Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596
Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Please sign petition http://chng.it/Sj9nRW7VDn (AirBNB's UNFAIR treatment of HOSTS amid COVID-19)

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

From Airbnb's Answers to your hosting questions about the coronavirus:

in bold type, "we won't collect any fees for the canceled reservation"

Note the word "collect".

So, what are they doing? Are they really refunding the fees in the form of a coupon for use against future stays? Can anyone confirm, please? If true, this is taking disingenuosity to the point of dishonesty.

@Jenny349 

airbnb WERE keeping the guest service fee and proivding a voucher for future use, but since the global cancellation policy came into play they have changed tactics..   "to put in place a global policy allowing all guests to cancel eligible reservations for a full refund—including all Airbnb fees"

I agree it's hard to keep up, because there have been so many policies statements and releases, each with subtle changes.  

Thank you @Rowena29 - I missed that. I'm still mightily riled nonetheless! That Airbnb could even have countenanced pocketing the guest service fee - and indeed did so albeit in return for a voucher for future use - is the height of provocation in the light of their unilateral action to the disadvantage of hosts worldwide.

Nina69
Level 5
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Airbnb doesn't support hosts, we don't even have any cases where I am. Also why allow a whole MONTH of cancellations in stead of week by week as this overblown@media panic unfolds??? Moving back to VRBO asap they're less controlling and don't try to run the world

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

In this crisis, our first priority is the health of the public and our communities. We did not want guests making the decision to put themselves in unsafe situations and creating a public health hazard because of a commitment to their bookings. We believe this is the responsible thing to do given the guidance of governments and health experts. 

In fact, I really, really, do not like moralising from the mouth of a company which is quite happy to ride roughshod over my chosen cancellation policy with no consultation whatsoever,  which is deceitful in sending out a silly little automated message masquerading as a personal communication from the cancelling guest (huh, I actually thanked my first cancellation for reaching out to me personally, duh..), which has no qualms about taking all the glory for making a full refund with the host's money and which, it now appears, does not technically actually collect the guest fees - oh no - but does as good as in issuing coupons against future stays. The hypocrisy of it all really beggars belief. 

Alba160
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I been reaching to guest with an email (below). At this point i want guests to know Airbnb behind scenes. This morning i received an email from Airbnb asking me to refund the other 50% to a guest (a guest that agreed to share the loss). They are making this s*** retroactive. Like all of you, i am beyond mad. They have to be legally accountable. I already contacted an attorney. ALL of us, each state should sue. (Excuse my typos) . I cant wait for a f*** public apology and that money back in my bank account. Right now they only care about their IPO. Well, either way we can do a lot of damage. 1. I already have my listings on vrbo and hopefully there is more plataforms. 2.i"ll increase my rates on airbnb. 3.I'll keep looking into the legal aspect of this scam. PS. For a while i been feeling so let down by Airbnb. They side with guests, they pressured sometimes to "vive something  $" or it would be worse of you dont...

Let's Jeep pasing around the petition and join the host FB. Let's really do this and make them accountable. 

Hi Mary,

Hope you are safe and healthy. Just want to check in with you about next month reservation. I would also like to share some information RE what's going on with Airbnb and cancellation policy.

No one saw this situation coming, really terrible for all of us, absolutely. However, Airbnb is claming giving full refunds to guests and that's on expenses of us, the hosts. We have seen cases where guests are being charge a percentage on their refund. Airbnb is keeping that money. I have encouraged guests to reach out to Airbnb  and demand to be fully refunded. In a unprecedent situation like this, loss should be splitted 50/50 and Airbnb should compensate us (host & guest) the other 50%. Instead we are being force to carry the financial  burden. Not our fault. No ones fault. So, why just us?

We are disproportionally being hit. As you know we are not Marriott, but a person with bills to pay to.

We would like to ask you if you have travel insurance, to please reach out to them or if you work for a company to ask for a refund, as well to your credit card company. You might be covered for this kind of situation.  That would be a win-win situation.

Thank you,
Alba

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

You appear to be a California resident.  Please contact the California Attorney General's office and lodge an unfair business practices complaint against Airbnb.  

Kelly1202
Level 1
Houston, TX

What I don’t understand is that there is a difference between “allowing” guests to cancel, and “ENCOURAGING” guests to cancel witha “Hey! Cancel NOW for free!” automated message that they sent to guests. And Airbnb not only didn’t tell hosts they were going to send it, but we still don’t even know what it says!!  My guests were local - within a 1 hr drive to the beach to a private full house. Less risky than going to the grocery store. Shame on Airbnb. 

Eleanor134
Level 2
Cardiff, GB

I know this may sound bat**bleep** crazy and tin foil hat but I'm starting to think this is a deliberate way to reduce their book of properties. There might be a reason connected to the IPO. I understand that it's a clumsy way to do it but what if the quantity of properties is actually prohibitive to them and they need to 'downsize?'

With all due respect (because I feel your pain), I don't think times of emergency are a time for conspiracy theories.  We'll leave that to Fox TV and the Trump supporters.  Nobody expected this.  It is unfortunate for all.  AirBnB made the best decision that they could being in their difficult position.  I'm afraid however, that they blew it.  I'm 100% certain that history will show this.  That is a problem with these young, inexperienced CEO's.  They don't have the background and experience that us "old school" business people have.  I do think they have made themselves obsolete from this decision and in 5 years from now, it will all be pinpointed to this moment.  There will be a new platform that arises from the ashes.  I'm guessing that it will be one based on Blockchain technology and AirBnB will be like Netscape and MySpace.  VRBO will always get along just fine but AirBnB because they don't try to micromanage.  They are just a sales platform.  AirBnB will become a thing of the past because of this truly absurd decision to mistake their hosts as their insurance mitigation risk company.  

Ben3385
Level 2
Chicago, IL

@James207 I'm having a real problem refunding my guests from other platforms like VRBO who actually are entitled to a refund, because Airbnb has stolen their money and given it back to the guests who were NOT entitled to a refund under their cancellation policy.

As a company, Airbnb knows that hosts really don't matter that much.  Hosts will go to whichever platform the guests go to.  And after this debacle of Airbnb actually stealing money from VRBO guests to give to Airbnb guests, of course the guests will flock to Airbnb.  It's a shrewd, calculated move, and will be rewarded in spades. 

Maddening?  Definitely.  Illegal?  Most likely, but very well covered by Airbnb TOS.  The right call for Airbnb founders and other shareholders (e.g. Huge, rich VCs)  to reap literally Billions of dollars in the upcoming IPO?  Abso F-ing Lutely.

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Airbnb gave away our money and now they want Congress to take the bill. How about Airbnb taking responsibility for its own actions?

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-asking-congress-give-tax-relief-and-loans-to-hosts-2020-3?r=U...

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

I don't want a loan or a tax break.  I want the money that I am contractually owed by Airbnb.

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

"We are working day and night on a plan of action that will help you get through this extremely difficult time. We will share this with you as soon as possible in the coming weeks."

Not good enough.  A plan of action starting Monday is more like it.  I've read elsewhere that Airbnb is going to waive the 3% host fee.  Is this correct?  What else are you going to do?  Details please.

I think Airbnb's response to all of this does reflect on the lack of  maturity of its owners.  Very knee-jerk and patronizing.  Neither hosts or guests are children.  We are adults (surprise!) and quite capable of making our own decisions (another surprise!). 

If Airbnb did have to impose and over-ride host cancellation policies, they should have just issued 12 month coupons against future travel and paid hosts the expected revenue from existing bookings.  At least that way, hosts could have forward planned to manage the C-19 fallout on their own terms. 

Airbnb execs, you guys do really need to grow up, especially if you are going ahead with the IPO.  Investors will not like a management rabble at the helm or destablising/crushing of your host community.  You are a risk, plain and simple.