AZ

Experiencing the same here. 4 cancellations within the last 24 hours. None of which, fall under the "Extenuating circumstances" guidelines. Two of my cancellations are from guests would booked within the last week. You're tell me that they had no prior knowledge of the situation within the last week and potentially would have to cancel their plans? Those are the people taking full advantage of AirBNB's new guidelines and it's completely screwing over hosts.... Might not be any better but now may be a time to jump to VRBO.

I haven't had time to go through the hundreds of comments here, and I am on board 100% that Air BnB will send hosts bankrupt and that the burden should be shared 50/50 guest/host, which is more than some hosts actually have to do if they have 30 or 60 day strict cancelation policies.

I was wondering if anyone agrees with me that what ABB have done is not within the law? The Extenuating Circumstances Cancelation Policy (ECCP) that we were all forced to agree to when we signed up clearly states that documented proof must be provided for Air BnB to accept and approve an ECCP. The very fact that ABB have put a button that the guest can press on their Trips page to cancel if it falls within certain booking/checkin dates, with no documented proof that they cannot fulfil their booking, is, I feel, against what we are contracted to in the ECCP.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Emmy-And-Bob0
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

what airbnb does it totally unfair to our owners. because of the current situation, everyone should take some lost, not put everything to the owners. I raised my airbnb price 90% higher than other listing sites and my own website since 2018. I still get 30% of bookings from them but not much. The higher price to cover the lost airbnb caused to me over the past 6 years.  I hope all the owners raise the price on airbnb to protect ourselves.

The terms listed in 1.2-9.7 make Airbnb's Extenuating circumstances refund unenforceable. they are stealing your money.... read and be ready to discuss this and request your money be returned per your original policy. Also, Airbnb considers us, third party independent contractors as Hosts, they consider Guests members of their Travel business, however by them canceling your calendar and full refunding is an illegal act and they have stolen our money. their extenuating circumstance policy has no authority behind it ... the terms of their agreement make it unenforceable read it and demand your money. please copy and paste to other Hosts you read are going through the same.

You can click on terms at the bottom of most pages and read for yourself.

Hi thanks I have written this to them but I don't expect them to do anything. Should I phone too?

Eleanor134
Level 2
Cardiff, GB

I'm in! From the UK!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

I'm sure many of you will miss my message here as I know this discussion is super active. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Lizzie and I am a Community Manager here in the Community Center. 

I wanted to thank you for your feedback and to say that your voices aren't going into the ether. Myself and my team here Stephanie and Quincy in the EN speaking Community Center have been actively feeding back on your words here, including questions, concerns and suggestions and escalating it within Airbnb.

As you have probably spotted there are a lot of discussion on this topic in the CC, so please bare with us as we try to keep up with everything and we will make sure we update you when we have more information. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hey any chance I get to see the many thousands of dollars stolen from my account? I never consented to this change. Thanks

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@LizzieIt might be a bit late to escalate things to AirBnB top brass .... our AirBnB guests are telling us "because of the incident on the Isle of Wight" or "because of the incident in Ventnor" .... we've had only 2 recorded cases of Coronavirus on the island so far .... AirBnB has overstepped the mark ..... we're fortunate as AirBnB only brings in about 10% of our bookings, but it still stings that AirBnB have done this .....

I got the same canned message, I'm pretty sure Airbnb is doing it for them.