Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sorry I'm just getting back to you @Trevor243. Thanks for letting me know about the messaging sent to guests. I'm going to give your feedback back to the comms team–as it is a little muddled by the sound of it. 

SIde note: I love Ventnor, I go to the Island pretty frequently as I have family there, they live nearer to Newport though. I remember staying near Ventnor as a child and because of the boat to get there, I always felt like I was going on an adventure (we were a Staycation family - although I don't think that word had been coined then). It is always such a treat to visit. : ) 

I hope you are doing ok and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lizzie  Many other hosts here on the island have said the same - guests cancelling "because of the incident in [Whitwell / Sandown / Shanklin / Newport / Ryde]" etc. It seems that all guests with bookings up to 14th April have been sent false information by AirBnB with an invitation to cancel.

Give us a shout next time you visit. If you'd like to meet other AirBnB hosts here too, we can arrange that.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Trevor243 Are there 'Hotel Tonight' hotels on the I.O.W.? Perhaps @Susan17 's observations apply chez vous? https://communitywithairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-Trying-to-Book-House-but-Airbnb-Isn-t-Allowing-due-...

@Anne-And-Cameron0 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Trevor243  if the link is not working, the post here on CC  is "Guest Trying to Book House but Airbnb isn't Allowing Due to Covid-19 Help" 

@Susan17  wrote "Airbnb is blocking the potential reservation, and funnelling the guests towards booking hotels instead..... the company has been ... providing.... templates 'Unfortunately we won't be able to stay at your place after all because of the incident affecting [host city]' "

@Anne-And-Cameron0  @Lizzie 

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen350  Wow, I can't believe AirBnB would stoop that low .....

Now is a good time to sign up with other OTAs to reduce the risks associated with using only one OTA which might take unilateral action like this .....

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lizzie  By the way, the Maritime & Coastguard Agency is (from Thursday) allowing passengers on the car ferries to remain in their cars for the crossing. Throughout the Coronavirus outbreak, guests can continue travelling, enjoy their stay in self-catering accommodation, and maintain social distancing / a high level of isolation. The island is almost the size of London, but while London has a population of about 10 million, the island has a population of just 140,000. Social distancing and isolation are easy here. There is no reason why holidaymakers need to cancel their holidays here.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Trevor243 and a massive yes to meeting you and other hosts on the island. Perhaps if this has all passed by the summer or Autumn we could have a bbq or a meetup on the beach.... : ) Got to have something to look forward to at the moment!

I wonder if people are just cancelling due to the general news and fear of travelling. This is day two for me working from home in London, but I had fully intended to still be at the office this week and the tubes on Monday were completely empty, so I feel that things are moving quickly.

I know the feeling on cancellations at the moment and the worry and concern is completely real, but I was thinking earlier as this is happening do you think for places like the isle of wight which aren't on complete lockdown that a secondary purpose of rebooking Airbnbs could be a good way to go and enable hosts to get some money ie. for domestic travel and also potentially if the schools close a place for one parent to work from? 

Thanks again Trevor.

OOo I should shortly have some news on your CC unique username (I know it's probably the last thing on your mind at the moment, but wanted to get it sorted) – I'll DM you when I do. 🙂 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lizzie 

"Perhaps if this has all passed by the summer or Autumn we could have a bbq or a meetup on the beach.... : ) Got to have something to look forward to at the moment!"

Yes, things can be arranged!

"I wonder if people are just cancelling due to the general news and fear of travelling"

We take bookings via AirBnB, TripAdvisor, HomeAway, Booking.com and direct bookings. We manage a large number of properties.

While we've had a couple of cancellations through HomeAway - one is a Virgin Atlantic steward who has been asked to take 8 weeks unpaid leave - he said with the current situation and no work and no income and the possibility of the situation carrying on longer, he can't afford his holiday - that's fair enough - and we've offered him an option for rebooking at a discount later in the year, which he said he will definitely take up if he isn't off work for too long.

But the overwhelming majority of cancellations have come as a result of the AirBnB email to guests with the false information of an incident, with the invitation to cancel at no cost.

"do you think for places like the isle of wight which aren't on complete lockdown that a secondary purpose of rebooking Airbnbs could be a good way to go"

If guests wish to move their booking to other dates, we and many other hosts are happy to do that.

AirBnB took that option away from us. AirBnB have stabbed hosts in the back.

We are lucky as AirBnB generates only about 10-12% of our income. AirBnB's actions have severely damaged income for other hosts who use only AirBnB. Only a tiny minority of AirBnB hosts use this Community, but the anger shown in here is reflected among other hosts we know who are not in this Community .....

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Fantastic, well I'm happy to bring my bbq! 🙂 

@Trevor243 

I'm glad to hear this is not going to wipe you out completely and I just hope you are flooded with bookings after this is all over. I wish that for everyone and I'll keep highlighting the suggestions and feelings shared here in the CC. 

I know senior members of Airbnb are working on different ways to support hosts, I know there isn't much faith in that here, but I want to say that this is true and I will be making sure any updates are highlighted here in the CC. 

Anything I can do to help, just shout. 🙂 Speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Lizzie,

Your responce is appreciated.

However, it will make no difference to me. I have lost thousands over this!!!

And I will be going down with the ship!

I rely on my bookings for 100% of my income. Since this decision, I have lost my medical insurance due to a cancelation. I have had to lay off my cleaner. (I am her only client).

And I may lose my dog to cancer, as she was supposed to have surgery tomorrow and I dont have the funds to pay the vet!!!

I am having to decide if I pay my phone and internet bills, or eat!

This is REAL for me!!!

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Lizzie  *removed offensive content*

Oh wait..... you did, except no invitations were sent.  Airbnb just behaved like the neighbourhood bully, rode roughshod over host cancellation policies and  stripped hosts bare of their income regardless.  Please bear with us while we vent rage.  This is the correct usage of the "bare" and "bear" words.  Just sayin'

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

haha, do you know what @Sharon1014, I always spell this word incorrectly  (I just don't use the word enough) and I was going to double check my dictionary before posting–I think because it was basically midnight at the time I responded that slipped my mind! hehe

I'm not sure where to go now! hehe...

--------------------

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Just a recommendation, don't supply guests a canned message when robbing us blind. There are no incidents in my area, and my latest cancellations read "due to the incident in Carnelian Bay". Thought it was funny until I saw it with one of my numerous cancellations.

Oh well, jokes on me. I'm just grateful that Airbnb and the guests are covered. Who cares about me.

맞습니다.에어비앤비는 너무 호스트에게만 책임과 손해를 전가시키고 수수방관하네요.